Weird, unusual restaurants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

Last night, driving around Vancouver, BC we were looking for a different type of restaurant for a change. That's hard to do, being from the SF Bay Area. But we did succeed  and had a very delicious meal.

This place had almost all Indian people as customers, but the cooks were all Chinese, but I assume most of them were from India. This must be an authentic Indian Chinese Restaurant (an oxymoron?).

On a Wednesday night, after 2130 hrs, this place was packed full and there was a 20  minute wait. Each dish is about $13.00 in Canadian dollars ($1.05 to one US dollar given  in banks here). But if you think that's expensive, you have not been to Alberta lately where a simple hamburger is more than ten bucks. And that's the "normal" price far from the tourist traps. Food here in BC is a lot cheaper than Alberta, but still more expensive than in the USA.

That's me in the pic below in front of the place, but the pic was at night and I didn't come out well, but the restaurant is clear.

The unusual spices and flavors don't compare to anything else we've tried.

What weird restaurants have all you been to lately?

-Don- In Peace Arch RV Park, Surrey, BC

Attachments

• IndChiRes.JPG
    IndChiRes.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 64
That's the kind of place my wife would enjoy Don; She likes both Chinese and Indian food, and the combination sounds intriguing. I used to enjoy Indian food in the UK in my youth, but something happened to my taste buds over the years. When Chris attempts this at home, she has to make it so mild (for me), that it has no taste for her.

Tom said:
That's the kind of place my wife would enjoy Don; She likes both Chinese and Indian food, and the combination sounds intriguing. I used to enjoy Indian food in the UK in my youth, but something happened to my taste buds over the years. When Chris attempts this at home, she has to make it so mild (for me), that it has no taste for her.

I think you will have to either go to India or here in the Vancouver area for such food. Here in the Vancouver area there are many Chinese people  and many people from India. In SF, you have the Chinese but not that many people from India.

Have you been up here before? We've been up here many times, but  food was never as expensive as it is now in this area, when compared to SF prices.

However, we've never had a bad meal in the Vancouver area. In fact, in our opinions, you get better Hong Kong style food here than you do in Hong Kong. Seems all the good Hong Kong cooks moved up here to the Vancouver area.

Tom feels right at home here. It was his idea to stay here for more than a week.

-Don- in Surrey, BC​

I haven't been to BC since the 80's, or to Alberta since the 90's.

Indian cuisine seems to have taken over the UK during the last 20 years, and our UK visitors always ask if there are any Indian restaurants here. On the Delta  ???  When we visit the UK, family and friends always want to take us to their favorite Indian restaurant. We go, but I get to go hungry.

I had a number of Indian colleagues at the last couple of companies where I worked. One year, one colleague asked if we were having a Christmas party that year and, when I said we were taking a break, he and his wife offered to to have one at their house. Chris and I were the only non-Indians invited. They had a local Indian restaurant do the catering, with some additions by the hostess. I took one bite of the first dish, and my mouth was immediately anesthetized; I couldn't taste anything else all night, while everyone else enjoyed the feast.

Haven't eaten good Cantonese food since I quit flying to Hong Kong.

I'm sorry, but I can't support this as a mini rally even though you took a picture  ;D 
    As for weird Indian food, our trip to an Indian restaurant in Tokyo takes that honour.  We learned our Indian tastes at the hands of a neighbour who is is an excellent cook, and Donna & I were the only non Indiansat many a party.  Tom, we were used to the spices, so enjoyed the heat, but they were always surprised when we would eat even the hottest foods.

Tom said:
I haven't been to BC since the 80's, or to Alberta since the 90's.

Those were the days when the prices were about the same in Canada as the USA.

Indian cuisine seems to have taken over the UK during the last 20 years,

Tom & I were in England in year 2000 and we noticed all the Indian restaurants there. But didn't notice any Indian style Chinese food.  Whoever came up with that idea for here in Vancouver must have made a bundle, considering the crowd in that restaurant on a late Wednesday night! Glad we didn't try to go there on a Friday!

Indian cuisine seems to have taken over the UK during the last 20 years, and our UK visitors always ask if there are any Indian restaurants here. On the Delta  ???  When we visit the UK, family and friends always want to take us to their favorite Indian restaurant. We go, but I get to go hungry.

Curry is too hot for you? Ever tried Portuguese sauce? It's the same flavor, but not at all hot.  It's common in Macau and there is a very good Macau restaurant in San Francisco at Taraval and 28TH Ave called T-28. You can read about it here. That's in the Sunset area. And the price is cheap. It's a cash only place, no plastic. If you ever get there, try their baked Portuguese chicken.

I had a number of Indian colleagues at the last couple of companies where I worked. One year, one colleague asked if we were having a Christmas party that year and, when I said we were taking a break, he and his wife offered to to have one at their house. Chris and I were the only non-Indians invited. They had a local Indian restaurant do the catering, with some additions by the hostess. I took one bite of the first dish, and my mouth was immediately anesthetized; I couldn't taste anything else all night, while everyone else enjoyed the feast.

I love all types of curry, any color, and I don't care how spicy hot. I even like the Portuguese sauce that's not at all spicy.

Haven't eaten good Cantonese food since I quit flying to Hong Kong.

When was the last time you were in Hong Kong? Tom and I were last there a couple of years ago. Now, there's a McDonald's on every block, but if you want Dim Sum, you might have to search for it! But the big shock to me was seeing Starbucks in mainland China!

Here's a couple of pictures of Tom & I at Diamond Hill in Hong Kong. One was taken in 1981 and the other in 2007. Tom lived there when he was a little kid, in the 1950's.

-Don- in Surrey, BC​

Attachments

• 1981.JPG
    1981.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 30
  • TD2007.jpg
    TD2007.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 28
For those who like their food delivered air mail there's "Lambert's, Home of Throwed Rolls"
http://www.throwedrolls.com/

We also have a "home of the throw'd roll" here in Houston.  Not as famous as Lamberts, but still very good.  And some of the best mashed taters I've ever had...yummmmmy!

http://potatoepatch.com/

I have been to this restaurant on Taiwan here's the photo
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7131/restaurant7wv.png
well  the food is really awesome and the concept of the restaurant
is really creative

loaneylonely said:
I have been to this restaurant on Taiwan here's the photo
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7131/restaurant7wv.png
well  the food is really awesome and the concept of the restaurant
is really creative

That takes the cake for being "weird & unusual"!

-Don- SSF, CA​

Back
Top Bottom