Replacing GE Advantium Microwave in Horizon 40AD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LK23

Our GE Advantium microwave went out while traveling.  We purchased a new one from Home Depot and had it delivered to the RV Park.  My attempt to remove the broken microwave was very frustrating.  The first step was to remove the L shaped wood trim from the top and left side of the microware.  It appeared that only two screws on the top board was all that was holding it in place.  However, it would not budge, not matter how hard I pulled.  After spending several hours trying to remove the trim, I used a turnbuckle tied to a board across the front of the slide to pull the trim piece out.  Yes, it came out and in doing so I cracked the wood.  

After getting the trim piece out I discovered what was holding it in place - two long strips of plastic, industrial strength velcro.  Man, this is tough velcro!

I had the trim piece glued and repaired by a local woodworking shop. I removed all but one small piece of the velcro, just in case I ever have to remove this piece again.

I hired an installer to install the new microwave since it weighs 78 lbs.  The old unit was easy to remove by taking 6 screw out of the top bracket and the front tilts downward and out of the bracket on the wall.  After the installer installed the new microwave, I re-installed the trim piece.  See photos:

Attachments

• IMG_3711.jpg
    IMG_3711.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3705.jpg
    IMG_3705.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3708.jpg
    IMG_3708.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3712.jpg
    IMG_3712.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3713.jpg
    IMG_3713.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3714.jpg
    IMG_3714.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 31
Rex - sorry your Advantium went inop  :-\  I was wondering how the wood fascia was attached - mine is a little loose.

Thanks very much for the report!

John,

Not sure what fascia you referring to, but I only dealt with the L shaped trim above the microwave.  I should also mention that I had the woodworking shop shave 1/16 inch off edge of the vertical piece to make an easier re-install.  That helped a lot.

John Canfield said:
Rex - yes, I was referring to the "L" trim piece.  Mine is a little loose.

John,

If the horizontal piece is loose, take out the wood plugs and tighten the screws.

If the vertical piece is loose, the Velcro backing is not attached and you can attempt to push the lower end back in place.  If you use a mirror and a flashlight you can look behind that trim piece to see if the velcro is attached.

Back
Top Bottom