Inverter installation not working with generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

errolcw

I recently installed a XANTREX MS2000 inverter in a Holiday Rambler 2000 Endeavor and every thing works fine except when running the inverter/charger with the ONAN 6.5KW generator.? With the inverter/charger on and the generator operating the inverter sees the AC voltage from the generator (shown on the inverter control panel) but will not pass the AC through to the inverter loads nor charge the batteries - the inverter/charger stays in inverter mode.?

With no AC power the inverter and inverter loads work fine.? With shorepower applied the inverter/charger passes the AC through to the inverter loads and charges the batteries and everything works fine.?

Does anyone have any experience with this problem or have any ideas?

Just to be sure, you did wire the inverter after the changeover switch, right? The changeover switch (either manual or automatic) switches between shore power and generator.

If so, there's no logical reason that the inverter will correctly sense (and switch to) shore power, but not generator power.

Yes Tom, I wired the inverter from the main AC distribution panel.  AC In comes from this panel and AC out comes to a new sub-panel.  The main AC distribution panel is after the transfer switch.

errolcw said:
I wired the inverter from the main AC distribution panel. AC In comes from this panel and AC out comes to a new sub-panel. The main AC distribution panel is after the transfer switch.

Ok thanks. I figured that would have to be the case for you to be able to see the generator AC on the inverter control panel. This is definitely a head scratcher, but lemme think some more.

I also assume all your loads (or at least some of them) are wired to the new sub panel? Presumably that's so only some loads can be run from the inverter?

For some reason the inverter knows when the generator is supplying power.  With everything wired properly, I would think there is no way the inverter could tell the difference (except maybe frequency).  Have you checked all the ground/neutral connections.  Maybe there is a connection that the generator circuit has that is not in the loop when on shore power.

Turns about I had to adjust the settings on AC power in.  The generator was sending some loads higher than I had set.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
errolcw

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for coming back and letting us know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom