One fix down several more to go!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wpflum

Got the power steering pump repaired on the beast, 72/73 class C camper, turns out that I didn't twist the bolt off holding the pump on , it just released very slowly which led me to believe that I'd started to twist it off.  So I was able to remove it and clean up the threads and body of the bolt so I could reinstall it easily and discovered that the bolt that pivots the pump bracket was broken off!! 

The only thing holding the pump against the forces of the tensioned belt for 1800 miles was rust!!  Can anyone tell me what I have to sacrafice to the RV gods for that gimme :eek:

Any who, now onto the next repair, the rear main seal which leaks like a sieve.  Which brings me to the reason for this post,  I Googled a bit but didn't really find a place I can post for a slightly older Dodge Van, ok really older Dodge van, so I figured I might come across someone here with experience with older Dodges.

I'm pretty sure I can replace the rear main seal without pulling the engine or transmission but my main problem is getting the oil pan off to work on the seal.  I can either unbolt the motor from the motor mounts and disconnect a lot of crap on the top side to let me jack up the motor to get clearance from the cross member to pull the pan off or I can unbolt the cross member from the frame and disconnect a brake line, and find a way to keep the engine from dropping after I remove said cross member.  I'm leaning toward removing the cross member but I figured I'd like a bit of moral support if possible from someone who may have already done something like this.

Any takers??

Bill

RV Roamer said:
The usual ritual is to drink three beers (wine may be substituted) in a toast to the RV gods by the light of a full moon.

I hope I can substitute a diet cola, I don't like beer and never developed the taste for wine.  ;D

I REALLY don't want to offend the RV gods though, I can just see the entire drive train falling off on the next trip.  :eek:

Bill

GKman said:
You might find some old codger at http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/index.php that could help.

I'll give them a shot although most of the 'forums' like this seemed to have no recent posts so I figured that a request like mine might be a little like talking to myself and I do that enough now that people talk. Of course the voices in my head tell me to ignore other people but what do they know  ::)

Bill 

You might wanna check classicwinnebagos.com most of them have those 70's winnie Braves and Warriors with the Dodge engines. They have a whole section dedicated to Dodge chassis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom