Have RV ...Looking for a REALLY adventurous route in West Virginia...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1azntt

Hello Everyone!
My wife and I have gone full time with an RV...but before we leave our native state, Virginia, we would like to take another couple with us to West Virginia (separate state, not western VA ;)) ...in october.

It's sort of a halloween extended weekend getaway...we're looking for something to REMEMBER...  obviously not an actual psycho killer on the loose type thing, but that type of environment, one which would really give you the willies!  Please let me know if you have any recommendations for eerie camp sites in the mountains of West Virginia! We don't care whereabouts, just something good to get us going and make our weekend fun!

We would like to be able to have campfires at our site as well.

Thanks in advance........

1azntt
and his new Forest River ;)

Only been in a couple of spots in WVa and it seemed like it was all pretty "adventurous" to me :) Spent a couple of hours in Harper's Ferry and like it....lots of good "adventurous" history. Other than that, just drove thru that little bitty piece on the way from Pittsburgh to Columbus. Maybe you could try Washington DC - that's a pretty scary place, Halloween or not  :D

Maybe someone else will pipe up with some possibilities.

Wendy

Wendy said:
Only been in a couple of spots in WVa and it seemed like it was all pretty "adventurous" to me :) Spent a couple of hours in Harper's Ferry and like it....lots of good "adventurous" history. Other than that, just drove thru that little bitty piece on the way from Pittsburgh to Columbus. Maybe you could try Washington DC - that's a pretty scary place, Halloween or not  :D

Maybe someone else will pipe up with some possibilities.

Wendy

Hey Wendy!
Thanks a lot for the advice! This certainly does help! The more i know the better right??  I am assuming you mean DC is a nightmare for RVers?? I can only imagine....I can barely handle a couple highways locally, and they are nothing of the caliber of DC...
Thank you for the advice! More advice is welcome too!
*1azntt

US 50 W used to be a very adventurous route. I have not travelled it in a long time, but as far as I know the most mountainous parts have never been improved. Scary at times in a CAR.

You can pick it up in Winchester, VA, and take it to Grafton, WV (birthplace of Mother's Day).

If you go north from there to the Morgantown area, there is a nice wooded mountain top park near Coopers Rock State Park with full hookups: Sand Springs Campground. I have not been there in a few years. The guy who had just taken it over at the time was busily improving it, including adding Wi-Fi throughout the park. Campfilres welcome. Because it is heavily wooded, it can be quite dark and spooky at night.

LOL! I just realized that the fiver in the first picture on the Lodging page of their website is our New Horizons.

US 33 W from Harrisonburg can be a hoot, also. Narrow winding mountain roads. There are sections of divided highway that spoil the fun once you get to somewhere around Elkins, I think. But then you could take US 250 N to the Morgantown area. That road can be fun.

FYI: I grew up in the Fairmont/Morgantown area and occasionally visit family there. I have other family (in-laws) in Shenandoah, VA.

I agree, US 50 would be an adventure in an RV.  Make sure your passengers have their Dramamine before you set out - they'll need it as you swoop through endless tight, banked curves.  Just remember to take your time!  :)

THANK YOU for the responses! Sounds excellent!
Might I ask if anyone knows what the "With Good Sam discount"
is??

Might I ask if anyone knows what the "With Good Sam discount" is??

Campgrounds accept your Good Sam membership card and give you a 10 percent discount on your night's stay.  Some folks don't like Good Sam because they send too much junk mail but we've always belonged and it pays for itself relatively quickly, especially if you're on a lengthy trip.  When there are two campgrounds near one another with comparatively equal facilities we'll go the the one that has Good Sam because it costs less.  If you look in the Trailer Life Campground Directory you'll see that GS members have the GS logo next to their entry.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Campgrounds accept your Good Sam membership card and give you a 10 percent discount on your night's stay.  Some folks don't like Good Sam because they send too much junk mail but we've always belonged and it pays for itself relatively quickly, especially if you're on a lengthy trip.  When there are two campgrounds near one another with comparatively equal facilities we'll go the the one that has Good Sam because it costs less.  If you look in the Trailer Life Campground Directory you'll see that GS members have the GS logo next to their entry.

ArdraF

thanks for the explanation !!

Try scenic route 1 by the New River Gorge. DH said if we got off that road alive he would never take a scenic route again. ;D

Back
Top Bottom