1990's Itasca/Winnebago Weak Floor Frame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summerwinds48

The flooring frame design in the mid 1990's leaves the floor sagging in the middle, on my 1994 Itasca Suncruiser.  The 1990's design did not include a center steel frame piece to hold up the flooring boards, where the edges meet in the middle of the coach.  Result, serious sagging and weakness. 

Thought of several solutions, including welding a steel member under the center.  This will not work because the heater ducting was installed to act as a frame support, but doesn't work.  It's made of thin aluminum, screwed into the bottom deck. 

Another solution, insert a thin, rigid steel plate above the deck flooring and under the carpet.  Then, using long bolts, secure the steel plate to the flooring panels to pull up and hold them into place.

Anyone tried this remedy?  Sure would like to hear of other solutions as this was a major problem with many mid-1990's Winnebagos.

Deen, Summerwinds48

Don't know about the mid-90's but my 2004 Itasca bathroom floor really pops, snaps, and cracks when walking on it so undoubtedly Winnebago hasn't fixed the problem yet.  When I had the coach in Forest City all they did was tighten the walls of the shower stall and say that was what was making the noise.  Anything to snow the customer and get out of really fixing the problem.

Allen

My 2006 Voyage pops in the rear bedroom floor. I am glad I don't have ceramic tile as I think it would be up by now. Art

When I bought my 1988 Elandan, I noticed that the floor in the kitchen area was soft. Not knowing anything about MH's, I traced the area to match it under the coach. I cut couple of water treated 2x4's to exact length and thickness to hammer by pressure between the main beams. It helped some how but not to my liking. Then when I removed the carpet by the steps, I realized that the floor is made of a styrofoam sandwished between two 1/8" plywoods. That's when I found out that all I did, was to compress the styrofoam more between the planks. Later I removed the carpet and installed a one-piece 1/4" cut to specs subfloor plank that is made of water resistant cedar, and scew it to the floor. This last addition made the floor very strong and does not sag anymore. Then I layed linonium tile on top of it. Problem solved.

WagonMaster2, I had the same issue with my '04 Meridian 36G. On a flat, level surface, on problem, but if I had to use the jacks to level the coach, we would hear an "oil-canning" noise as we walked through the bath area to the bedroom. Winnebago looked at it twice, saying there was nothing wrong. Took it to 3T's in Lake Havasu City and they welded up a frame of 1" square tube and welded that framework to the underside of the floor just above the rear wheels. That eliminated the oil-canning.

Back
Top Bottom