A special message of thanks for our President

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You people think you're confused. I've been on SSD since 1979, Mike's been on a federal disability retirement since 1995. When we turn retirement age, something happens but we can't seem to find anyone who can tell us what happens or at what age.

Wendy

Nobody moved or removed your message; It's still where you posted it  ;)

Wendy said:
You people think you're confused. I've been on SSD since 1979, Mike's been on a federal disability retirement since 1995. When we turn retirement age, something happens but we can't seem to find anyone who can tell us what happens or at what age.Wendy

What ever happens, and whenever it happens, I'd almost bet that your net benefit decreases ;) :D

That's just cynicism talking.  I have no idea what rules will apply to either you or Mike.  Let's hope for the best outcome possible.

Lou (onaquest) said:
What ever happens, and whenever it happens, I'd almost bet that your net benefit decreases ;) :D

Whatever happens, I've certainly gone way past my break-even point.  :D

QUOTE:  "You people think you're confused. I've been on SSD since 1979, Mike's been on a federal disability retirement since 1995. When we turn retirement age, something happens but we can't seem to find anyone who can tell us what happens or at what age.''

Wendy, when you turn retirement age or FRA as it's called, meaning "full retirement age," you will not see nor experience any changes. Your SSD, when it was awarded in '79, was awarded at your FRA amount, and when you reach FRA, it's merely an internal to SSA accounting function that takes place. You will no longer be paid as "disability," but as "retirement." You will not know the difference

I am not sure what happens in your husband case, his federal retirement/disability is covered under FERS I think but not sure. Anyway, I believe his situation will be similar to your in that it's just an accounting change, no change to him..

Thanks to those who sent me info on what happens with my SSD. Too bad I'll be moving from a fund with plenty of money to one that's going broke. Of course, I've got another 10 years on SSD so we'll see what happens.

Wendy

5 years ago Alan Greenspan went on tv and complained about SS going broke and how  congress would have to "tinker" with it. I immediatly went online and signed up at 63 and never looked back, I am still self-employed and enjoy the extra $1200 a month in savings, making intrest.>>>D

[quote author=utahclaimjumper]Tom, at least you did not use the term "illegal immigrant",,,[/quote]

Actually, I did, but clarified the fact that I'm not  ;D

[quote author=utahclaimjumper]5 years ago ... I immediatly went online and signed up at 63 ....[/quote]

So that would make you ..... almost as old as Ned  :eek:

I signed up at 62, 5 years ago.  You do the math.

utahclaimjumper said:
5 years ago Alan Greenspan went on tv and complained about SS going broke and how  congress would have to "tinker" with it. I immediatly went online and signed up at 63 and never looked back, I am still self-employed and enjoy the extra $1200 a month in savings, making intrest.>>>D

Ever since SS was instituted in the 30s there have been people claiming SS is going broke. After 70 years of crying wolf I would think people would realize that the people who claim SS is going broke don't have a clue.

seilerbird said:
Ever since SS was instituted in the 30s there have been people claiming SS is going broke. After 70 years of crying wolf I would think people would realize that the people who claim SS is going broke don't have a clue.

It's something that the federal government can't allow to go broke. Imagine thousand of seniors, penniless and pissed off.

Wendy

[quote author=Jim Johnson]Well, we're half way there[/quote]

Which half Jim, penniless or .... ?

I hear this all the time about SSA going broke, I live in a rural and distressed area so it is just "scare politics as  ususal."  I keep telling people not to worry about that, that I am not myself the least worried about it and I usually remind them of how many we are these days. Way, way too many to let this system fail, it's not just a few thousands or thousand, not just a new millions but many, many millions.

Social Security will not "belly up," it will not quit paying and to scare our seniors and other SS recipients into thinking that is just plain mean, callous, and insensitive, all just to get votes.

It is a great program for those who paid into it as well as those continuing to pay into it: it is not great tho, that many draw out of it that never paid in. Therein lies the only real problem with it.

I have confidence that there will be a soluition in our future that keeps SS viable for many, many years to come.

There were two very interesting articles in the Austin Statesman and the Chicago Tribune this past weekend regarding SS and - especially - seniors.  The one in the Austin paper blasted "whiny" seniors who complain about not getting any COLA increase next year and also the AARP for essentially harming the future of our children.  It was written (by a senior) in a very harsh and accusatory tone.  The article in the Chicago Tribune didn't include the AARP, but had much the same info about seniors and SS, but in a much less inflammatory tone.  It was amazing how much more easily I could accept the Chicago article and how irritated the Austin article made me. 

FYI - If you're interested in the Austin article, it was in the Sunday bidness (as we say down here) section, written by Scott Burns.  The website is www.statesman.com.  The article from the Tribune I also saw in the Austin paper on Monday, on one of the editorial pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom