Traveling to Twin Lakes, CO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goingcamping

to all...

Our 5th anniversary is coming up on the 25th and due to work obligations I have to be in town on the 26th...

So, in light of that we are heading out to the Twin Lakes area North of Buena Vista, CO to the NFS White Star Campgrounds (we have a generator and plan on filling our water once there) My question is has anyone reading this ever stayed at this particular camping area? It is first come first serve and just wanted some "heads-up" if there is anything we should know. We are very well versed in boondocking camping as 90% of what we do and have done is of that type?

Thanks in advance for any advice or info!

Safe Camping,

Brett

We haven't stayed at Twin Lakes but have stayed at Clear Creek Reservoir, a little bit south of there (just south of Granite). It's primitive camping, operated by Colorado Division of Wildlife. You do have to buy a Habitat Stamp which I think is $10. Last year the mosquitos ate us alive but that was in July and with the weather right now, you probably wouldn't have that problem. It's right next to the Colorado Trail for great hiking. There's mountain biking out several dirt roads, old mining towns, and great scenery. And you're a quick drive from Buena Vista if you need something in the big city.

Enjoy
Wendy

Wendy, Thanks for the input...

Here's what we experienced at WhiteStar campgrounds (Sage loop)!

Arrived on Friday (9/18) around 2:30pm. drove through all 3 loops it appears as if only the Sage loop accomadates RV's with marked spots and such. I assumed (Yeah, I know what they say?!?) that water was available after I cruised the NSFS web site, but after driving through the Sage loop, all the spigots are either filed to not allow hook-up for filling tanks...Side Note: there is a sign indicating that filling of tanks is prohibited :( ! As we decided we needed to drive to Leadville and get water we stopped by the host's campsite and she promptly informed me that water was in fact available right behind their campsite. I was all happy again  :) We, err, I cut our only water hose to try and fit it over the camp area spigots (to no avail) so, I needed to borrow one from the host, again, they we more than accomadating and gracious about allowing me to borrow theirs.

Filled, camp set-up, kids and wife happy we had a great time, as the views from the campsite are spectacular and well worth the hassle of the filling the water tank. $15/night for a non-electric, non-water campsite (no complaints, as they are not available). The campground had multiple commode facilities and disposing of garbage was only a short walk to the large, bear proof dumpsters...

All in all, a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom