Filon adhesive suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sportsdad

So, the filon for my cabover rebuild project will be coming Oct. 13th. Flat shipped, two pieces. It has luan backing except in the area where it will curve around the nose of the cab (I still have the original underlying .100 thick fiberglass leading edge that the filon will attach to)

I've gotten all sorts of advise from various sources of what I should use to bond it to the plywood.

From the filon manufacturer: Use urethane-based glue

From the Rot Doctor: Loctite Black Contact Adhesive (handles extreme temperatures, however I've only found it in 5 oz. tubes, and I have 64 sq. feet of area to cover!)

From searching this forum: Stabond (Spending stuff, but a forerunner so far)

From memoryroads, who has done this rebuild himself: Regular contact cement.

So, what do you folks think? Keep in mind that this new lauan-backing filon piece will be adhering to epoxy-coated plywood. So basically, what in your opinion is a good adhesive to adhere wood to dry epoxy? It needs to stick fast and hold. It would be tough to clamp everything up so I need a fast contact type cement.

After hours and hours of research, and a few phone calls to RV repair shops, the general consensus was "Contact cement", so I'm going to go with that. Wish me luck, if I screw this up, it will be a $200 error (re-applying the filon on the cabover)

Stabond is the suggested contact adhesive to use with Filon, I am in the process of rebuilding a trailer that was rear ended and this is what the supplier recommended.
You apply the adhesive to the Filon and plywood and let it dry to the touch.  The application time is between 5 to 45 minutes, depending on many factors.  If you apply the Filon too early where the Stabond is wet underneath, the solvents evaporating will cause gas bubbles within 7 to 12 hours after application and these bubbles will show through the Filon.  So rolling it on will be thicker than spraying and required longer drying time.  While spraying or rolling it on, the Stabond starts to spider web almost immediately.  When you stick the two dry pieces together, just by barely touching them, it's permanent and you can't pull them apart. 

Filon expands and contracts and the same rate as the plywood mounting surface so use of other adhesives is not suggested

I hope this helps
Rick

Ah, they are the same pics as in my cabover rebuild.

Hope you had a great thanksgiving with your family!

Attachments

• Camper24.JPG
    Camper24.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Camper28.JPG
    Camper28.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 91

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member