Decided on a Dolly - what to look for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mc2guy

After a year with our new rig and several trips, we have decided that we do want to occasionally bring a toad for navigating around and seeing sights.  We are mostly weekenders plus a week or two here and there, not fulltimers.  I could probably live without it, but the cost of minivan rentals is getting high enough that a week at Disney will pay for half of a Dolly, and that seems to bring me to a break point since we are visiting the happiest place on earth in February.

I have studied the dolly vs. 4-down debate extensively and concluded that I would prefer to tow four down.  Unfortunately, I have two relatively new (5 and 2 y/o) paid-for vehicles that I won't be replacing any time soon.  One is towable 4-down but won't fit the family (Honda Accord 5spd two-door), the other, newer vehicle that does fit the family (Ford Freestyle FWD) is not towable 4-down.  In the future, when one of these two cars needs replacing (hopefully not for a while), I will buy something that can be towed 4-down and go that route.  In the mean time, there is a tow-dolly in my future. Soooo......

1) Surge Brakes vs. Electric Brakes? Which way to go...  I have no experience towing and do not know how to set up a brake controller, so surge brakes appeal to me, however, I recognize there are some limitations.  The biggest question I have is maintenance...electrics would seem easier to maintain, but I am not sure.  Any compelling reasons to go to electrics other than maintenance and controllability?  What about performance...either car is under 4000 lbs with fuel.

2) Do I need additional tow lights other than those on the dolly itself?  If so, is there a compelling reason to tie into the vehicle system instead of using magnetic portable lights?  Portable seems easier (no splicing) to me.

3) Other than a spare set of tie downs and safety cables (one from hardpoint on MH frame to dolly, one from dolly to hardpoint on vehicle) what else do I need to consider that I am not currently thinking of?

4) Anyone with brand preferences/experience here?  I am considering the MasterTow 80T and the Demco Tow-it2.

Thanks for your insights,
Christian

Have you called Remco to see what they recommend for the Ford.  I have a Ford Explorer I have towed and currently tow a Full size Chevy Van.  I use a Remco Pump on the Van and the Van is AWD.

I have seen FWD vehicles with a disconnect and they seem to work well.
For several years I towed a car carrier with a F150 on it.  The car carrier had electric brakes and I had no problems.
The only experience I have had with surge brakes is with Uhaul rentals and the short trips did not present a problem.

Most of my towing has been horse trailers with electric brakes.  The biggest problem has been the lights and brakes from sitting and building up corrosion.

I recently read they have wireless brake controller.

From my observations and a friends dolly you don't need additionally lighting.  I would recommend a dolly (tow wt may dictate) with brakes.  I don't believe you need any additional tie downs.  I would be more comfortable with the addition of mag lites along with the dolly lites (just me).

I liked towing the car carrier trailer, however it was a bit more work.  Finally , my wife refused to drive the vehicles up on it and we now flat tow.  flat towing has been much easier.
I suggest reviewing the following site and calling them.  They have been very helpful in the past.

Russ, WB3FQI/6

Unfortunately, there is no way to tow 4-down with the Freestyle as it is based on a CV transmission that requires a hydraulic pump to be operating internally.  This is confirmed through REMCO.  The tranny happens to be a fully sealed unit designed to remain sealed for it's life.  Ford doesn't even recommend opening it to change the fluid at 80,000 miles as originally prescribed.  They now tell their service techs/dealers to leave it sealed off until the unit breaks, then replace in full and that opening it to change the fluid will lead to premature failure due to the inevitable introduction of contaminants.  Preliminary indications show 160,000 miles as the life-cycle, although I will not own this vehicle past about 100,000 at our current usage rate of 12k per year.

Is there such a product as a CV joint disconnect for front wheel drive cars?  I have never heard of such a thing.

I checked Remco's site and saw the listing on your vehicle.

I have seen folks reach behind the front drivers wheel on Ford (small) vans and disconnect to tow the vehicle.  I don't recall which model's.

It doesn't sound like that is available for yours.

To bad cash for clunkers (not that yours is a clunker) is out of money you may have gotten a good deal on a towable vehicle.

Russ

I have a Mastertow and I love it I have changed cars 3 times and used the same dolly.
I may be wrong on this but I was told if you don't need extra lighting in your home state you don"t need extra lights on the road.
I don't have extra lights or tags Maryland has no such requirement.

Again I may be wrong

http://www.mastertow.com/

crosscountry said:
I checked Remco's site and saw the listing on your vehicle.

I think you might have mistaken my Freestyle for the Freestar, Fords old minivan model.  There is no lube pump product for the Freestyle and the REMCO site indicates as such. "Must by towed by tow dolly" is the comment on their site.

Wow...surprised there hasn't been more feedback given the dolly vs. dinghy debate.    :p

After further research, I have decided on the Master Tow 80THD with electric, not surge, brakes.  Talked to a buddy of mine and he convinced me having control of the electrics was better and provides more stopping power since it doesn't require the trailer to physically push on the reciever for the brakes to activate.

I am now considering brake controllers...looking at the Tenokesa Prodigy.  Why? Because I don't know what I need and that is what everyone says is the best/easiest in the posts I read.

I have a '08 F53 chassis.  Is it safe to assume that the chassis will have a "plug and play" harness for me to attach the controller, or is there something else I need to be aware of?  There is a 7-pin harness by the hitch receiver.

