Jake Brake on Dutchstar not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Bus

I have just purchased a 2000 Newmar Dutchstar diseil. It has a pedal on the floor for the exhaust brake but it doesn't seem to work any suggestions?

The Bus said:
I have just purchased a 2000 Newmar Dutchstar diseil. It has a pedal on the floor for the exhaust brake but it doesn't seem to work any suggestions?

Not sure how you expect the brake to work ??? If you are driving down the road at about 40+ mph and you step on the pedal and lift your right foot, the transmission should try to downshift to 2nd gear (it'll go down 1 gear at a time) and the engine should produce back pressure to help slow down. If the transmission downshifts but no back pressure develops, you probably have a stuck actuator on the exhaust brake mechanism. If nothing happens, you probably have a bad connection between the pedal and the actuator. Once you get it working, make sure that you use the brake frequently during the first 20 minutes or so after startup to boil off moisture from the brake and to lubricate the moving parts every month or so.

If the actuator is stuck, lubricate the moving parts liberally and try and work the lubricant into the parts. PacBrake has a lubricant that works very well. There are other lubricants out there that work about as well, but I can't remember which off hand.

Following on from Bernie's comments, here's a file in our library on lubricating the Pac Brake (aka exhaust brake):

http://www.rvforum.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=200&Itemid=41

I have a 2000 Dutch Star and had the same problem as you are having.  It was a defective foot pedal.  On my engine brake, therei is no lubrication needed and none called for.

We had our Jake Brake fail on our current Monaco.  Like Jim's it was a failed foot pedal.  The Jake's pedal has within it a microswitch and it was the microswitch that failed.  We know this because Jerry and Ron Ruward took it apart after we replaced the pedal.  Until then we didn't realize that those pedals are more than "just a pedal" - they're actually part of the braking system.  And, yes, the entire pedal had to be replaced.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom