Questions about Daylight Saving!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At the bottom of this page is a conversion chart for Whitworth/BSF/Imperial/Metric sizes.

I also recall 'BA' wrenches, but these were specifically for electrical hardware. I still have two sets of BA wrenches, one of which we were required to make in trade school early in our apprenticeship.

We were given a long list of tools and stuff to buy before starting the apprenticeship, and were told we'd be provided with a toolbox and some other stuff. On my first day I had to ask where they were, and was given a sheet of aluminum and some flat steel stock, and told to make them.

BernieD said:
Tom

Native American Nation land might be considered not "Arizona" since it has it's own laws, enforcement and customs. The AZ state legislature does not rule. I, and most Arizonans, are not Native Americans or others living on Indian land, so I don't think that the nit is really relative.

With logic like that you would make a great politician.

Tom........That looks more like "Father Christmas" on a motorcycle to me!!! ;D

Mariekie

Aye, it could be Father Christmas if he was riding Bill's Norton  ;D

mariekie said:
::)Don........Don't get me started on the metric system. I can not for the life of me understand why the US can be so obstinate about it!!
In fact, after living here in the States for almost 30 years, I still rant and rave about it to my poor husband.

Mariekie

Wine and booze are metric... let the mechanics and engineers take care of the rest.  LOL

Maybe before I trim my beard to retail standards I'll borrow my Dads suit and get a picture riding each of my motorcyles, (in succession, not same time).

When we were in England in year 2000, they were still using MPH in their cars. Seems England only half changed to metric, while Canada changed totally. Perhaps not changing at all is better than what they did in England. BTW, is it still that way and what's their problem with them converting to KM?

BTW,  now I know to white down and remember my RV height in meters. We went under several underpasses in Canada that said "clearance 4.4 M". While I was sure that gave enough room, I might not have time to convert in my head at 110 KPH if it said  something like 3.4M clearance.

-Don- Reno, NV​

Don't hold your breath Don. The Brits going to metres instead of miles is about as likely as them changing from driving on the left to driving on the right  ;)

Tom said:
To keep this discussion on topic (beards, Santas, motorcycles, and daylight), here's a photo of a Santa who visited local restaurants in our prior town after dark. He'd ride up on his decorated motorcycle, towing a trailer complete with a lit Christmas tree, and he'd hand out gifts to the kids.
Not that I would like to be blamed for thread drift but would love to know more about this guy. That is a great set up there. And you say the tree was fully lit too? Wow! So much fun.

PS: What was the town? Maybe my Santa Forums will be able to help track him down.

My family use a mix of metric and imperial. I was brought up on metric by my school teachers and feet & inches by mum & dad.

My brother loves to use the word Sesquipadalian which he tells me is "about a foot and a half" (foot 'n alf)

Just come back from a quick trip to the Alps with the said brother so I'm full of useful/less(?) information.

Although we only travel at 60mph or a mile a minute, the distances pass far quicker in France as our heads are used to looking at the sign post seeing for example 90 miles to london and translating that to a travel time of 90 minutes. BUT it only takes 55 minutes to travel 90km  :eek:  ;) >It's a great feeling seeing the distance disapearing so much faster  :D

PancakeBill said:
Maybe before I trim my beard to retail standards I'll borrow my Dad's suit and get a picture riding each of my motorcyles, (in succession, not same time).
Please share with your Dad that some of the better Santa Forums would be the International Order of Santas - http://iosantas.com/ (I'm a Charter member) and ClausNet  http://www.clausnet.com/

Would be very happy to see him drop by and share stories.

Tom said:
The Brits going to metres instead of miles is about as likely as them changing from driving on the left to driving on the right  ;)

Why are they sticking with miles? From my short trip in Canada, I am already totally used to KM.

BTW, I heard one country really did switch driving from the left side to right. They just picked a date and time and it went smoothly. But I forgot which country that was.

-Don- Reno, NV​

Samoa just did it in early September.  Others have done it in the past, but it didn't always go smoothly :D

[quote author=DonTom]I heard one country really did switch driving from the left side to right.[/quote]

IIRC that was Sweden. Yep, just confirmed it here. Reading that WiKi, it seems that Burma also changed.

They just picked a date and time and it went smoothly.

I can imagine having all the new road signs in a small country put up ahead of time and covered, then uncovered on the day. But, almost all the cars would be wrong-side drive, which could be a potential hazard. Yeah, yeah, I know - Brits drive wrong-side cars on the continent all the time, and vice versa. But, having crossed the Atlantic many times over more than 35 years, I can tell you from experience that it's easy to end up on the wrong side of the road facing oncoming traffic even with correct-side cars.

There are, of course, many other countries that drive on the left. Can you imagine if Tom's birthplace decided to switch? I wouldn't want to be there that day.

[quote author=Ian]What was the town?[/quote]

That would be Livermore, CA. In addition to the lights, he also had Christmas carols being played. IIRC he had a generator in the trailer to power everything. This guy was really into the spirit.

Andy,

Would that be sesquipedalian? From the Free Online Dictionary:

n. A long word.

adj.
1. Given to or characterized by the use of long words.
2. Long and ponderous; polysyllabic.

Try using that word down in the valleys and they'll think you're a foreigner.

Keeping this on topic, since we're talking about daylight saving and Brits, the UK doesn't have daylight savings, but instead has British Summer Time. That would be, if you're lucky, a couple of weeks some time between the end of June and the end of September. The clocks are changed forward and back some time before and after this window, in anticipation (hope) that summer will arrive. But the actual date is a craps shoot.

Back in the 70's energy crisis Block Island RI went on DST all year.  It was a little controversial at the time.  The plan was to not have to use as much electric in the evening.  Of course the results were vague. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom