Can tow car overheat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dryan

Towing a newsaturn vue. It smells hot. It's in "N" with ign fuse pulled.  Is there something that could bewrong ?

The transmission can still get fairly hot, especially if the proper procedure was not followed. Re-read the owner manual section on Recreational Towing to make sure you did it right. The procedure may differ depending on which engine & drive train your Vue has - I know the 2005's with the Honda transmission differed. Not sure about the 2009's.

Also check the transmission fluid to make sure it is still bright red and more-or-less odorless. It should not be brownish or have a "burnt toast" smell.

But some vehicles will always have a hot smell to them - we had a 2004 Chevy Tracker like that. I've heard various explanations for it but the most likely one seems to be that road oils and dirt get on the exhaust and engine undersides and burns off when you start it up after a tow. That wouldn't apply if it smells before you start it, though. You may also get exhaust or oils blown back from the coach onto the toad, if it is a rear engine type (pusher).

Addendum:
I just looked at a 2009 Vue Owner manual and it appears all Vues are towed the same and as you described, as long as the ignition key was in Neutral when you towed.

Back
Top Bottom