2008 Toyota Tundra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

03tundra

I haven't been around for awhile.... glad to see that we are still going strong!  :)  I have a 2008 toyota tundra now and am looking for a little advice... If you are not familiar with toyota, they now have the "s" drive which allows the driver to shift an automatic transmission - just like if you have a standard tranny.  What gear (if I use "s" drive, or even tow mode) should I tow in?  What about in "d"?  Also, has anyone found a good site to get decently priced tow mirrors for a 2008 tundra?  Thanks for the help - in advance - as I have always found useful / helpful advice from this forum!!  Get out and explore!

03tundra said:
I haven't been around for awhile.... glad to see that we are still going strong!   :)  I have a 2008 toyota tundra now and am looking for a little advice... If you are not familiar with toyota, they now have the "s" drive which allows the driver to shift an automatic transmission - just like if you have a standard tranny.  What gear (if I use "s" drive, or even tow mode) should I tow in?  What about in "d"?  Also, has anyone found a good site to get decently priced tow mirrors for a 2008 tundra?  Thanks for the help - in advance - as I have always found useful / helpful advice from this forum!!  Get out and explore!

My daily driver is an 07 and I tow a lot with it. I tow in "D" with the tow haul mode engaged I only go into "S" for down hills and if the trans is searching which I have never had happen so I guess I would if I ever needed to. I have towed max CGVW from southern cal to Donner thru Sacramento then  back to socal thru Bishop several times. There are some major climbs on that trip and the truck handles it like a champ. I regularly out run a 2005 ford f350 on the big grades towing a similar load. Granted his milage is much better then mine for the trip.

So you know the tow haul mode is not active in "S" mode which is why I use it in "D".

as far as mirrors go mine extend a lot and are huge, too big almost I don't see why a bigger mirror is neede unless you have the smaller ones i guess. try "tundra solutions" site they should have a vendor section that will have someone who sells mirrors.

Wayne

Thanks!  I have only used the "s" mode sparingly so I didn't notice that the tow mode is not available... For my first trip I will use tow/haul mode and see how it works.... I am also going to keep the smaller mirrors (at least temporarily) until I do some local towing to see how they work.... If you have any other tips that you find useful on your Tundra - let me know!  There are a few of us who use toyota to haul / tow - this is my 3rd toyota (2nd truck) and I couldn't be happier....

I bought tow mirrors for my '07 from www.TRDSparks.com.  They were cheaper than the local dealer and not difficult to swap out.  I agree with Wayne.  Use the D with tow/haul.  I tow my 32' trailer from Phoenix to Flagstaff and never gave a thought to shifting through the gears...and if you know what the climb to Flagstaff is like you would be impressed.

AZApplebee said:
I bought tow mirrors for my '07 from www.TRDSparks.com.  They were cheaper than the local dealer and not difficult to swap out.  I agree with Wayne.  Use the D with tow/haul.  I tow my 32' trailer from Phoenix to Flagstaff and never gave a thought to shifting through the gears...and if you know what the climb to Flagstaff is like you would be impressed.

Ive done that climb too and both ways on the 40 towing my race trailer. I was impressed from all 3 directions. good tip on the mirrors.

wayne

Back
Top Bottom