would two transmission coolers work together ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will 09

i just got a new  transmision cooler with a fan and was going to take out the other one that doesn't have a fan and replace it with this new one  then i wondered if i left the original one in and added this one as well would that be even better with two or not ? any thoughts ?

My common sense tells me cooler is better.

Too bad I'm not a mechanic by trade to properly answer that question. I'm sure someone will!

I have two, well kind of.  There's a section of the engine radiator that is sectioned off for the transmission.  I added my auxiliary transmission cooler in line with that.

this new transmission cooler i just got seems smaller than the one that  was on but has a 9" fan on it , the guy at jegs the online company i got it from says its a high performance cooler its 11" x 13" x 3/4" and is for a vehicle 30,000 gvw my rv is 12,750 gvw.
the one that was on  was 8" x 14" x 1 1/2" dont know what they go on for best performance of them , square inch surface area or cubic inch area or what ??

just reading another post that the transmission has a cooler inside the main radiator? so the small one is an auxilary one, the pipes from the tranny go into the main radiator then out and into the smaller one before going back to the tranny i didn't realize that, is that correct ?

will 09 said:
just reading another post that the transmission has a cooler inside the main radiator? so the small one is an auxilary one, the pipes from the tranny go into the main radiator then out and into the smaller one before going back to the tranny i didn't realize that, is that correct ?

That is correct on my Nissan Xterra.  It is also true of many passenger vehicles.  But I have no idea in the case of a bus.  Your cooling requirements are higher than mine with no load, so I would not be surprised if the transmission has a dedicated cooler from the factory.

If you have access, you should check where the cooling lines from the transmission go.

Your original question though remains unanswered and it is: Is it possible to have too much cooling?  

I know my auxiliary transmission cooler has a bypass for when it's cold to let the tranny fluid warm up to operating temperature before going through the cooler.  I don't know what the cutoff for the bypass is though.  I know when the transmission fluid is cold, the transmission does not shift well until it warms up, so I know that too cold is not good, however I don't know if two coolers in series will make the fluid too cold.

If you have a transmission temperature gauge, then the easiest would be to install the 2nd cooler in-line with the 1st, then monitor the temperature, if you see it runs too cold, then bypass/remove the original cooler.

RV Roamer said:
I doubt if you can overcool the transmission with auxiliary coolers. Go ahead and use both if there is room.

I would only be concerned if used in the winter. There's a limit to how cool tranny fluid should be.

-Don- Hinton, AB​

Since your new fan cooled rad is smaller, I'd leave the the original in place. If that fan should cut out for whatever reason, you'll more than likely be cookin.  :eek:

What made you decide to get a new tranny rad anyway? Were your temps too high?

will 09 said:
i just got a new transmission cooler with a fan and was going to take out the other one that doesn't have a fan and replace it with this new one then i wondered if i left the original one in and added this one as well would that be even better with two or not ? any thoughts ?

What transmission do you have? I had some trouble with my Ford E4OD transmission not wanting to go into lockup. I talked to several Ford and Independent mechanics trying to resolve my problem. If I remember correctly I was told there is a temperature which the ECC must detect before the transmission is allowed to go into lockup. This was not my problem and I was never told what that temperature had to be before the transmission would lockup, irrespective of the motor home speed or what gear it was in.

My problem turned out to be a bad ground on the brake light circuit and an intermittant bad connection in the turn signal control switch which also contains the hazard light switch. This sometimes caused a slight voltage on the hazard lights (same circuit as the brake lights) and the transmission thought the brake lights were on, since the ground connection was bad, and unlocked the transmission like it is supposed to do when the brakes are applied.

You might want to check with a transmission expert for your particular transmission and find out whether there is a minimum temperature which the transmission must attain before it operates as designed.

dont know what transmission it is, its a chevy 454 engine and chevy p30 chasis ? the reason i got the other tranny cooler was when driving up steep grades the temp for the transmision was hitting 250 although it did not seem too hot when i pull over,

i thouht a cooler with a fan would help i have spoke to a few people about it but don't get a possitive answer regarding whats the best, i called the online tranny cooler people and explained what rv i had and they recomended the one i got but as i said it seems smaller than the one thats on it now

Well, if you were close to overheat with one, then I'd go with two, especially if the other is smaller.  It's cheap protection against expensive repairs.

I'd also change the ATF while your are at it.  Lots of people say that for every 20F above 175F, the life of the ATF is cut in half.

I don't know anything about motorhomes and their tranny's, but on my Dodge I was able to pick up a newer deeper trans pan that allows me to keep about an extra gallon of trans fluid, thus  making it harder to heat up. I did the same on both diffs.

Here's what they are:

http://www.mag-hytec.com/

Maybe that would help you as well?

Back
Top Bottom