Roadtrek Opinions and Class

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandeel

I am very close to retiring.... We have purchased a condo in Leisure World in Silver Spring Maryland and will be transitioning our of our 4br house.  I have only been looking at class C RVs until I ran accross this...

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/listing/2000-Roadtrek-170-Popular-95711003

It will likely only be accomodating myself....  I plan on being on the road from April- November.....There is no RV storage in LW but this is a van conversion not really an RV.  So I wouldn't have to pay for storage.  I also like the idea of going to areas that would not be Class C friendly....I am a flyfisherman so you get the idea.....

Any thoughts....

BTW- I've noticed that type B's usually have higher mileage than C's for the same year....

thanks,

If a Class B suits your needs, Roadtrek is a decent brand. So is Pleasureway and Coachhouse. The Ventura by Four Winds is another slick one. 

Several manufacturers are building nice B's on the Sprinter chassis as well, e.g the Legend by Great West Vans, the Xplorer Xteme  and the Airstream Interstate.    And take a look at the Winnebago Profile - it is considered a "C" but at 24 feet it's more like  a big van.

If you have not RVed before I would recommend renting the model you think you are interested in and see if you really like it.  Testing one would also develope a like and dislike list and give you a clear idea of what you want to live in for several months at time.

sandeel said:
I am very close to retiring.... We have purchased a condo in Leisure World in Silver Spring Maryland and will be transitioning our of our 4br house.  I have only been looking at class C RVs until I ran accross this...

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/listing/2000-Roadtrek-170-Popular-95711003

It will likely only be accomodating myself....  I plan on being on the road from April- November.....There is no RV storage in LW but this is a van conversion not really an RV.  So I wouldn't have to pay for storage.  I also like the idea of going to areas that would not be Class C friendly....I am a flyfisherman so you get the idea.....

Any thoughts....

BTW- I've noticed that type B's usually have higher mileage than C's for the same year....

thanks,

The reasons for the higher mileage on a used 'Class B' are...ease and efficiency of use, including touring, parking, and lesser fuel cost etc.

...just think, you can jump into it without a whole lot of prep, and drive off to some spot alongside a river or stream, and park.  In Colorado, where we are, there are literally thousands of places to go that are within an hour or so of the cities...and finding great fishing/dry camping spots is easy.  Also, if you have to make a run to the store, or want to make a run to dinner in a nearby restaurant, life is easy with the RT. That's what convinced us to buy a RT Adventurous.      Susan in Denver

If it were just me, I would have no problem with a class B.  I would rather not have a wet bath, though.  I have a friend with a Roadtrek and I don't like some of the design elements...I would check it out carefully before buying.  Leaks happen. My friend uses hers as a second car a lot of time, so it gets more mileage than a class C likely would.

I highly recommend the Roadtrek Popular 190 for you. It is perfect for a single flyfisherman and available with an all wheel drive powertrain (4X4) should you frequent out of the way river and stream access. Fully self contained and comfortable with reasonable economy. Only draw back is gear storage but shouldn't be a problem if you have your gear dialed in and know how to pack and provision. Can easily dry camp or hang out of the grid for several days if you watch your consumption of water and propane. Suggest you contact Roadtrek RV in Canada for availability of 4X4 if that is meaningful to you. Good luck and tight lines!

Thanks for all your feedback on this question. :).... However, another option has entered the picture......  24' Europa.... A little more room but stillt the convenience of a Class B.... more like a C- or a B+.  Any thoughts on this option...
:)

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/rvs/1751506940.html

thanks  again... all....

I would suggest you go look at a 24 foot class A it will have a whole lot more room in the interior.

If you have not RVed before I would recommend renting the model you think you are interested in and see if you really like it.

I like to dry camp and flyfish and I started with a Chinook Concourse.  After two years I switched to a Road Trek Adventurous for several reasons; namely better mpg.  from 10 to 22.  better sleeping accomodations from a pull out sofa to a king size with memory foam mattress9s)...more storage under the coach.  I also like the Sprinter chassis and admire the way it holds up when the big 18 wheelers blow the doors off.  With 30+ gallons and the mpg I can cover a lot of ground between stops.

sandeel said:
... We have purchased a condo in Leisure World in Silver Spring Maryland and will be transitioning our of our 4br house.  I have only been looking at class C RVs until I ran accross this... There is no RV storage in LW but this is a van conversion not really an RV.  So I wouldn't have to pay for storage. 

Check your HOA regulations carefully ... even though you see it as a 'van conversion' you may find that any 'camper' is prohibited by the LW HOA ... not just a function of size/class.

Back
Top Bottom