What's diff Itasca v. Winnebago?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the 70s GM built the Itasca. They decided to have Winnebago build it for them and then eventually sold out to Winnebago. They kept the line going because there was so many loyal Itasca customers who would not have switched to Winnebago necessarily if they would have discontinued the line. They are built side by side at the plant in Forest City Iowa. Not much difference between them nowadays, slightly different floor plans and slightly different options.

I usually try search. But forum search engines leave something to be desired, and I figured other newbies have the same question. Understand the hassle factor.

FWIW I installed a new (different) forum search engine recently, and it does a decent job and is reasonably fast. I'll be installing an update with improved features, hopefully in the not to distant future. Some folks complained about the Google search, but I left both there to provide a choice. Different strokes for different folks.

Oldedit said:
I'm assuming Itasca is a bit upscale like Lincoln v. Mercury?

Actually, no -- more like GMC and Chevy.

Was told by a rental dealer I worked with that had visited the plant that they are made on the same assembly line. Each of each is followed by the other. Up until they start finishing the trim and such, they are exactly the same.

Was also told the strategy is like auto dealerships in that having two brands of the same thing (GMC and Chevy) allows them to have dealerships closer together. But that was when sales were much better.  :)

Actually it depends on the model year and the particular model as to the differences.  The Vectra vs. Horizon for example:  the Horizon had many standard features that were optional on the Vectra.  The Horizon had some features that weren't available on the Vectra at the time, i.e., hidden cabinet hinges.  As time goes by, features on high-end coaches get pushed farther down the model line.

Bob is correct - they all roll down one of three assembly lines in 'Big Bertha' (the giant factory.)

Back
Top Bottom