Lastly, after further reading on state law, it would appear there are several states that require a break away mechanism for activation of the brakes?  Any advice on this.  I see them online, but have no idea what is good/bad.  Anyone use an battery powered break-away kit and have an opinion?

Thanks,
Christian

I just sold a Master Tow 80  with surge brakes.    I towed a  2900 pound toad on the dolly for almost six years with no problems behind a 1995 Winnebago Vectra, 2003 Gulfstream SunVoyager, and 2003 National Islander.  Since no one made a baseplate for my old toad (1995 Nissan 240 SX, 5spd), the dolly was a relatively cheap way for me to take my paid-for mid-life fun car on my travels. 

Although you can legally rely on a dolly's brake/turn lights I also used a set of magnetic lights on the rear of my toad (just me!).  I replaced tires once and straps twice.  I lubed and checked brake fluid annually.  Except for LazyDays in Tampa and Tinker AFB, I was always able to store/park the dolly on my assigned campsite.  I towed the dolly from Key West to Vegas to Mt Rushmore to Pittsburgh to Alabama  and many points in between with no problems.  Brakes shoes were around 50% when I sold it.  I did like the surge brakes - hook it up and forget it.  If the dolly was moving forward on the ball its brakes were applied - the harder the push the harder the brake.  It also had a built-in break away brake.

I parked the dolly and Nissan for a year and bought an old jeep to tow four down on a trip from Alabama to Anchorage to San Diego and back.  That was because I didn't want to put my Nissan at risk of Alaskan Hwy.  I did find that the four down configuration required less of my physical energy and time (10 mins less) to hook-up/disconnect than the dolly configuration.  Also, hooking up in foul weather can be a real PIA.

I sold the dolly because I sold the Nissan after I bought a Jeep Liberty (easier on back and hips)  to tow four down.

I'm in the same situation deciding to buy a Master Tow Dolly but unsure if i should go for surge or electric brakes, or if brakes are even needed.  I'm pulling with a 43' Contessa that has an engine brake and will likely tow a 4,500 pound Town and Country, but on occassion a light Prius, both 2009's.  Thoughts on surge, electric or nothing?

Brakes on the towed vehicle & dolly will help keep it behind the motorhome is you have to make a panic stop, especially if swerving at the same time.  And the additional braking will stop you more quickly, even though your Contessa probably will stop ok without them.  Plus many states and Canadian provinces require brakes on trailer over 2000-3000 lbs anyway.

Bottom line is you can never have too much brake capacity. Get the brakes.

Surge vs electric is a tougher question. I think electric is a better system in the long term, but surge works ok too.

I found a brand new MasterTow THD 80 with electric brakes at a dealer for $1400.  The incremental cost for brakes on a new dolly is generally only a couple hundred bucks and is not only worth it, it is the law in most states.  A trailer break-away kit was about $50, and the brake controller was another $100.  All told, $1600 after tax.

Even with your "light" Prius (curb weight of 2950 lbs without gas or fluids), when combined with the weight of the Dolly (generally around 500 lbs +/-), you will exceed the 3000 lbs threshold set by most state to mandate trailer braking.

As posted in another thread here where a little girl was killed by an RV'er who was not following towing laws, not only is it more dangerous (you will undoubtedly increase braking distance, no matter how strong your coach brakes are), but you are opening yourself up to criminal charges and/or civil law suits should you get into an accident.

Get the brakes.

Magnetic lights for the toad. Yes or no, I know they are not required in NYS, if so what kind or where.

Gary

gcharte said:
Magnetic lights for the toad. Yes or no, I know they are not required in NYS, if so what kind or where.

Gary

I got them even though they are not required.  Towing our Freestyle, the back of the car was a good 10 ft behind the dolly lights and I could easily see a situation where someone could be inattentive, staring at the back of the towed car and not notice the brake lights on the dolly or motorhome.

Not sure of the brand...cheap incandescent bulbs.  I did add some foil reflective material inside the housing to increase the brightness of the lights.  I might spring for LEDs if I did it again

I have towed with several differant tow dollies during the last 20 yrs. and have a Master Tow that I have used across country and have good luck. Electric brakes. I have it for sale and I'm in Phoenix for the winter.  I am going to purchase a Demco Kar Kaddy SS for storage convenience.

Speaking of dollies, I've been looking for one myself and came across an ultralight "eze-tow" dolly made by ACME.  Has anyone heard of this dolly or have any experience with it?  I'm looking for a dolly to tow my 2010 nissan maxima which can only be towed by dolly or trailer.

thank you,
Lou

LSCosta said:
Speaking of dollies, I've been looking for one myself and came across an ultralight "eze-tow" dolly made by ACME.  Has anyone heard of this dolly or have any experience with it?  I'm looking for a dolly to tow my 2010 nissan maxima which can only be towed by dolly or trailer.

thank you,
Lou

I purchased one in April of last year and have towed it about 6000 miles with a 2008 VW New beetle on board and have had no problems. Mine has the surge brakes and I am going to tow a Kia Sorrento on it this year when we go to Canada in June. I really like the eze-tow because it is light and easy to move around and stored easily behind the MH in any oe the parks we have been to so far. The one thing is it has removable ramps that you either store on front of the dolly or as I do in the underbelly storage. I think it should handle your Maxima without problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom