On the road computing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do people on the road do their computing?

• Laptop to campground WIFI

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Laptop to cellular

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Built-in

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Laptop-to-built-in

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something not listed here

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

WheelDweller

I'm thinking most people here use laptops like the largest majority of 'portable America'. But I'll bet there's a few, like owner-operators of semi's that have something built-in, and use it, or a laptop to it, to get to the outside world.

I'm working on a way to let the built-in decide how to get to the net, and provide services inside and nearby. There's a lot of fun things (as well as useful things!) a built-in can do, and it's really not that hard.  I know, because I'm doing them.

You'll have to explain what you mean by "built-in".  That's not a widely accepted term for anything I'm familiar with.

I suspect you'll find a great variety of computing and networking equipment installations among the RVing crowd. 

Folks have satellite internet access that they propagate throughout their rigs and make available as hot spots for neighbors.

I personally use Verizon data (cell phone tether) with two laptops and a network printer.

Tell us more about what you have in mind.

What is your definition of "laptop to cellular" -- a cell phone tethered to a laptop? (I also don't know what a "built-in" is.)

We use a Verizon USB modem in a Cradlepoint router.  In addition, we have an external antenna and an amplifier.  I'm not sure where that fits in your choices.

Some (many?) of us use multiple methods to access the internet.  Right now, I have my HughesNet service as well as the campground WiFi connection and both are active.  I do this whenever it's possible as weather can interfere with the satellite connection and campground WiFi isn't always reliable.  I also have a backup option of tethering my cell phone via BlueTooth to my desktop computer via the VZW data feature.

when are we going to see some benefit from the old broadcast tv bands that were taken over when we switched to digitial tv?  those frequencies have a huge range compared to current wifi and could put almost everyone within range of wireless service.  our average bandwidth is much lower than Japan, S. Korea, most of Europe and there is no sign that anyone really gives a damn at the FCC.  Even Caldonia has better coverage and lower costs than the gool ole USofA.  JMHO.

We use laptops with wireless connection to router and internet access through Datastorm.  Wireless in laptops also allow campground WiFi when satellite is not running.  For backup we use Cingular data card as backup.  Both satellite and data cards are also used at home base.

We also use Datastorm....is that what you mean by built-in? If we're at a campground with good wi-fi, we might use that (although Mike usually prefers using the Datastorm). We use the same Datastorm system at home utilizing an extra dish that he bought for cheap.

Wendy

I'm confused about the terminology, too. However, in the spirit of cooperation: We use desktop computers with wifi or, alternatively, a Verizon aircard. We prefer good wifi for the speed.

WheelDweller said:
I'm thinking most people here use laptops like the largest majority of 'portable America'. But I'll bet there's a few, like owner-operators of semi's that have something built-in, and use it, or a laptop to it, to get to the outside world.

I'm working on a way to let the built-in decide how to get to the net, and provide services inside and nearby. There's a lot of fun things (as well as useful things!) a built-in can do, and it's really not that hard.  I know, because I'm doing them.

If you mean you want the air card built in, I have a HP1151NR on the Verizon Wireless plan. See  here.

-Don- Reno, NV​

Pierat said:
I'm confused about the terminology, too. However, in the spirit of cooperation: We use desktop computers with wifi or, alternatively, a Verizon aircard. We prefer good wifi for the speed.

Pierat

We have a Verizon aircard/Cradlepoint router servicing our two computers. Normally, I find that setup provides much better and consistent speed as well as more comfortable security that CG wi-fi. Not trying to be contentious, but how does CG wi-fi provide better speed for you ???

Bernie - Just perception. I haven't clocked it. Guess I should have been more precise. The long answer is that we haven't mastered getting both computers to run from the aircard, just one at a time, so it's more convenient to use wifi when the wifi is at a decent speed. I need to call Applecare and get the network configuration set up properly between the two iMacs. We've been traveling and I haven't gotten to it. I did get it going once then introduced the Time Capsule to the equation, and no more aircard sharing. I'm sure it will work out. Theoretically, the air card feeds one iMac which shares it with the other iMac via the machine's own wifi network, while the Time Capsule operates on an Ethernet (wired) connection only (automatic, regular backups) to the main iMac. The Time Capsule has its own wifi router, but it presumes an incoming, wired internet connection. The only way to use an aircard for that input is to purchase an expensive (non-Apple) router adapter, which I've resisted so far because apparently Apple thinks it is an experimental method. - John

There are basically 3 ways to connect to the internet on the road

1: WI-Fi,, Most modern computers, (Anything that runs Windows 98 or newer or the equivlent in Apple/Mac age) can support a Wi-Fi adapter, eitehr a card, or a USB adapter or both.. My laptops and my mini-tower both support both.

The problem with Wi-Fi is there has to be a host router nearby you can use

2: Cellular:  Same as above, only now you pay like sixty dollars a month for the service and you have a connection any time you are in range of a tower,, MOST, but not all, of the United States is covered by cell towers... Some providers are better than others.. Verizon is supposed to have the best coverage but thanks to their cuss-some-more non-service I'd rather try AT&T.

3: 2-way Satellite Internet Service.. Hughes or Starband.  about the same price per month as #2, but the initial hardware is more costly (one to six thousand)  Coverage is basically "CoNental US" (Conus) with fly specks of "Can't connect" due to something in the way (or due to a radar detector nearby)

There is much more to post, epically about satallite, but I will leave that for "If you are interested"

John, as usual, a very cutesy post, but do you have definitive, first hand, experience that you care to share on the Verizon v/s AT&T customer service?  I've not heard anyone disparage Verizon customer service.  Just curious.....

BTW - There are alternatives to the "sixty dollar" data plans with Verizon cellular.  Tethered phone at $50, for example.  Also the addition of a Cradlepoint router will allow your own wifi capable computers to share the connection.

John From Detroit said:
2: Cellular:  Same as above, only now you pay like sixty dollars a month for the service and you have a connection any time you are in range of a tower,, MOST, but not all, of the United States is covered by cell towers... Some providers are better than others.. Verizon is supposed to have the best coverage but thanks to their cuss-some-more non-service I'd rather try AT&T.

So far, I have not found a place where my V/W netbook computer won't work. But what type of problems have you heard about their customer service? Their on-line website is good for asking dumb questions with a live person. But I think the best customer service is the one that you don't need much, if at all.

3: 2-way Satellite Internet Service.. Hughes or Starband.  about the same price per month as #2, but the initial hardware is more costly (one to six thousand)  Coverage is basically "CoNental US" (Conus) with fly specks of "Can't connect" due to something in the way (or due to a radar detector nearby)

It doesn't work in Hawaii, Alaska & Canada & Mexico? Why not? And are there any limits on how long you can stay on line without extra charges? I always wondered how that worked. But that seems good for the RV as mine  already has a satellite dish, but has a lot of advantages too, such as trying to use it from several different cars.

There is much more to post, epically about satallite, but I will leave that for "If you are interested"

I am interested in learning as much as possible about satellite internet, but I think for now, my V/W netbook computer fits my needs better. At least I hope so, because I am stuck with it for a couple of years. While I don't post many messages with it, I use it fairly often to read stuff and I am  glad I went for the $60.00 five GB plan as I am already well over the forty dollar  250 MB for the month.

-Don-  SSF, CA​

John P

OK, all bets are off. I wasn't thinking Apple. I withdraw all comments ;)

With our PC setup, Marlene's desktop is hardwired to the router and I am on wi-fi. Logistically, the printer works best by my laptop so Marlene prints over the wi-fi network to the printer and we are both happy with our thruput.

Don

We just had an interesting situation in Smith Center, KS (about mid-state on US 36). Couldn't get a signal on the Verizon aircard but our Sprint phone had 4 bars. Marlene's computer tethered to the phone worked fine but she couldn't get a good wi-fi signal from the campground. I had good wi-fi reception and used that. I can't explain any of that :D

Don and (Detroit) John,

It doesn't work in Hawaii, Alaska & Canada & Mexico? Why not? And are there any limits on how long you can stay on line without extra charges?

We are in Canada, did not change our Hughes/Motosat satellite (89) internet.  It was excellent all the way to Perce' on the Gaspe Penninsula of Quebec and at the moment we are east of Winnipeg.  Once you get more northerly you will loose the coverage; but if you stay within a couple hundred miles north of the US/Canada border.  Since most of the cities of Canada are within that limit, it works very well.

As far as limits, we use it just like we do in the States.  It's no different just because we are in Canada.

Our DirectTV also works.  If we can get one, we can get the other.

We don't travel in Mexico, so I can't report on how it works there.

Marsha~   

Marsha/CA said:
Don and (Detroit) John,

It doesn't work in Hawaii, Alaska & Canada & Mexico? Why not? And are there any limits on how long you can stay on line without extra charges?

We are in Canada, did not change our Hughes/Motosat satellite (89) internet.  It was excellent all the way to Perce' on the Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec and at the moment we are east of Winnipeg.  Once you get more northerly you will loose the coverage; but if you stay within a couple hundred miles north of the US/Canada border.  Since most of the cities of Canada are within that limit, it works very well.

As far as limits, we use it just like we do in the States.  It's no different just because we are in Canada.

Our Direct TV also works.  If we can get one, we can get the other.

We don't travel in Mexico, so I can't report on how it works there.

Marsha~   

Hello Marsha,
If you are willing to share the info could you give more details about the satellite internet service?  Is it part of Direct TV?  Does it use the same dish?  Somehow you have to transmit info to the satellite and that always seemed like a tricky alignment but maybe it is easier than I think?  The satellite is 26,000 miles away, how long after you click on an internet link does it take to get a response?  Maybe your downlink is satellite and your up-link is phone?  I just know so little about satellite internet.  How do they bill you, flat rate or based on usage?  The advertisements never really talk about these kind of topics...  thank you, Gary.

Back
Top Bottom