Dog Equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wendy

Site Team
A couple of things to keep handy in the RV if you travel with a dog -

hemostats - handy for removing cactus, hogheads, porcupine quills, etc.

hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, Dawn - mix together to remove skunk spray (had to use this last night on Gordon)

old towels - also useful if Mr Skunk comes around

extra collar so you can throw away the one that gets skunk stink on it (don't want the hairy kid wandering around without identification and it's easier to throw away the skunky one and put on a new one)

eye wash - in case the skunk hits the dog's eyes

extra dog tag in case his falls off

Wendy, sorry to hear that we had a run in with a skunk. What a way to find out these extra items you may need. Thanks for sharing, just sorry it was from a new found experience. I also keep and highly recommend a bottle of waterless dog shampoo, sure works great in a pinch for those in between monthly bath times when you don't think you'll make it with the smell, doubt it would work on skunk smell though  ;D

Hope all smells well now.

The waterless dog shampoo sounds great. I could have used it yesterday after Gordon's swim in a lake that left him a little stinky. He had one bath in the afternoon after the swim and another one after the skunk incident....poor baby, 2 baths yesterday and another one today.

Now we just need help getting rid of the skunk that's taken up residence under the garden shed. Maybe he'll be gone when we get back in the spring?

Wendy

Lou (onaquest) said:
Wendy, (and others)

I consider the micro chip a must also.

Absolutely. All of our dogs have been chipped since they started micro-chipping dogs. And I keep the tag with the 1-800 number and the dog's chip number on my keychain so I know where to call if he should go missing.

Wendy

Lou (onaquest) said:
Wendy, (and others)

I consider the micro chip a must also.

That's one clean pooch you are goin to have there Wendy, I am sure both you and Gordon are both sick of the baths. Maybe he will behave himself now or mmmmm, maybe he likes baths and he's doing this on purpose?

That's a good idea to Lou, I take it you have reaped the benefits from the chip. The only story I heard is from a friend of mine where her dog almost didn't get returned and he had a microchip, no one thought to scan him or didn't have the equipment, how pathetic is that?

Wendy said:
Absolutely. All of our dogs have been chipped since they started micro-chipping dogs. And I keep the tag with the 1-800 number and the dog's chip number on my keychain so I know where to call if he should go missing.

Wendy

You don't need to call anybody in most cases. The info is usually on the web.  Here is one example.  Try for your county. I know we can look up both of our doggies and they were tagged in different states.

-Don- Near Vancouver, BC​

Newspaper says we have 30% more skunks this year in our area.  Two years ago we trapped and relocated 16 adults. Yuck.

Wendy said:
A couple of things to keep handy in the RV if you travel with a dog -

hemostats - handy for removing cactus, hogheads, porcupine quills, etc.
Goat heads or PunctureVine are so bad in some places in NV and Oregon that you cannot even let your doggy out to run around. They will also get into the shoes of humans. They are HARD and I have to remove countless goat heads from Trixie's paws. For some unknown reason, our other doggy, "Reno" seems to know how to avoid them. Something I have not yet figured out. But at least, they can be removed by hand from Trixie's paws.

hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, Dawn - mix together to remove skunk spray (had to use this last night on Gordon)

Or just buy some of this stuff and keep a bottle in every vehicle that you take the doggies in. Also, plenty of towels, as you mentioned.

-Don-  Near Vancouver, BC​

taoshum said:
Newspaper says we have 30% more skunks this year in our area.  Two years ago we trapped and relocated 16 adults. Yuck.

Some people (not mentioning any names) are known to relocate them close to Jesus and Elvis.  Ebay search Pelt, Skunk.

In your travel pet kit, add a  Photo Wanted Poster  that can be completed with a magic marker, re location, and photocopied.

Back
Top Bottom