Heads up with Winnie EMS and RVP Basement air fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrontrangeRVer

I just wanted to  provide a heads up that last weekend at a local State Park, only 30 amp service was available (we have a 50 amp system) and during the times when we were running the basement air heatpump, and our Winnie EMS would cut off power to the electric "water heater" first, then the "air conditioner fan speed". 

I assumed it was cutting power to the INSIDE BLOWER fan, but found out that the Winnie EMS was cutting power to the OUSTIDE BLOWER on the basement air/heatpump!!!  :eek:  The compressors were still running, but the outside blower was off.....NOT GOOD.

So now when we are only stuck with 30 amp service, I will not have my water heater switch on, or anything else that will make the amp usage over 30 amps, so the EMS won't cut off the outside blower!  ::)

(Normally, we are plugged into 50 amps, so the EMS supply issues haven't been a problem)

When shedding power due to reduced available maps, the EMS should reduce the inside (the air coming out the ceiling vents) fan speed from HI to LO. It should not be turning ANY of the blowers OFF.  And it should shut down the second compressor before it reduces the fan speed. And there should be no problems running both compressors on 30a as long as you don't also run the microwave or other high demand items.

Mark - you have one fan motor (with two speeds) and two compressors in the packaged RVP unit.  It sounds like something is wired wrong to me.  We have happily run on 30 amp power (with the EMS shedding loads) many times.

And what Paul said!

As john indicated, I also am of the opinion that something is not wired correctly. It should work exactly as Paul indicated.

Compressor #1 or the low inside fan speed are not part of the load shedding system  and never never should the outside fan be part of the load shedding system. You need that to operate at all times with either compressor #1 or #2 as you are well aware now.

I would think that the wiring problem is inside the AC unit. I recently had an "opportunity" to take the EMS control board out and fix it and remembering what wires I encountered there were only two wires for the AC, which were High fan speed and Compressor #2.

Yes, the others are correct, it only should limit the inside fan and then the 2nd compressor if it gets that far.

I do remember when I had to replace my circuit board on my A/C unit (about two years ago) there was a special note from RVP about how Winnie wires the EMS, which is apparently different than some manufactures, but as I recall it was pretty straight forward, but if when they installed it (maybe on a Friday?) someone could have easily grabbed the wrong wire? 

Open up your A/C electrical panned, and it should be pretty obvious which wires got to the Indoor fan and the outdoor fan.  Mine uses a Orange and white wire for the circuit that runs to the EMS for the fan speed, which if I recall correctly was just looped to the EMS controller, and back to the pin on the circuit board.  The board is clearly labeled for each wire.

John

I have a related question.....How long has Winnebago been using an EMS to shed loads?  Would such a system be present on a 2000 Horizon?

I know if goes back to at least the 2001 model year. Maybe someone can get older.

tennsmith said:
I have a related question.....How long has Winnebago been using an EMS to shed loads?  Would such a system be present on a 2000 Horizon?
I had EMS on my 1999 Chieftain.  Look at your control panel, that's where you read the amp draw when on 30 amp service or generator operation...that's where you'll see the 4 leds that show which loads maybe switched off, if any.

Last year, I replaced my RVP control board myself, and I have no clue why at this time, I just now noticed that it was the outside blower being controled by the EMS and not the inside fan speed.  Maybe it's because I have only been hooked up to 50 amp service on our 6,500 mile Summer trips.  On this particular trip, I was hooked up to only 30 amp service and running the heat pumps when I noticed the EMS shedding the outside blower.

As John stated below, Winnie does wire up the control boards differently for some reason, and maybe some wires are not connected right?  ???  I certainly don't remember any labled wires going to the EMS....ugg!

Of course it has been snowing a bit here, and I now have the cover on our unit for the Winter...... ::)

Just thought I would report back.

I called RVP, and told the guy on the phone my problem, and he said Eric would call me back....TWO minutes later, my cell phone was ringing, and it was Eric.  He had me remove the black wire that goes from the relay to the control board (Outside blower fan high), and hook up the large black wire that originally went to the relay directly to the Outside Blower Fan High.......I have no clue if this fixed the problem, as my unit is on our property and covered with only 20 amps service (enough for the charger/converter to charge the batteries), but I wanted people here to know that RVP SUPPORTS the retail customer (unlike Kwikee and others).  Eric did say that there was sometimes a "conflict" between the relay and the outside blower with the new control board I installed last year......

Kudos to RVP! (and Eric there).  Hopefully next Summer, we will see if bypassing the relay directly will fix the EMS shedding the outside fan instead of the inside fan.   :)

I can't say enough good about Eric and RVP.  They helped me troubleshoot a bad replacement board earlier this year.  I do remember that the load shedding circuit was wired to control the relay for the 2nd compressor, and indirectly the high speed side of the condensor (outdoor) fan.  The load shedding feature can be rewired to shed loads in any order, depending on what load is connected to which terminal on the control outputs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom