Why have Class A's changed to automotive brake pedals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garfield

I drive a '95 CC Intrigue now and love the flat, padle brake pedal.  But it seems the newer coaches are equipped with "car style" pedals.  I suppose I'd get used to it if I found a coach the family really likes, but I'd sure love to understand the rationale for the manufacturers making the change.  Is it really only so the brake pedal "feels" like a car pedal most drivers are used to?

BTW, we've been RVing for 10 years and I just stumbled on this forum.  Want to say "Thanks" to all of you who've posted so much great info here!

Hi Garfield and welcome to RV Forum. Glad you found us.

I suspect it the change is what you say - to reduce the intimidation factor for first time buyers. A lot of people buy Class C's simply because the cab area is car-like and seems like it will be "easier to drive", when in fact the Class A is actually easier once you get used to it.

There is no particular advantage to a very large pedal with todays efficient power assist hydraulic brakes or air brake systems. Some of the pedals seem to have gotten downright small, though, and hard to find with your foot in some circumstances.

Our current coach has the "automotive" type brake pedal and I believe the rationale is to make the pedal adjustable. Ours has a travel of about 4-5" to accommodate drivers preference.  I have used both and found it was a short transition from one to the other.

:D  Ahh, now this makes sense.  I had forgotten about adjustable pedals and this is a perfect rationale.  Thanks Gypsy!

Back
Top Bottom