Awning direction lever spring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1joester2

I went to open and use my awning yesterday, and found that the direction lever spring has broken. I can still roll up and down OK, but the lever does not stay locked in either the "up" or "down" positions. I'm concerned that it will release while on the road and certain doom will follow.

For now, I am using a velcro cable tie to hold the arms together, but I need to replace the spring.
Has anyone done or paid to have this done?

Joe

This is my awning roller lock - 6' of 1/4" steel rod with 3"-4" top end bent to right angle - fits into end of awning roller slot - wraps around inside of upright front to back - secure bottom of rod with velcro strap.  Roller cannot turn so cannot unwind.

Attachments

• IMG_2643 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2643 (Small).JPG
    18 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2644 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2644 (Small).JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 35
Maddog348, your system works because it keeps the roller from turning, and therefor, the awning from unfurling and the arms from extending.

Joe, your keeping of the arms from extending DOES NOT prevent the wind from unfurling the awning and causing a great deal of damage.  The arms do not have to extend for the awning to billow out and rip to shreds.

I've seen it happen too many times.

Maddog 348

Would it be possible to get a picture of just the steel rod.  Perhaps it's because it's past my bedtime, but I'm just not clear on what looks like a good idea.

Thanks

You didn't mention the brand of awning, but replacing a torsion sprint & lock is not a difficult job and I've done it a couple times myself. It does require some caution because the spring is wound under tremendous pressure, but it is not a big challenge. A&E provides detailed instructions with a replacement spring and I suspect that Carefree does as well..

You are right - it will come loose and unfurl as you drive if there is any side wind.

Here's an awning lock that I use that you can make for less than $15.  Should last until you get around to replacing your torsion spring assembly.

jackm,

Here are a few more shots  --  still early so might not have focused well.  Also note I slid vinyl tubing over the length of rod (with the help of a little soapy water and a lot of screaming & cussing - hardest part of job.  It is really hard to get a good pic of 6' of 1/4" steel rod.    Kate

Attachments

• IMG_2732 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2732 (Small).JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2726 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2726 (Small).JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2729 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2729 (Small).JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2727 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2727 (Small).JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 20
I called A&E Dometic today and spoke with a technician about replacing the torsion assembly.

I have the installation instructions and am no stranger to extreme energy torsion springs.

Being one to not back down from a challenge, I think I'm going to dis-assemble the end and see if there is any chance to replace the broken/defective lock spring. If I cannot, then I will replace the assembly.

I really like the locks suggested, and will probably create one of my own but similar design. I'm thinking a vinyl coated steel cable would look better than a chain.
Either way, I will photograph my progress if I end up installing a new spring so others can $ave a few themselves if faced with the same problem.

Joe

I made, and use, the same one that Rolf referred to.  It's  worked like a champ for five years.

After looking closely at my awning, I don't think the chain type setup will work - the rivets are not in a position to provide the correct angle when/if the chains are installed.

It looks like Kates solution would fit best and I see how it simply could not unroll with the rod installed.

Kate,
Since I will be duplicating your efforts, were there any particular choices of colorful verbiage that seemed to work best?

Joe

You might luck out and be able to replace an internal part, but usually the problem is that the cam itself and/or the "lumpy" roller it pushes against is worn so that it no longer latches firmly in place. They are soft metal and abrade easily.  I don't remember there being a spring on the locking cam itself, but maybe.

Mine can be made to latch, it just won't stay latched. The cam action still feels as positive as day one in both directions.

Does anyone know if there is an after market solution to protecting the awning in the rolled up position? I see the new ones have an aluminum cover that rolls around the awning... a similar retrofit cover would be great!

Joe

Back
Top Bottom