New Travel Trailer (Jayco) Extended Warranty suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ihealthi

Jes wunderin'..... we will have a two year warranty with our new Jay Flight, and we were offered an extended warranty for $1000 with the $100 deductable per visit (vs. per item).  It is through First Extended Service Warranty.

I have read that many rv'er's who own Class A/B/C's choose to get warranty's, but what about the TT?  We don't have an engine, but I know that the elec awning, fridge, heater, a/c, etc etc can go out on us.  We will have the Jayco which apparently is realible and has the two year warranty, but should we consider this extended warranty, and if so, does anyone have any suggestions on other warranty's out there for less?

I got an extended warranty for my TT.  Did not claim a dime's worth under it.  In my 13 years of owing the unit, I have replaced only tires and batteries and the valve assembly for the water heater.  No one covers tires and batteries.  The heater valve cost about $100 iirc and I installed it myself.  Everything else has been nickels and dimes.

Frankly, the warranty was a waste of $900.  The worst repair job you could encounter would be the total replacement of a fridge.  Mine still works just fine with only biennial PM.  IMHO you are better self insuring with a trailer.

Or just pay as you go  -- which is what I should have done.  Regular preventative maintenance took care of the rest in my case -- for 13 years.

A trailer is really just simple box stuffed with appliances -- not much there to go wrong.

keep your money and place it in a savings account for when you do need it. Besides the trailer warranty you also have the  warranty that comes with the appliances. I had my micro wave go out in our TT and the manufacture replaced it no charge...Extended warranties are worth less. The product that you bought is from a reputable manufacture so are the appliances, they all stand behind their products. Do yourself a favor, keep the original warranty that came with the original purchase and put the money you would use to buy the extended warranty and put it away for when you do need it.

FWIW, a friend of ours has a 2007 Jayco TT and has had good warranty service. He had some minor repairs done in the first few months (mostly rattle and squeak type of things) and at about 27 months he noticed some water damage in the bathroom. The culprit was the skylight which was re-sealed by the dealer. The dealer also replaced the damaged paneling (nothing behind the paneling was damaged luckily). Total cost was about $400 - the dealer required that he pay for the repairs but did submit it to Jayco for consideration since it was "just over" the 2 year warranty. Jayco willingly covered it.

bought our Jayco 2007 used about a year ago.  only problems we have had so far are:

Outside shower unit leaked (probably frost damage, fixed with a new brass unit for $28, took 10 minutes to install)
12v Power converter quit working,  If I had taken it in may have cost $150 to diagnose and retighten the screw. Found the issue and tghtend the screw.  Free.

$1000.00 would have been a waste.  the frost damage would not have been covered anyhow.

most companies make LOTS of money on those policys. both the insurance company, and the seller that guts a HUGE commission.

as stated even a new refer would be well less than a thousand, AND most issues would surface durring the first 3-6 months anyhow

On the tourist boat in the canals of Fort Lauderdale, last year.  Guide is pointing out expensive real estate.  "This is the extended warranty guy's house - $35 million."  Must be some change left after he pays out claims.

Back
Top Bottom