Moab rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
The 2005 RV Forum Moab rally will be held at Portal RV Park, Moab, Utah May 1 through 11. Anyone planning to attend should make reservations with the park by calling 1-800-574-2028 or (435) 259-6108. Let them know you're with the RV Forum rally. If all the hookup sites are taken, you may be able to use their overflow area (grassy field), but they'll readily move you into one of the hookup sites if they have a cancelation or someone leaves early. These folks are really nice to deal with and go out of their way to accomodate you.

If you decide to go, don't forget to let us know.

For those wondering what Moab is all about, click the link http://tinyurl.com/6nvdq to see some photos from the 2004 Moab rally. If you tow a 4WD and like off-roading, you'll really love this place. Alternatively, you can rent a jeep in town.

Also for those that may not be interested in off roading Canyonlands and Arches National parks are right there.  If they don't have a 4 wheel drive but would like to go on the off road trips there is always room with us that have them.

Ah, good points Ron. Our friends who visited us at Moab for a few days last year didn't want to go off-roading, so we took them to Arches National Park for an easy, relaxing day trip and picnic. It's easy to get to from the campground, and is paved road all the way. Great scenery the entire trip. I'll get a few photos uploaded for folks to see.

Haven't been to Canyonlands, but will make a point of going there this upcoming trip.

I should also clarify that there's a wide variety of off-road trails around Moab, ranging from bunny runs to "no way!" Our trailblazing leaders let folks know ahead of time the difficulty and estimated duration of the trips.

Canyonlands is at least a 2 day visit.  There is a north and a south unit, and the entrances are quite far apart.  Both are worth a visit.

OK thanks Ned. I'd better get reading.

>>>Canyonlands is at least a 2 day visit.  There is a north and a south unit, and the entrances are quite far apart.<<<

I would say three days.  One day for the south unit, 1 day for the north unit, and 1 day to return to one or the other for the second look.(BG)

Actually, guys it will take more time than that.  You have Arches National Park, Canyonlands and the La Sal Mountains to the south east.  There are few places you can go and see sesert and Aspen groves with snow within 35 miles.

Also, you forgot to mention that for those without 4 wheel drive vehicles, they can also rent a jeep in town to join the group, but it isn't cheap.  More than $100/day.

Ron from Big D

We were saying 2 days just for Canyonlands.  It takes years to see everything :)

I mentioned the Jeep rentals in my first message Ron, but I had no idea what they cost. $100/day could get expensive if you rent every day for a couple of weeks. OTOH it's not a bad deal for a few days if you don't normally tow a 4WD. A little bit like folks who like to ride horses I suppose. The occasional-ride folks will rent locally, but the serious riders probably take their own horses along.

I am not aware of anyone that wanted to go on an off road trip being left behind because of lake of room.  Seems there is always plenty of room for those that want to go.  The rentals would only be necessary if someone without a 4WD really wanted to experience driving off road.

As for how long it would take to see everything???  Hmmm, let see now, more time than we have spent there so far. That doesn't even take into consideration of all the sights to see on the way to Moab like Zions, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, the cold water Geyser near Green River, Ut and more.

Tom,

[Haven't been to Canyonlands, but will make a point of going there this upcoming trip.]

Here are four pictures I took several years ago of Canyonlands with my inferior camera. :)

Attachments

• DSCN1523 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1523 (Small).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1532 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1532 (Small).JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN1539 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1539 (Small).JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN1544 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1544 (Small).JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 16
No problem Tom. I've got a few more but these seem to show it best. I've only seen a small portion of Canyonlands.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom