Wireless Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I sit here connected to the internet via Verizon 2-way Satellite ......

I can do a bit better than you BigSkyMt.

I do not "Sometimes"hate Verizon

I've hated them since before they became Verizon, and not one thing they have done since has improved my opinion of them one iota.

John From Detroit said:
I do not "Sometimes"hate Verizon........
I've hated them since.......

John, since you were able to post here, it would seem your VERIZON connection is quite functional.  Could you enlighten us on your reasons for such long term hatred of Verizon?

John From Detroit said:

I can do a bit better than you BigSkyMt.

I do not "Sometimes"hate Verizon

I've hated them since before they became Verizon, and not one thing they have done since has improved my opinion of them one iota.

If you hate them so much, why do you use them? I have no complaints WRT V/W. Their stuff seems to have better range than anybody else and rarely do I need to deal with them.

However, there is one exception. PAYG USA V/W cell phones will not work in Canada, so we had to buy a cheap Canada PAYG cell phones for the month we're here, which of course, will not work in the USA. Had to use a fake Canada address to get it activated. Seems the only time we need a cell is when far from home. We find more use for the $60.00 per month 3G internet, which works well but costs more when used here in Canada.

-Don- (in Surrey, BC)​

Today we went to Best Buy thinking we would get an independant opinion before we faced Verizon. They told us almost any phone will work with tethering. First we need a data plan: $30/month, then we need a tethering plan, another $30/month. The data plan is a two year contract, the tethering can be turned off/on at will.
OR, we can get the "cheap" air card which has mysteriously increased from $30 to $40/month overnight.
OR, we can get a prepaid aircard for $1.50/day.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, we are almost ready to abandon the internet plan.
Thanks

bigskymt said:
Today we went to Best Buy thinking we would get an independant opinion before we faced Verizon. They told us almost any phone will work with tethering. First we need a data plan: $30/month, then we need a tethering plan, another $30/month. The data plan is a two year contract, the tethering can be turned off/on at will.  OR, we can get the "cheap" air card which has mysteriously increased from $30 to $40/month overnight. bOR, we can get a prepaid aircard for $1.50/day.

Why would you think that the "Geeks" at Best Buy would know more about the subject of tethering than Verizon ???

BTW - most NEW phones may be tether capable, but that hardly covers "most any phone".  With VZ you don't need a data plan, you do need a voice plan to add the tether feature.  There are several DATA plans with various  charges and contractual obligations. 

Even if you choose Sprint, or some other provider, I would deal directly with them, and not a third party reseller.

Forget the Geeks at Best Buy.

As I said in a previous post.

Go to a Verizon store. Ask them about the Mobile Broadband Connect feature. This is NOT a data plan. You will need to get a cable to tether your phone to the laptop or if your laptop and phone both have bluetooth you can connect them that way.

The Mobile Broadband Connect feature can be turned on and off when ever you need it (you have to call 611 to do that). I think it is $39 or $49 a month but they only charge you for the days you have it turned on. When you turn it on the the full amount will be charged to your bill then if you don't have it turned on for the full month the bill will be adjusted the next month.

I tried BestBuy thinking I might get an honest answer from someone with no alliances to any carrier. Verizon customer service can't seem to give a definitive answer that is recognized by a verizon store. I asked about the mobile broadband connect feature (I'm sure I forgot those precise words) and was told I need a data plan and tethering option.
Sprint has NO coverage in MT, ATT is only slightly better.
The latest from Verizon is I need a Blackberry with $30/month internet plan. This will allow me internet access and for another $30/month I can connect to my laptop.

Don has given you accurate information and Alex has pointed you to a list of phones that can be tethered.  As much as Verizon Wireless would like you to believe you need a data plan, it's not the only option.  When you call VZW customer, they will be able to activate the Mobile Broadband Connect feature on your phone, and deactivate it when you call again.  The store personnel may not even know about the feature, or if they do, they don't make any commission on it so they will try to sell you the data plan.

I just bought a Palm Pre, and though I love it, I was annoyed to discover that Sprint will not allow Sprint users to tether this phone.  Really annoying since I can access my email on the phone, as well as the web... but can't use it with my laptop!!

Just to add another option that I've found works for me is Verizon's DayPass. While you have to purchase the modem ($160 from Verizon; I'm sure cheaper if used or bought elsewhere), the plan is $15 for a 24-hour period with no contract. This can be a great option if you only have the need for occasional broadband access. Usually I can find Wifi spots, etc. But when they are not available, for $15.00 I can connect for 24 hours.

Kevin Perry
2007 Journey 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom