Stripped Rochester fuel filter fitting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adun015

Don't throw out that Rochester Q-jet just yet. Some of the old timers may know about this but the new Auto Parts stores do not carry this anymore. I am speaking of Auto Zone, Advance Auto and O'Reilly's. There use to be a huge problem when changing out the Carburetor filter that the fitting would strip out. I have done massive research on this and found all kinds of remedies and fix's and inserts since mine has stripped out but none seemed to be a permanent fix.
The part you need is Dorman ( Motormite could be used in the desc. ) Help products. The Q-jet number is 55140 and is the one inch oversize self tapping fitting and you need a 1 1/8" wrench to fit it. My mechanic could not even find one but knew it was out there some where. They also make these for Holly Carb's but I didn't get that part number nor specs.
I had gotten to the place where I was going to buy a complete carb. just to get this fixed and found that most of the rebuild carbs already had this piece in place. I had also noticed that the Edelbrock replacement carbs required an external fine filter as they did not use this fitting. What I have decided to do is rethread using the oversized fitting but not use the insert fuel filter. I will use an external fuel filter prior to the fitting that allows the element to be changed without taking the chance of stripping out the fitting yet again . Just an FYI for those with the older MH looking to fix that leaking Carb once and for all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom