A special message of thanks for our President

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom

I had an opposite experience when applying for SS this year... I did it on line as you but only had to provide a copy of my DD-214, either by mail to ANY SS office or in person. I chose the mail route & it was returned to me 2 weeks later... intact, pretty efficient I say.

I must admit, I took the title of this thread as a possible political issue as well; and was completely surprised when the discussion was centered around Social Security.  Tom, I know you well enough to realize this was done "tongue in cheek", but it did raise my political antenna.  :D  Since Tim and I had just gone through the process of getting Railroad retirement, reading your experience was just about how our process went and cracked me up that someone else had to jump through hoops as well.  We supplied the information, in person, I might add; then had to resupply information; but it did eventually get set up.  You can't do RR on line, so that would have helped.

Even though we have been getting our benefits since August, the information provided by RR and SS both state that your are entitled to benefits the first full month after your 62 birthday.  So, since Tim turned 62 in June we expected the benefits to start in July....but no, our little RR representative said, they are paid after a full month, so you are getting your July benefits the first of August...<aaarrrggg>  This seems so counter-intutive.  It's like work, your work a month then get paid, even though we had already paid in.  At any rate, at least we are in the system.

Mc2guy:
Being an ever-optimist, I'm hoping we get this straighten out, because it's the young worker who will get raked over the coals either by big tax increases or by no return.  SS has totally been mishandled; but we have put into it for years and to just get nothing for our contributions to SS, seems vastly unfair to both young and old.  Anyone putting into the system, needs to expect a return. 

For me, the biggest issue I see, is with the "baby-boomers" and their personal lack of planning.  How many of them are relying on SS as their only means of income and if it fails, they will have nothing.  With the baby-boomers hitting the system, that could be a real problem if it fails.

Tim and I have always felt we could have done far better with the money that was paid to SS over all the years of our working, if we would have handled it ourselves, instead of turning it over to the government.

Marsha~

Boy you would think that Tom made a bad joke about gasoline prices or that Walmart was going to start charging $20 a night to park.

Terry,

I knew that you and I were looking to apply this year, and was going to drop you an email asking the status.

In my case, I didn't want to mail originals of those documents, copies were not allowed and, in some cases, their web site specifically said don't mail them. I really had no issue with having to hand deliver the originals and, in fact, was amused by the concurrent events.

The SSA office is virtually next door to one of the closest Costco stores, and around the corner from Best Buy, so I had an afternoon of shopping for electronics. All in all, a good day, although it didn't remove anything from the honey-do list that Chris left me  :(
[edit]Fixed typo.[/edit]

Aye Marsha, tongue in cheek is right on. Most folks who've known me here for some time, in addition to close friends and family, know that I'm not a "political animal". I'd even say that nobody knows my political opinion. That's why the responses had me scratching my head.

We don't choose our friends based on their political or religious views, and shun folks who feel they have to do that. I occasionally (enjoy) having fun with friends, irrespective of their political bias, taking the opposing view. They know it's harmless, and for the most part humor me. One of my favorite teases was with a boating friend who is about as hard over to the right as anyone I know, and has a sign on the door of his boat that says "Attack republican" (as in warning, attack dog); In the runup to the election, I made up some lyrics to the tune of 'Oh Suzanna', and convinced him to sing it to other boating friends. Everyone cracked up at this staunch republican singing "I'm Obama, why don't you vote for me". He was a good sport.

In another forum many years ago, one of the Admins jumped into a conversation with "it's just Tom's odd Welsh wit"  ;D

I received several mailings from SSA in the years/months prior to my eligibility date.  I would faithfully review each one for accuracy, not only in the financial data, but the accuracy of the name and birthday.  Everything checked out until the very last mailing.  They had changed the spelling of my first name and changed my birthday by exactly one year.

It took me seven months to get it rectified.  I showed them the prior mailings (that were correct) and informed them that it was they, who had made the changes, but I was told that it was my responsibility to provide the documentation and proof to support any changes that I wanted made.

[quote author=seilerbird]... it's your forum, you can post anything you want.[/quote]

Just for clarification, that's not an accurate statement; I'm required to abide by the same rules everyone else here is required to comply with (click the Rules button above). Actually, as staffer Gary periodically reminds me, I'm held to a higher standard.

If/when I step out of line, one or more of the forum staff will take me to task, either via PM or as a group in the back room. Heck, just recently I started a topic on a subject I felt I had some unique knowledge and experience with, but was descended upon by staff. After listening to what they had to say, I removed my post.

We had to drive 100 miles to the nearest SS office, twice... we did combine the trip with other "errands" that we needed to do when we visit the "big" city of Santa Fe.  I thought the SSA people were very competent and well trained... at least compared to most other similar agencies, including, for example Am Express.  If you don't know about this website  www.gethuman.com it is a treasure chest of ways to bypass the automated answering systems that are so prolific anymore.  If you want to speak to a human, instead of some automated robotic system that doesn't help at all, try the website to see if there is a bypass.  I use it often.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Tom said:
Just for clarification, that's not an accurate statement; I'm required to abide by the same rules everyone else here is required to comply with (click the Rules button above). Actually, as staffer Gary periodically reminds me, I'm held to a higher standard.

If/when I step out of line, one or more of the forum staff will take me to task, either via PM or as a group in the back room. Heck, just recently I started a topic on a subject I felt I had some unique knowledge and experience with, but was descended upon by staff. After listening to what they had to say, I removed my post.

Then I am right, you can post anything you want, but then you can remove anything you want. ;D

Please don't blame my sense of humor, sometimes that's the only sense I have.

Lou, I've been accused of having a weird sense of humor myself.  For example, have you heard the joke about the skeleton that went into a bar and ordered a beer and a mop?  Every time I tell that joke to someone I laugh, and my wife always tells the recipient that I have a weird sense of humor.  Go figure.  ???

It seems to me that this nation is becoming more divided.  My republican friends and my democratic friends seem be be at great odds and totally not listening to each other. Whatever is stated, the most controversial aspect of an idea is immediate taken by the opposing party.  It's a sad situation:'(

Lou (onaquest) said:
I received several mailings from SSA in the years/months prior to my eligibility date.  I would faithfully review each one for accuracy, not only in the financial data, but the accuracy of the name and birthday.  Everything checked out until the very last mailing.  They had changed the spelling of my first name and changed my birthday by exactly one year.

It took me seven months to get it rectified.  I showed them the prior mailings (that were correct) and informed them that it was they, who had made the changes, but I was told that it was my responsibility to provide the documentation and proof to support any changes that I wanted made.

Lou

When my mother died, we discovered her SSA information had her name spelled wrong. So we trotted down to our local SSA office to get it corrected. After 1 1/2 hour wait we saw a clerk who informed us that SSA is unable to correct their error and we would have to have our Congressman to get a bill passed to make the correction. A couple of calls to our Congressman's office was as productive as the visit to the SSA :mad:

I hope SSI isn't gone any time soon.

I'm counting on it in about 20 years since my 401K won't be there either  :-[

Please don't blame my sense of humor, sometimes that's the only sense I have.

I love a keen warped tongue in cheek sense of humor  ;D  As crazy as the world is today, you have to laugh at it....... though I have to admit that recently I have met some people who if they were to walk into their livingroom and let out a good hard belly laugh their family would want to know who the stranger is.  It must be extremely tense going through life like that

rsalhus said:
Lou, I've been accused of having a weird sense of humor myself.  For example, have you heard the joke about the skeleton that went into a bar and ordered a beer and a mop?  Every time I tell that joke to someone I laugh, and my wife always tells the recipient that I have a weird sense of humor.  Go figure.   ???

I laughed at your joke ;D.  I think some folks just visualize things more, or quicker, than others.

I'm not an advocate of always wearing "rose colored glasses", but I do love to laugh.

most people are like you, but as the earlier post mentioned, the divisions are getting larger and larger.  24/7 "news" coverage of every little issue does little to unite us, IMHO.  then there's the "talk" shows, commercials, etc.

thx, g.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom