Motor Home Vs Travel Trailer/5th Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FamousWarrior

Hi. n00b here. I have some questions;

Which mobile home is more practical? One already attached to the car or one that is separate from the car and can be towed by a truck?

I want to buy a mobile home to full time in and being a n00b, i don't want to have regrets later.

I have a Toyota Tercel, a small 4 cylinder & 4 door car, that I want to tow along.

Would it be practical to have the truck tow the trailer AND the car?

What type of truck would I need?

What are the advantages of a Motor Home compared to a Travel Trailer/5th Wheel?

Choosing which RV to use is a tough question; and a lot of factors come into play.  You can do a search in our library by clicking the "library" button above.  There are articles and discussion on just your question.

Marsha~

If you intend to tow a car, you have limited yourself to a motorhome.  Towing a trailer behind a trailer is widely illegal unless you possess a commercial drivers license with proper endorsement.

Marsha,

Thanks for the response.

I have been to the Library here in RVForums.net and have picked up scattered and subtle pieces of information and clues and what I'm looking for is a full-on discussion versus the two, kind of like the Stick House Vs Motor Home topic.

Are Travel Trailers worse because someone could easily steal your house? How is that prevented? Are Motor Homes worse because some of them can start leaking carbon monoxide or other dangerous substances under the right conditions?

What are the pros and cons of each?

I already see that Travel Trailers are more roomie and more expensive according to local sale prices here in Las Vegas, Nevada. But what do more experienced users have to say?

That is my core interest.

Carl,
I thought it was a little too crazy to tow a tow! :p Thanks for this valuable bit of info, it weights heavily on my decision process.

I don't think that travel trailer owners feel that they can "easily" be stolen and it can be prevented by buying a lock for the hitch coupler for when you are not connected to it. I've also seen chains on the wheels that would slow somebody down.  And motor homes would have carbon monoxide detectors to warn in the unlikely event of a leak.

Travel trailers are not more expensive than motor homes if that was what you suggested.  Quite the opposite.  But it appears that you have been looking and that would be the best advice possible.  After seeing the options you can start to feel more comfortable about one or the other.  Would you enjoy driving a larger rig and how much space do you need for living and for storage?  There are a lot of ways that RVs are used and trying to match the unit to your ultimate use of it will help you determine the style of RV that is best.

Keep looking is a great suggestion.  You might also want to establish a budget.  Once you do, you may find that you have fewer, or possibly even more options.  Ask yourself questions, how many miles will I drive it/pull it, how often will I move it, where will I be going, (mountains, flatland etc), how much storage do I need, how many beds, and etc.  Once you have figured out how you will use the RV, what your budget is, your decision will be easier, because its likely your needs and budget will point you to a specific type of RV.

Once you settle on type, then the hard part begins, choosing a model number and mfg,,,

Mostly convenience while actually traveling. A motorhome is wonderful to pull over for a lunch or bathroom break or stop for an overnight stay. Easier to park, easier to set up on the campsite, etc. However, that "easier" and "more convenient" is not a substantial difference - maybe 10-15 minutes worth. If you stay in one place for several days, it fades to insignificance.  We have owned both and currently drive a 40 ft motorhome, but I just don't see the differences as a big deal.

The downside is they are more expensive to buy and maintain and insure.

Would it be practical to have the truck tow the trailer AND the car?
Generally no, for the reason Carl stated. Plus, it is a cumbersome combination to maneuver.

What type of truck would I need?

A full size truck, van or large SUV will work for most trailers.  You must have a pick-up truck for a fifth wheel trailer, but a travel trailer can be hitched to any of the three types.  Most mid-large size trailers are best towed with a diesel powered vehicle.

I'm not sure what you are seeing in the Las Vegas market, but trailers are much less expensive than motorhomes everywhere I go.

Carbon Monoxide leaks are no more likely or dangerous in a motorhome than a trailer. CO can be generated from any open flame and the propane burners used in RV appliances are the same in a trailer or motorhome. Both types of vehicle are required to have CO detectors now anyway. Motorhomes are more likely to be equipped with a generator, another possible source of CO,  but that is an issue only when you use it and the risk is about the same whether you have a generator with a trailer or a motorhome.

