Winter months storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpydawg

Hi!  Well.....we took possession of our new TT yesterday.  It was a white knuckle drive home, just because we're newbies and the hitch and braking system needed adjusting.  Stopped half way home in a huge parking lot to change the links on the equalizer thingey ma bob.  That sure helped.  Before we did that there was some bucking/forward backward motions that were making me seasick.  Adjusted the brake knob and that relieved the whiplash too.  lol    Anyhoo......the TT is now sitting in our driveway.  I'm wondering if there is some type of network that puts people into contact with eachother regard indoor winter storage.  I know that there has to be many private RV storage buildings that sit empty while the owners go south for the winter months.  Seems like it would be mutually beneficial for people who don't go south yet......to pay to use that empty space for the 3 winter months.  I just don't know how to find someone who might like that idea.  Is this a stupid thought?  I do realize that circumstances might cause the site owners to come home early.....and need their space but if vacating it promptly wasn't an issue......  We could always just move it back to our driveway if need be.  The fees for indoor storage here are just so high.....we're just looking for alternatives. 

Hi!  Well.....we took possession of our new TT yesterday.  It was a white knuckle drive home, just because we're newbies and the hitch and braking system needed adjusting.  Stopped half way home in a huge parking lot to change the links on the equalizer thingey ma bob.  That sure helped.  Before we did that there was some bucking/forward backward motions that were making me seasick.  Adjusted the brake knob and that relieved the whiplash too.  lol   

Were you traveling on a concrete highway at the time of the bucking motion?  I ask because concrete freeway pavement, especially old, worn concrete pavement,  can set up a rythmic bucking of a trailer.  There is not much help for that except slowing down or avoiding the bad sections of the highway.

In any case, hitch systems require a specific technique for adjusting their weight equalization.  If your installation instructions are not available, we can take you over the routine.

The same applies to adjusting brake controllers.  Since those are peculiar to each brake controller model, it is incumbent on you to read the manual and follow the instructions.  On my rig, with each hitch-up or at the start of each day's driving, I must adjust the sensitivity of the controller and then the gain, the force at which the trailer brakes engage.  If the sensitivity is too high, the brakes slam on.  If the gain is too high the trailer brakes come on with to much force.  Both conditions can cause the trailer to skid -- not a good thing.  On the other hand, too little and the trailer brakes do not help your main brakes and your stopping distances increase radically.  It behoves you to read the manual and follow the instructions to the letter.

Carl Lundquist said:
hitch systems require a specific technique for adjusting their weight equalization.

To read the equalization technique explained by the RV Forum trailer expert:

Click the Library button above, select RV-related how-to's and click Correct adjustment of a weight distributing hitch.

Thank you very much Carl and Tom.  I've printed your info and that from the library.  I'll show it to my husband.  I'm also on the way out to go through the pile of pamphlets in the tt.  The hitch paperwork must be there somewhere. 

Congratulations on your new RV and may you enjoy many happy miles!!!  :)

I know that there has to be many private RV storage buildings that sit empty while the owners go south for the winter months.

I wouldn't be too sure of that - those who normally travel south for the winter have little need for an RV storage building and probably don't have one.  And while a building is nice, it doesn't relieve you of winterizing chores unless it is a heated building. 

Back
Top Bottom