4 button dual therm comfort control thermostat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave Stringham

Tehachapi Calif or probably lost somewhere
My temp down button doesnt like to work.  I am told that the 4 button control is obsolete and you have to buy the 5 button control.  The down side is you also need to buy a computer board for each a/c unit (about $100 per) so it will function with the new 5 button thermostat.  Does anyone have any experience repairing the 4 button unit?  I checked in the library.....I didnt see anything

thanks

dave

You may be able to fix the springs in the thermostat, but it will only be temporary.  Our Comfort Center got to the point where it was almost impossible to change the temperature, so we just last week replaced the system with the 5 button Comfort Center and the two control boards.  Total cost installed was $567.

FMCA had an article on how to fix the springs, but I don't have a URL for it.  A search of their magazine back issues may turn it up.

Thanks Ned

I tried looking for the fmca article but its too old for their site to pull up, over 2 years.  I know the fix may be temporary but I am just not ready right now to kick out $600 for a thermostat.  I did find another explanation of the fix and am going to give it a whirl

dave

Let me know how it works out.  I still have the old 4 button unit and controls and if I can fix the thermostat, I may try to sell the system to someone that needs a replacement.

I do like the new 5 button unit much better.  The buttons have very good positive feedback that the 4 button one did not.

Dave, thanks, got it.  I've looked at those spring contacts and they are small.  You need better eyes than mine to work on them :)  Maybe after I get my cataracts removed I'll give it a try.

Dave

A search of FMCA articles had 2 pages of results going back to 2002 here. Didn't have time to read all the articles, some seemed on subject, others not. Happy hunting.

Got a friend of mine with much better eye sight than I have perform the fix on the thermostat.  He found that the little prongs were not pushed down as per the typical complaint but that the prongs were corroded.  He got a finger nail file thingie from his wifes finger nail set and cleaned them up.  They are waaaay down inside the little plastic box that everything sits in and the tool worked dandy.  

Just a suggestion that you may want to try before kicking out $600 for the new system.  

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom