Towing a Jeep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RREngr

I am picking up my 2000 Cruisemaster today and I will be flat towing a 1990 Jeep behind it. Is there anything I need to know before I try this. The Jeep owner's manual says to put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in high gear.

Anyone towing a Jeep and if so have you had any trouble.

Thanks, Rich

Rich,

I can't speak specifically about a Jeep, although I know a number of folks who tow Jeeps behind a variety of motorhomes with no problems. Genercially speaking, you need to be concerned with:

• The weight of the Jeep being within the calculated towing capacity of the motorhome (not just the rated maximum towing capacity).
  • Adequate tow bar and related safety items.
  • Lights, brake and turn signals on the Jeep that operate when the respective coach lights are operated.
  • Auxiliary braking system to apply the Jeep brakes.
  • Breakaway system that will automatically slow or stop the Jeep in the event that it becomes detatched from the coach.

All of these items have been discussed here numerous times and we also have some related information in our library, but I don't know how much of the information you've seen or read. Let us know if you need help with any specific aspect.

Lot of folks tow jeeps with no problems.  Just follow the instructions in the manual.  Tom has pointed out some important items when towing any vehicle.  We tow a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited behind the Eagle.

I tow a 91 Wrangler with no problems at all.  It is light and the short wheel base is nice.  Mine is an automatic transmission, so I put the gear shift in Park and the transfer case in Neutral.  I then click the key on one click over so the steering wheel doesn't lock.  I just installed Brakepro for the jeep.  It wasn't a big deal without, but I noticed on fast stops that I was putting allot of stress on the RV.  Also, my state requires brakes on anything over 1500 lbs.  Good luck!

I too tow a Wrangler. I have over 40,000 miles in tow. The only suggestion I would have in addition to the good points seen above is to have a regular checklist or process to go thru on heading out to insure that you have the trans/transfer case in the correct position and that the steering wheel is in fact not in the lock postion. Happy toading....

SMI is a company that makes several versions of Toad brakes. I chose a unit that I place under the back seat of my Wrangler. There is a connection to the cold side of the Toad brake switch and a vacuum cylinder attached to the brake as well. The unit under the seat detects that the MH brake has been depressed by sensing the power on the brake light circuit (flat four tow lighting connection) and also sensing that the Toad is decelerating. See their web site for more detail.

I hope this answers your question. :)

I need to look into this aux braking device. We flat tow our '98 Dodge/Cummins(7,000lbs) behind our M/H. Luckily it is pretty flat in MI and we haven't gone far, yet.

dsl4us said:
I need to look into this aux braking device.

Click on the Library button above, select Towing and towables, then click Auxiliary (toad) braking systems.

Hope that helps.

dsl4us said:
I need to look into this aux braking device. We flat tow our '98 Dodge/Cummins(7,000lbs) behind our M/H. Luckily it is pretty flat in MI and we haven't gone far, yet.

Uh, What part of a Glacial Mountain Range (Which describes mose of MI) is flat?  I haven't found it yet and I'ved in MI (on a hill) for oh, 51 years and driven over well over half of the state

John In Detroit said:
Uh, What part of a Glacial Mountain Range (Which describes mose of MI) is flat?? I haven't found it yet and I'ved in MI (on a hill) for oh, 51 years and driven over well over half of the state

Shoot John, Michigan is flat as the proverbial pancake.    Now if you want real hills try Colorado, Utah, Montana, Idaho, and Nevada.  California has got some pretty good hills but they don't let you drive up the big 'uns like Whitney at 14,492.  All you can get to is around 13,000 in the Bristlecone NM.  ;D

John In Detroit said:
Uh, What part of a Glacial Mountain Range (Which describes mose of MI) is flat?? I haven't found it yet and I'ved in MI (on a hill) for oh, 51 years and driven over well over half of the state

Saginaw Valley is VERY flat, and most of the thumb area that I lived in for a while. Some hills on the west side(US10/US131), US23 (Alpena).

Back
Top Bottom