With a motorhome, you will be able to tow your economical car behind it to use while the motorhome is parked.  A trailer will require a full-sized, heavy duty van or pickup truck to pull it, and you'll have to use that large vehicle for your everyday driving while the trailer is parked.  By the time you buy a truck to pull the trailer the combination cost will likely approach what you'd pay for an equivalent motorhome.

On the one hand, you'll save money by using your fuel-efficient car for local running around while the motorhome is parked compared to doing the same with the bigger truck or van.   On the other hand, a trailer costs less to maintain than a motorhome because mechanically, it's much simpler.   A motorhome requires all of the maintenance you'd give any other motor vehicle - a regular schedule of oil changes, tune-ups, mechanical repairs, tires, brakes, etc.   The mechanical maintenance of a trailer consists of replacing tires and brakes, both of which are significantly less expensive than their motorhome counterparts.

From a cost standpoint, whether it's more economical to use your existing economy car with a motorhome, or get a trailer and use the truck or van for local driving depends on how long you expect to park the house (trailer or motorhome), and how much solo driving you'll do while the house is parked.

There is a specific article in the library on this subject:  click HERE.

I might add that in transit with a trailer, for lunch or pit stops, I simply pull into a rest stop or large a parking area, get out, go into the trailer and have lunch or whatever.  At the worst, I am exposed to the elements for the 15 second it takes to walk to the trailer door.  At in transit overnight stops pull into a campground, ask for a pull thru site,  pull into the site, connect the shore power cord, and am set for the night.  I do not unhitch or set up water or sewer -- that way I pull out in the morning with minimal fuss.

I suspect trailers, both travel and 5th wheel are actually harder to steal than a motorhome.  To steal a motorhome one has to break in thru the door, hotwire the ignition and drive away --- done all the time with cars actually.  Steal a trailer on hand you have to do  bit of preparation and some work.  First of all you have to have a tow vehicle capable of towing a 2- 5 ton trailer -- these things are not light utility or boat trailers after all.  Then you have to have the right hitch and receiver installed.  Because trailers use electric brakes you will also have to have a 7 or 8 pin connector plug and a trailer break actuator also installed on your truck.  Now that you have all that garbage ready to go, you need to back onto the trailer's hitch with much yelling and arm waving.  Then if are lucky your gear mates properly with the trailer's gear.  For instance, if the trailer has a Hensley Arrow system and you have just a normal ball and mount system, you are SOL completely.

Frankly if you are a vehicle stealing punk, it is one helluva lot easier to simply to walk over the parking lot and boost a Mustang or a Beamer in 60 seconds flat. ;D

Carl

Don't forget, to steal a motor home, you probably have to bring in the slides and raise the jacks. Those can take a couple of minutes each or more, assuming you know where all the switches are and how to work them. On my coach, you can't start the engine with the slides out and the 2 switches are about 30' apart behind cabinet doors. Then you can't put the transmission in drive until the jacks are up. How many thieves would want to sit around for 5-10 minutes waiting for the vehicle to be drivable, even if they could figure out how to do it? Go for the Bimmer.

Is there a problem with motorhomes and/or trailers being stolen? It's not something I hear about, probably because RVs are too much trouble to steal, not to mention transporting and reselling.

Wendy

Don't forget, to steal a motor home, you probably have to bring in the slides and raise the jacks

Same thing with a trailer, unless you want to tow the trailer down the road with the slides out and jacks down.  All in all, either way it's more trouble than it's worth and is probably why you don't hear much about stolen RVs.

With diesel coaches that have air brakes, you also have to wait for air pressure to come up before the brakes release.

And I don't want to get into thieves being in a hurry and not disconnecting the sewer hose and flushing out the black tank before they leave.

Hi

I think the relative "stealability" of each type of RV is a nonissue.  I don't believe RV's get stolen very often (as compared to autos & trucks) and I would be surprized to find that of those that are, no one type of RV has a much higher theft rate than another.

The eternal question of which type of RV is best has no answer.  It's so personal and so riddled with tradeoffs, that most often anyone who has an opinion (and all of us do)  only got there by a lot of trial and error.  Since 1973 I have had truck campers, chassis mounts, ball trailers, fifth wheelers, and am now on my second motorhome, pretty much in that order.  Each, for me, had shortcomings that led me to the next, and each had strengths that I gave up when I changed.  For instance, we quickly outgrew the space in the truck camper (in fact, if there has been one central "theme" that has held out over the years, it's been space - more and more space!) but even today, I sometimes miss the versitlity of a good four wheel drive truck and camper.  On a "dollar per square foot" basis, trailers are hard to beat, even factoring in the cost of the tow vehicle.  I moved from a ball trailer to a fifth wheeler because, to me, the 'towability" and stability is so much better.  I moved to a motorhome from trailers for the reasons already stated by others above, of convenience and security.  I feel much more secure in a motorhome in rest stops, etc.  Doing your homework is critical. but the ultimate answer, I believe comes only with experience and an understanding spouse and banker!

Best of luck!

FamousWarrior said:

We went from a travel trailer (owned for 4 years) to a motorhome (owned for 2 years now) and here are my personal comparisons;
Advantages to travel trailer;
1. much more economical (much cheaper and very minor maintenance).
2. guaranteed to have a get around vehicle when you get to your destination (you have to because you need it to tow, use it when you get
  there or not)
3. much cheaper to setup, 7 pin & receiver (tow package on most trucks standard), brake controller and tow bars about $500 total
4. lightweight (ours was only 4600lbs empty - 1/2 ton towable but we purchased a 3/4 ton gasser anyway-glad we did for other uses)
Disadvantage to travel trailer;
1. setup/breakdown time (even more inconvenient in the rain)

Advantages to motor home;
1. easy and fast to setup/breakdown (especially in the rain)
2. easy and fast access to everything because you are already in your RV
Disadvantages;
1. Much more costly
2. Much more maintenance
3. have to take an additional vehicle to bop around or hope your MH fits where you want to go locally
4. much more involved and costly to set up towed vehicle.
5. two mechanical vehicles to maintain

Apparently I believe there are more disadvantages to a motorhome but still love it immensely. I think most of the decision is based on how much money and time you have to spend. New TT total cost with setup for tow about $17k, Used MH with setup for tow car about $85k in our case. Just my experience/opinion, not all would agree I am sure.

Dar,

Good run down on the comparison of trailer and motorhome.   I have just one quibble --- I do not set up in a rainstorm.   I rent a pull thru site.  I pull in and get more or less level via the bubble levels on my trailer.   I then get out and plug in the power.   I then get into the trailer and pour myself a drink.   We live off the tanks until it quits raining or the next morning which ever comes later.   Then I finish the unhitching and set up.

Scrubbing around in the rain is for the young and eager, not the old and cunning.  8)

Carl L said:
Scrubbing around in the rain is for the young and eager, not the old and cunning.

Carl, you failed to consider us "middle aged and impatient people" who want to be perfectly level/stable to make dinner upon arrival and get the slides out for space cannot tolerate partial setup, LOL. Regardless of rain or sun the pushing a button for leveling is enough to spoil a person compared to the unhitching and leveling a TT! Don't get me wrong though, I still loved our TT.

Dar said:
Carl, you failed to consider us "middle aged and impatient people" who want to be perfectly level/stable to make dinner upon arrival and get the slides out for space cannot tolerate partial setup, LOL. Regardless of rain or sun the pushing a button for leveling is enough to spoil a person compared to the unhitching and leveling a TT! Don't get me wrong though, I still loved our TT.

Hey, no problems.   If that is worth $150K to you, it is worth $150K to you.  We easy.   8)

We made the decision to get a fifth wheel instead of a motor home. Reason being is that we are full timers and the floor plan makes "us" feel more like we are in a little apartment than a motor home would. That's just our opinion. I do admit that sometime when I watch a motor home pull up next to us and  set up I wish maybe we had made a  different decision, but only for a second.  I agree with Carl, we get pull thru sites, hopefully level and if it would be raining, plug in the power, turn on the air and set up later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom