Our trip. PA to YS to GC (8/29/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darin

Summary:
    We have about 34 days allotted for our trip.  Family of 5 Me, Wife 3 kids 14, 16, 18 in recently purchased 1990 34' Pace Arrow. 
Loosely planned route to Cincinnati, Colby WI, then to MT Rushmore, YS, down through Utah trying to zig zag our way down so we can see all the good stuff. A friend that's 'been there done that'  printed us a map of "must see's".  To Grand Canyon, then to relatives in New Mexico, then home by Oct 3rd.  *whew*

I did a tune up just before we left.  Annnnnnnndd. I made the mistake of pulling 4 wires at one time on one side of the motor. I know one at a time is the right way.  But, since it was easier to crawl in behind the wheel and change the plugs from the bottom I pulled all 4 wires, not a few seconds later I realized it was a bad idea.  I looked at the wires, all 4 were different lengths,  I figured that was the indicator of where they went. Wrong.  When we left, it seemed to be running a little rough. But actual idled ok, ran smooth enough at 65mph, but hated hills.  Since I'm a not a real mechanic, and don't play one on TV either, I waited a about 400 miles to take a closer look.  At the campground, I jumped on the scooter and rode to a nearby GM dealer. I asked him to print out a wiring/firing diagram.  Back to camp. Sure enough, 2 plug wires crossed. Made the correction. Ahhhhhh purred like a kitten and scampers up hills now.

But, that wasn't before 2 other "indecents".  The thing about a 20 year old motorhome is.  It isn't going to break in the driveway.  Everything that's about to break, is going to break on the road, while driving, on the free way. 
    #1. 2 muffler hangers broke, so every bump on the road gave us a lovely dragging sound.  I did a temp fix with a chain hanging the exhaust from the frame. Found an Auto Zone, 2 new hangers and 3 new clamps. Good as new, 45 minutes lost. No biggie.
  #2. Loud squeal and smoke from under the hood.  Pulled over, grabbed extinguisher ready to take care of under hood fire.  What I found was a froze AC pump/clutch.  The belt was being pulled over a pulley that wasn't turning.  That belt only fed the AC, so I cut it. Back on the road, no big problem.  The dash AC isn't very efficient in a 34' behemoth anyway.  And, it's not really hot enough to need it right now.  I'm hoping it's just the clutch. That's an easy and inexpensive fix.

We really didn't have any idea what to expect at RV parks, since this is our first experience with this.  What we are finding is. This is the time of year to do this. They are virtually empty.  Which we LOVE.  We stayed at a Jellystone campground. Over 200 site, 3 other campers. Ahhhh, perfect.  Across the road, amusement  with great roller coasters and water  slides.  Almost empty.  The parking lot was empty, it was almost a ghost town.  No lines.  Ahhhh, perfect.
  Another thing about RV parks we are finding, the RV's we do see, seem to be hooked up for the season.  And, they are almost ALL pretty new.  We are at a pak right now in IL, there are a hundred or so seasonal trailers and MH's, almost all newer with slide outs.  When I pull into a park, I feel like everyone's wondering what the riff raff in the 20 year old RV is doing in "their" park.  :)  People seem pretty nice though, and seem to accept the "hillbillys" that we must look like in our gas engine beige RV without slide out.

5 people in a 34'er is about the limit.  We have plenty of room, everyone is comfy. But one more person would be too much.  The RV shower is actually big enough for me. Planning on what food to keep in the cabinets is a learning curve.  How much water to keep in the tank so you have enough that you need, but not more weight than you need to haul around? 

GPS is GREAT!  The single most important thing we have in the RV.  That along with 2 map books and internet (laptop connected to cell phone) help us plan the next stop and call ahead. 

A few pics:

Attachments

• camped 1.jpg
    camped 1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 50
  • camped 2.jpg
    camped 2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 41
  • camped 3.jpg
    camped 3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 34
  • driving.jpg
    driving.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 46
  • first night camp.jpg
    first night camp.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 41
  • kids.jpg
    kids.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 53
  • roadside exhaust fix.jpg
    roadside exhaust fix.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 47
Looks like you're learning some RVing "truisms"

~There's always something to fix on any RV

~Fall is a lovely time to travel (but don't let everyone else know that)

~You can have fun in any RV - bigger is not always better

Enjoy the trip.

Wendy
Cortez Colorado

Darin said:
   We really didn't have any idea what to expect at RV parks,  I feel like everyone's wondering what the riff raff in the 20 year old RV is doing in "their" park.  :)   People seem pretty nice though, and seem to accept the "hillbillys" that we must look like in our gas engine beige RV without slide out.
   GPS is GREAT!  The single most important thing we have in the RV.  That along with 2 map books and internet (laptop connected to cell phone) help us plan the next stop and call ahead.   

Hi, Darin!
  Just 3 short years ago we were "newbies", so it's exciting to be able to maybe help someone instead of being the one helped.  You've already found your biggest source of help--the RVForum--there are so many people here with so much knowledge!  My husband and I have found THE NEXT EXIT, a book available on line and at Flying J type places to be of such help.  They tell you what services are at each exit on the interstates--rest stops, RV parks, teen restaurants with hamburgers, real restaurants, WalMarts, gas, etc.  TRAILER LIFE (book or CD, but only compatible with PCs, not MACs) lists many RV parks (and all the luxury ones).  It makes for easy comparisons.  KOA Campgrounds usually have wonderful facilities for your teens--game rooms, pools, wifi, mini golf courses, etc.  However "Keep On Adding" camps usually have narrow roads and cost more.
  The GPS will take you on "wild adventures" sometimes & some of our favorite stories come from mishaps, so if time is of the essence, it is good to back it up with a map and check every now and then.

We have The Next Exit book, but haven't thought to open it yet.  The GPS seems to think the best way between to places is every small road with stop signs that's "shorter" than just going 2 extra miles and getting on the interstate. :)

So far though, I've been checking with the map, and it's working pretty well. 

We are having a blast though, and making family memories.

The GPS seems to think the best way between to places is every small road with stop signs that's "shorter" than just going 2 extra miles and getting on the interstate.

Darin, you need to reset your GPS to Faster instead of Shorter which will take you off at an exit an put you right back on because it saves 20 feet.  Very irritating when it does that and you have to learn to ignore those directions.  Faster is also safer to use when you're in the RV because you don't want to get off on little roads that can cause problems - not being able to turn around, low bridges, etc.  We use the Shorter setting in the car, but not the RV.

Glad your adventure has started and you're having fun.

ArdraF

Actually, it is set to Faster Time  :)

We have also been really happy with passportamerica.com  We have been enjoying the 50% discounts at some of the campgrounds.  Their website is the first I check for discounted camps. 

Things I'm learning about RV'ing.  

Cars are in a hurry, and RV's are not.

RV Parks fill up fast, and many are first come first served.  

100 miles of driving is nothing, a blink.  200 miles? still not much.  

Don't trust a gas gauge on a 20 yo RV.  Have AAA! Which I did, thankfully.

Bolts come loose while driving. Not while parked.  Bolts on and around the motor are hard to get to on an RV.  A power steering pump can be held on with one bolt. :)

If you're going 65, and trucks are passing at 75 or 80, hold on to the steering wheel, and time the gust just right so you don't get blown over the white line.

Once a truck passes, and is in front of you, don't follow him at 100 yards, there is a goofy swirling wind at 100 yards back.  

Don't text while driving, unless it's really important, or you're sending the pictures you're taking while driving to your friends and Facebook!

6% grade is just enough to need occasional brakes.   The 10% grade at Mt Rushmore is a chore.

Hit up hills with as much speed as you can at the bottom.  Momentum lost on a hill cannot be regained.

My RV should have another gear.  It runs in the sweet RPM spot in 2nd at 40mph and Drive at 65mph.  It hates 50mph.

There aren't Guitar Center music stores in every town.  :(

Don't drive every day of your vacation.  We did that.  Hated it. Did I say I HATED it? I did for the first 15 days.

Drive to somewhere cool/fun. Pull into the campground in the afternoon, get up the next day, goof all day spend alot of $$$.  Go back to camp, enjoy a beverage. The NEXT day, drive to the next cool place.  

Scenery is ok to look at. After the 1st "ohh and ahh", no matter what you see after that is not quite as spectacular.  Seeing stuff is ok, but doing stuff is way better.  Big rocks, arches, buttes, platues,  need to be explored, climbed, photographed, drivin around on rented jeeps, atv's etc.

Not all campground water tastes the same.

Get the National Parks annual pass, join passportamerica.com. Call ahead and make reservation as soon as you know where you're staying.  

There are too many kids without parents that discipline them and let them run wild around the campground annoying other campers.  

It's rare to see a 20yo RV.  If you do, it WILL have an exhaust leak, like mine.  :)

Don't bother keeping track of how much money you're spending on vacation.  I'm not!  :)

Countless people are pulling over and taking pictures of the SAME THING!  

Some places (nat. parks) will have signs telling you to keep of the grass, other places will tell you to enjoy yourself and let you climb on top of mountains with sheer drops and no fences or rails.  (Angels Landing at Zion: 5 people have fallen the 1000 feet off the edge I was scared, but made the climb.  :)

Take a scooter on the back of the RV.  It has come in handy and been a blast to have once we get to our locations.

Take lots of DVD's!

More to come....

Pics of trip on my Facebook page

Darin --

Thanks for sharing!

You've brought back long buried memories of the "One Lap of America" trip that our family, boys 15 and 14, daughter 9, plus us parents, took in 1982.

New 17-foot Starcraft pop-up trailer pulled by a 1977 Olds Cutlass wagon that turned 105,000 miles as we pulled out of the driveway....... NC to FL to TX to CA to WA to Calgary to MT, WY, UT, CO, to St Louis to NC --- Whew! Six weeks, 12,000 miles.  Never a dull -- or bad -- moment! (well, we did learn to live through the summer w/o ac in the car as it quit the first day, and we did buy a lot of camper tires until we finally switched to radials, and we did hit a bump in AZ that dislodged the water tank....and... and... and, but that was , now, just part of the fun)  The kids still bring up memories of that trip every time we get together

Good Luck and Great Times to you and your family!

Don and Mary Ann

Well, all done.  Anyone want to buy a 90 Pace Arrow? :)

It was fun. Not sure I'd do it again. In fact. I wouldn't.  4 weeks is just too long for us.  Instead of 4 weeks every year. We're going to take 1 week every 3 months.  And no motorhome. Perhaps a trailer or truck camper. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom