Fulltiming in an inexpensive RV Park year round?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PHP87

Is anyone doing this - FT'ing in an inexpensive RV Park year round or 6 months out of the year?

I've seen some RV parks in Oregon that are inexpensive for long term stays and I'm wondering what that would be like and if it's been done.

I plan to retire in a few years and my 401k lost much of its value so SS will be my main source of income so I need to keep expenses low.

I plan to sell my car, buy a PU that is stout enough to haul a 5th wheel and then use the PU to run my errands and shop while the 5th wheel stays stationary for months at a time and is lived in, FT by just myself and my Cat.

A 25' 5th wheel will be plenty of space for me and kitty.

I've heard of people staying year round at RV Parks for $300.00 per month, with a FHU, plus the cost of electricity.

How much electricity would one person use FT?

Who has the lowest yearly budget while FT'ing in a RV Park and paying by the month/year? (No boondocking)

Thanks.

Hi PHP87 and welcome to RV Forum.

Many, many people do what you describe. Snowbirds are one major category - they follow the seasons and stay wherever the weather is nice, usually 3-6 months at a time. $300 (or even less) a month is a common rate once you get away from major tourist destinations.  Electrical costs depends on local rates and your consumption, but $60-$80 per month is probably typical. Constant use  of a/c or electric heat and add quite a bit to that, though.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the welcome and for your reply.

I would probably stay put for 6 months and maybe even year round if I found a decent RV Park that I liked.

I really don't need a place with a lot of amenities.

I currently live in the SF Bay Area and would like to remain somewhat close, so Oregon looks good, is inexpensive, and has a moderate climate although they do tend to get a lot of rain during the winter months.

I imagine that heading south for the winter would be more costly as there is more demand for RV park spaces in moderate winter climates.

Right now, I'm still in the planning and research stages and figuring out budget, location, etc...and am at least a year away from hitting the road and relocating.

There is an RV park a few miles from my home and renting a space year round there is currently $700.00 a month, not including electricity and that's with the full year lease discount, so relocating north would save me several hundred dollars a month.

I'm likely going to go with a 5th wheel or TT so I can drop it and use my PU/TV to run errands and shop.

Do 5th's/TT's hold up well to FT living or are they mainly designed just for occasional use?

I realize I'll have to budget money for maintenance as things do break and wear out, just like in a regular house.

I also have a few books from Amazon dot com on the way to learn/research and am using the various internet resources, but I find that forums like these always have the best information from people who have lived the life.

Apologies for all the questions. I realize most of these questions have already been asked and answered on the forum and it's just a matter of finding the threads.

Thanks again.

I moved back to the San Francisco area during the peak of the dot-com boom, and did exactly that.  Real estate values were at sky-high levels, and this spilled over to the prices being charged for rentals.  I couldn't afford to buy at those prices, so instead of giving all my money to a landlord I rented a space in a park and lived in my RV for several years.

When you're looking at a fulltime park, everything depends on the quality of the park management.  Good management makes for a good park.  Bad or indifferent management can lead to real problems with drugs and unsavory characters who only want a cheap place to hang out.  I stayed at three different parks during the 5 years I lived in my trailer and had nothing but good experiences.  They were all older parks, none of them fancy but they all had management that actively worked to keep the park clean and well run.  On the other hand, I drove through many others that I couldn't get out of fast enough.

RVs do well as long as the temperature remains above freezing.  Compared to a house, their insulation is slim or non-existant.  If you stay in an area where you'll have snow or below freezing temperatures, you'll have to winterize the house to avoid frozen plumbing and other problems.  That's why most fulltimers travel from north to south each year - to stay in the pleasant temperatures.

If you're planning a trip to Oregon to scout possible parks, you might consider visiting the Timber Valley, Escapee (SKP) park in Sutherlin, Oregon.  The SKP organization has several different types of parks.  This one is a co-op park.  You will find some information on www.timbervalleyskp.com  The current buy-in price for a lot is $10,000.  You are guaranteed that amount back when you move elsewhere.  Our current yearly maintenance fee is $1,200.  Cable TV is provided free of charge, electricity is charged at .05 per kwh.  Propane cost varies, but is always much cheaper than the going local retail rate.  There is a huge clubhouse which houses a library, game room, a room used for dinners and other activities and a huge multi-purpose room with pool tables and a dance floor used primarily for line dancing and exercise classes.  There are 206 lots in the park.  The lots are 55' x 75'. 

After you see the place, if you are interested in someday becoming a leaseholder, it would be wise to get on the waiting list immediately.  There are currently 184 on the waiting list and the current waiting period is approximately six years.  To be placed on the waiting list you would write one check for a $1,000 refundable fee and another check for a non-refundable fee of $30.00.  You must be 50 years old to be placed on the list and be 55 or older when you receive your lot.  You can obtain more information by contacting the office at 541-459-4465.

Tom and I have had our lot for just over two years and love it!  We waited six year, two months and 9 days on the list.  If you want more information about the town or the area, just ask. 

Ooops!  The electricity rate should be $.08 per kwh. 

I have had heat strokes in the past, so am particularly sensitive to heat and run our AC much more often than most people.  During our recent record July hot spell, our electric bill was $67.68.  The next month it was also unusually warm at times and our bill was $41.12. 

Margi

Thanks.

I will be turning 50 in 6 months so it wouldn't hurt to get on the waiting list now, although I'm looking for something more budget friendly.

My plan is to retire in the next year or two, but to do so, I will have to live on a lower budget but will be able to save money which will allow me to upgrade to a better TT/5vr and/or a better RV Park.

I appreciate the posting of the cost of electricity as I was wondering what people are paying as FT'ers.

My other choice is to work for another 5 or so years and have more money put away, but the job market is really bad right now and looking for work and living in the SF Bay Area is not exactly finance friendly, so the plan is to retire early and live inexpensively for the next few years and save some money until I can cash out my 401k and then start SS when I'm 62

That's the plan for now.

Don't dispair. There's also work camping (paid positions in campgrounds, amusement parks, etc), volunteering in national and state parks for free hookup sites (usually no pay but sometimes a little per diem), seaonal jobs in the state and federal parks. Granted, it's not complete retirement but you can travel and have fun while you work.

Wendy
Cortez Colorado

Wendy said:
Don't dispair. There's also work camping (paid positions in campgrounds, amusement parks, etc), volunteering in national and state parks for free hookup sites (usually no pay but sometimes a little per diem), seaonal jobs in the state and federal parks. Granted, it's not complete retirement but you can travel and have fun while you work.

Wendy
Cortez Colorado

That's good to know as well.

Thanks for the tip.

My plan is to sell my household stuff, my cars and other assets and use that money + my savings to live on until I can cash out my 401k and then start collecting SS when I'm 62

I've heard of people living FT in a decent RV park year round on $1,000-$1,500 per month.

We are new to full timing, since January of this year. It's amazing on how little you really need to spend to live comfortably.  We retired, sold the house (broke even there), sold most everything in it, traded in the cars for the appropriate truck to pull our fifth wheel. Paid for the fifth wheel and truck with part of retirement pension. Paid all credit cards off. (Downsize & Simplify) With no bills except insurance and utilities it is amazing how little you need to live on. Of course, it depends on how lavish a life style you want. We just came back from traveling for 3 months and  plan to park for 6 months before we set out on a 6 month road trip.  Our home base is in Florida and the longer you stay at a park, the less your monthly rent is. We found a inexpensive park and stayed there for 5 months before we hit the road and love it there. You really need to check out all parks in the area you want to be based at and decide on what the most important amenities are for you. If you decide you need extra cash, there is always work camping or part time jobs available.  We are not sorry we chose this lifestyle at all. We're loving life!

A subscription to Workamper News would give you an excellent overview of the various types of workamping opportunities out there.

http://www.workamper.com/

Margi

The quality of life for a full timer does not depend as much on his income as his outgo. The more monthly bills you have the harder it is to get by. I have one bill, my $29 a  month union dues and I do extremely well full timing. I don't make much per month, but what I get is mine to spend as I see fit. I rarely stay in any one place for more that a week or two. The reason I am full timing is to see the country. I haven't worked since I started 7 years ago.

To answer your question...yes, many people are living long term at inexpensive RV parks, including us!

Our monthly rent is $425 (we pay an extra $50 for 50amp service and since we have a washer/dryer).  This includes electric, water, and basic cable.  We are north of Houston.

We sold the house and everything in it.  Bought the RV and here we are over a year later, loving it.

Best wishes,
Greg

Tom and Margi said:
After you see the place, if you are interested in someday becoming a leaseholder, it would be wise to get on the waiting list immediately.  There are currently 184 on the waiting list and the current waiting period is approximately six years.
One thing you didn't mention is that you have to be a member of the Escapees RV Club to put your name on the list and to get a lot.  You also have to remain a member of the Escapees in order to stay there.  That's one of the reasons we became Lifetime members of the Escapees.  We have our name on the Hot List for Sutherlin and are getting close to getting our lot.  I'm surprised to hear that there are only 180 people on the Hot List...when we signed up, we were #234!

There's a park in Needles, CA, that rented around $300 w/electric last year. Decent choice of groceries stores and restaurants. Nice ride to Bullhead city, or Lake Havassu. And not far from the Mojave National Preserve.

Sorry I can't think of the name.

Barb said:
There's a park in Needles, CA, that rented around $300 w/electric last year. Decent choice of groceries stores and restaurants. Nice ride to Bullhead city, or Lake Havassu. And not far from the Mojave National Preserve.

Sorry I can't think of the name.

When heading to QZ from an overnight in Mojave or Barstow en route, I sometimes spend the night in the Calizona RV park about 5 miles South of Needles on the CA 95. The overnight was $25 and the monthly $195 + Electric.

The park was full of Canadian Snowbirds. I guess several stayed there a few years back, spread the word, now it's almost full from Canada. It's close to the river, Bullhead, Lake Havasu, or only a few hours from beautiful downtown Quartzsite!  :)

A downside of Needles is that it is the Gasoline Ripoff capital of the West. Have never seen the prices less than $4.00 or $5.00. Earlier this year I noted the prices, then purchased in Bullhead for around $2.79.

The weird thing about Needles is that you don't have to drive very far to get much, much cheaper gas. So how do they get away with such high prices?

Wendy
LaPine, Oregon, visiting Mom & Dad

I think I remember a place called Desert Rose.  Up and down that road a bunch of times last winter.  Also the Calizona Park.  Check into CRA.  Membership parks right on the river.

Back
Top Bottom