Diese Pusher will not start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbhmeh

We parked our 2004 Kountry Star at home and all was good. Next day changed oil and now engine will not start. It did start initially aftr oil change and ran about 1 minute and shut down. Has battery power and turns over but will not start.  Any suggestions?

Yes:  You have lost your prime in the fuel system.  Not sure how many filters you have on your engine, but remove them and make sure they are full of fuel.  Then try to re-start.  If if does not stay running, you have an air leak in a fuel line somewhere.  I doubt you have a faulty fuel pump.

Sounds like what Ron says. Did you also change the fuel filter(s)?

Cummins engine on a Spartan chassis? You should be able to re-prime by turning the key on without starting the engine. Leave it on 30 seconds, then turn off. Repeat 5-6 times and then try to start. If it still won't start, do it another 4-5 times. Eventually the electric lift pump will fill the filers and the fuel line and it will start and run.

My guess is that you changed the oil filter but you didn't pre-fill the new oil filter with oil, right?  My International truck used to do that, it would start and then it would shut off because it thought the oil pressure was too low.  It takes awhile for the oil pump to fill an empty oil filter and in the meantime, the oil pressure doesn't build up until the filter is full.  It'll eventually start and keep running, it usually took me about 3 or 4 attempts before the oil pressure got high enough to keep running.  Nowadays, I always pre-fill a diesel oil filter with oil before installing it (I think a lot of shop mechanics do this too, although the diesel manufacturers don't recommend it because of various safety reasons).

If all you did was change the oil, and didn't change any fuel filters, then I think Rolf is on the right track. My CAT engine's fuel injectors use oil pressure to fire them. No oil pressure--no fuel to cylinders.

I couldn't find any oil pressure on the Silverleaf for the 3126B and asked them about it. They said that there wasn't any oil pressure output from the ECM. I asked a CAT rep at a FMCA rally why there wasn't a oil pressure reading out of the ECM. He said that they weren't concerned about oil pressure because the engine would shut down if the oil pressure went away.

Guess we need to find out if it is a Cat or a Cummins. On an electronic model Cummins, the ECM gets oil pressure data and it shuts the engine down if it sees inadequate inadequate oil pressure. A Check Engine light would come on in that case if the engine was running, and presumably would if it were cranking too.

Sorry for the late response.  I really appreciate all the tips.  Tried the reprime trick but still hasn't started.  We changed the oil and the filter and actually did fill the new  filter. 
This is a cummins engine on a freightliner chassis.

We changed the oil and the filter and actually did fill the new  filter.

Wow, not the answer I expected.  Next question, did you put enough oil in and did you put it in the right hole?  ;)

A 3126B Cat uses oil pressure to activate the fuel injection system. If you did not change the fuel filters which would cause the loss of fuel prime that Gary mentioned you may have something wrong with your oil flow causing the injectors to shut down as Cat told you. I assume you have verified the proper amount of oil was added and the filter is the correct one and installed properly?

I'm not sure the Cat engine has the electric lift pump to prime the fuel filters like the late model Cummins does. But if you didn't change the fuel filters, it's moot point.

The oil filter & oil flow concern, though, is something to check on a Cat. You might want to remove that new filter and make sure it filled up. Maybe the gasket shifted and blocked oik flow or some such. Stranger things have happened...

Our 3126B has a manual pump attached to the secondary fuel filter to prime it but I think that is an option chosen by the coach manufacturer

Giving it a few pumps couldn't hurt if you have one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom