How to fix a leak in my '04 Journey skylight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Bill

I have a weeping leak on the sidewall side of the skylight over the shower in my ?04 Journey.  The plastic is not cracked.  Has anyone had this type of leak?  I am wondering if the water is getting in by running down the plastic and through the frame joint with the roof.  If this is the case I will need to take the skylight apart and reseal the ?sandwich? of the plastic, the fiberglass roof, and the frame.  If not, I can redo the sealing around the frame using Eternabond or calk.  I haven?t been able to find any diagram of how the skylight is mounted in the roof.

As you have discovered, the skylight is a two-piece plastic. The outer (top) piece is held on by 4 cleats attached by 3 or 3 screws each. On mine, there was not a continuous bead of sealant under the lip of the skylight - - there is now, and it does not leak. If the outer shell is not cracked, a leak would allow water to pool in the outer corner between the two plastic shells. The water then finds its' way into the ceiling of the shower area.

The fix on mine (it was cracked) was to replace it, and seal it with self-leveling caulk all around.

Back
Top Bottom