tv won't come on when traveling 2008 tioga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a safety feature built in so that the driver will not be distracted while traveling down the road. Your rear TV (if you have one) should work but then the passengers wouldn't be buckled up.

Woody

What Woody said, but it's also a legal requirement.

jawboneklx said:
anybody know how to fix it?

Doesn't need to be fixed. It's correct the way it is, not coming on while the engine is running. Driving with a TV on where the driver can see it is illegal in many/most states.

Wendy

Bypassing the wiring to allow it to work WILL result in being pulled over by the first police car that passes you.

Remember, they are looking for revenue and they know the laws. My dad had his bypassed for 3 whole days before he learned the hard way.

If the tv is not in the view of the driver, it is legal to have it on. Usually the outlet that the tv is plugged into is the controller - the power goes off when the ignition is on. Plug to a different outlet or disconnect the 12v wire that goes to the ignition from behind the outlet.

I unplugged the interrupter form my class a.  We run the TV all the time going down the road for the kids. I have however replaced the 19" tube TV for a 19" LCD TV.  I cannot view from drivers seat nor passenger seat due to viewing angle.  If I ever do get pulled over I will offer to the officer to sit and see for himself.  All you see is black screen.  The kids love the picture though.  ;D

While it is true that all you need to do to enable the TV when driving is plug it in a different outlet.

MPHY, Don't count on that officer taking you up on your offer.. (He might, or he might not)

Though I have never, personally, seen a ticket for TV WHERE DRIVER CAN SEE IT.. I did, once or twice, provide the chapter and verse (Section and sub-section of law) to the Law Enforcement Officer writing said ticket, so I know they have been written (That used to be my job don't you know, yup, i get paid cause I told cops where to go)

On mine there is a wire going to the TV that cuts the power when the ignition is turned on. I cut the wire and my TV works just fine when driving.

It's called a distracted driver citation. Drive with a cell phone in your hand and in view, you risk the same ticket whether you are texting or not. If you are lucky, you will only be inconvenienced by being pulled over and having to argue your point. Since the law dictates the TV must be off if in the forward compartment, you risk being pulled over whether or not you can see the screen.

Your call how you configure the RV and use the TV, but you need to know the risk. I would suggest you maintain a pleasant disposition with the officer.

Back
Top Bottom