EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Cabover rebuild project  (Read 28649 times)

jeverden

• ---
  • 1999 FourWinds Windsport 30Q
Re: Cabover rebuild project
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2009, 09:20:07 AM »
Awful nice of you, but I am just north of you in Kelowna, B.C. (7 Hours on a good day)

If I get outside before spring, I will take some pics - Not a major concern, just on my list.

Thanks for the response, talk to you later! ;D

Jason

blueseagull

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
Hi Sportsdad,  I am new to the rv forum and I found your post on the rebuild right away.  I am hopefully near the end of a similiar rebuild on my 1993 Tioga.  I chose to use Kitty Haur fiberglass resin in place of the corner molding/screws/butyl rubber.  I will keep you posted as I get back into it this spring.  One challenge I have is I used one sheet of high impact poly styrene on the horizontal sheet over the windshield.  I did this because I did not want to spend $200 for a 4x8 sheet of fiberglass from Fleetwood.  I found that the Kitty Hair fiberglass resin is not bonding easily to that portion where it has to stick to the poly styrene.  I will try roughening the surface next.  I did use mnariane grade 3/4 plywood on the horizontal portion of the rebuild.  ANd I used pressure treated wood around the large window.

Sportsdad

• ---
    • Lifetime Memories Productions
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 12:20:10 PM »
Hi Sportsdad,  I am new to the rv forum and I found your post on the rebuild right away.  I am hopefully near the end of a similiar rebuild on my 1993 Tioga.  I chose to use Kitty Haur fiberglass resin in place of the corner molding/screws/butyl rubber.  I will keep you posted as I get back into it this spring.  One challenge I have is I used one sheet of high impact poly styrene on the horizontal sheet over the windshield.  I did this because I did not want to spend $200 for a 4x8 sheet of fiberglass from Fleetwood.  I found that the Kitty Hair fiberglass resin is not bonding easily to that portion where it has to stick to the poly styrene.  I will try roughening the surface next.  I did use mnariane grade 3/4 plywood on the horizontal portion of the rebuild.  ANd I used pressure treated wood around the large window.

hello and welcome!

What a coincidence, I've not been back to this thread until today.  As you know I was using a temporary eternabond solution around the trim as you can see in this picture

It is holding up very good. It likes to peel up in small areas after long trips, but just a quick re-pressure and it re-sticks.

This past week-end I started removing it and am in the process of replacing it with fiberglass kitty hair-type bondo. I did a test area yesterday and it's looking good, so I'm spending the next few week-ends doing all the edges this way. Will post a full report and pictures when completed.

Sportsdad

• ---
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 09:14:10 AM »
I've made some progress over the week-end .Here is where I'm at on my exterior trim. It is not going to be flush, but rather a cap.The reason is the joggle siding, its a bear to get it flush. I'll shoot a 2.5 inch strip with awlgrip trim paint when finished.

1st pic: Removing the eternabond tape (this is what I started with), which held up well through the winter "ski-camp" months as well football tailgaters earlier in the fall.

2nd pic:Next was to sand a 45 deg angle and rough up some edges.

3rd pic: Fiberglass stick tape and trim tape.

5th pic: Fiberglass bondo, by this time I'm going "oh crap, I don't do this for a living and I'm frightened".

4th pic: Electric sanding with 60 grit and guaging radius.

I'll go over it with finer sand paper then paint it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:21:38 AM by Sportsdad »

Sportsdad

• ---
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
Finished one side. Came out okay! 2 coats primer, 2 coats finish paint with 2 clear coats on the trim:

blueseagull

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »
Hi Sportsdad,

Sorry for the late reply.  I finally finished my fiberglass project in mid August.  Here are a few pictures towards the end.  My basic method was to start with long glass fiber filled bondo, then on the corners I added a layer of cloth; then another layer of glass filled bondo. then a final coat of regular bondo.  Prime, then paint.  And a lot of sanding in between!

chrishibbard7

• ---
  • 04 4winds chateau sport
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 02:46:04 PM »
are any of these images still alive somewhere?  (all links above are dead).

DavidsShasta

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
Where can I find the photos of you rebuild project? My cab is in dire need of rebuild.

memoryroads

• ---
    • Memory Roads
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2013, 07:35:16 AM »
Hello all,  I'm ron of "Memoryroads" that got Sportsdad going on his project back in late 2008.  I haven't heard from him in some time however,  since he mentioned my blog's entries concerning Cab Over Rebuilding and Roof Rebuilding on my Class C, I'll remind anyone interested that my blog still exists....with photos.

Years have passed and I have added many travel photos and a few more projects, so if you go to (link in signature line).

.....you will be entering the Home Page showing what I'm doing now, but....  On the Right Side of the page is an index.  Go down to 'Projects' and begin with Project #1, and then Project #2 and so on, or trust your instincts and  luck! ;)

I hope sportsdad comes back and updates his photo journey but hopefully, my documentation will help anyone in dire straits.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:51:42 AM by Tom »
We're usually on one or the other...
www.memoryroads.blogspot.com  (RV)
www.memoryrose.blogspot.com  (boat)

TobyB

• ---
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2013, 08:36:01 AM »
Ron,
Thanks for updating what you can.  I am in the process of rebuilding my cabover now and have a question about your fiberglass trim pieces.  How well are the holding up?  I have a concern on my MH about those trim pieces and the fact that they are not long enough on the "leg" side and was going to do something similar to what Sportsdad did.  Do you think they would hold up well to the movement of a MH or do you think they would crack?
Thanks
Toby
Work through lunch?  Are you kidding, I don't even work through work!

memoryroads

• ---
    • Memory Roads
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »
Toby and others...I have a question first that I'm sure the moderator will jump into here... How do I get email responses to posts, mine or others IF i want them?

I have been kind of off this list for some time yet I do understand the questions asked here and the info given...particularly relating to what I have been a part of... needs to be kept up to date.  So that "I" can do that, if someone has a question, please inform me how to stay connected to be able to respond to posts I have been a part of.
thanks.
---------------------------------------------------------
Trim Pieces?  I used Epoxy Resin (West System Products) quite flexible and fiberglass 'cloth'...which is highly flexible.   What is needed here in these moldings............is NOT strength..............but waterproofing!  I built a firm, solid molding out of this material but not an inch thick!!! (joke!)   I built it to be firm yet flexible and able to withstand anything the application could throw at it!  Sealant used behind it added to the flexible joint qualities.

I sleep well!

IF, I remember what SportDad did, was cool too, but the difference between where HE went, and where I went was significant.  He needed to get the project DONE, to go skiing with his children...if i remember correctly.  He did that and did well!

...........Please understand that only because you have asked, have i spoken on this. 

The fiberglasing directly from one surface to another at 90 deg. angles creates a stress point that could crack.........................And...........has it's own factor of difficulty in the process of layup!  I chose.. "chose" to make a mold.  Note here that this was a VERY time consuming process!!!  Sports Dad had a schedule!

He did fine!!  I did fine!!

choose your method or come up with something different or in between...  Both of us just threw out info out there to help anyone behind us in the process.

Anything built can be rebuilt............take your time and if you can, make it a fun project.
We're usually on one or the other...
www.memoryroads.blogspot.com  (RV)
www.memoryrose.blogspot.com  (boat)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2013, 01:34:38 AM »
How do I get email responses to posts, mine or others IF i want them?

Click the Notify button above the top message on the page.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Hosted by Over The Network