Adventurer 33V now or Journey 32T later?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcewena

We've sort of narrowed down the models that work for us to between the various winny brands that offer a 33V and the Journey/Meridan 32T, of course the prices for a 3-5 year old gasser are less then a 3-5 year old DP so we're trying to decide if they're worth the wait for us or if it's overkill.  We could probably swing the gas unit now, the DP would have to wait for the mortgage to be paid off... (2-3 years).

2 people, 5-6 weeks a year but we're hoping to keep it 10+ years.

Comfy seats and engine far away would be nice, haven't driven either yet so I'm only assuming the Journey will have the nicer ride.

Our current car (which we'd like to keep) can't be towed so it on an open trailer would be right on the 5K capacity of the gas unit...

RV Roamer said:
Tough call. Can you wait that long? I couldn't, once I got the bug...

Oh we can always put things off,  we're past champions in procrastination ;) 

but then I could get hit by a bus tomorrow....

I've been very happy with the two gas motorhomes we've had.  Sure wouldn't have wanted to miss all the traveling we have done.  We've been traveling in a motorhome for 6 years now, about 80,000 miles we wouldn't have traveled if we waited to buy a diesel.  I was planning on getting a diesel, but have now just about talked myself out of it.  Can do a lot of traveling on the difference in cost.

I would recommend taking them both out for a long test drive and that will probably help you with your decision. If you really don't want to wait then you may not want to test drive the journey. We were leaning toward a diesel as well but when we compared what you get for the price we got the gasser with no regrets. We have put over 7000 miles on it this year and got to travel 16 states that we wouldn't have had we waited. Hard call, life's short.  ;)

We'll I had a 36 ft Ford V-10 Pace Arrow and it was nice. But then I drove a 38 ft Journey Diesel Pusher and there was no comparison of the two. I like the air ride on the Journey and the comfort of the engine being in the back. Don't get me wrong the Pace Arrow is nice but the difference between a DP and a Gas is two different worlds.

I would advise against driving the Journey...unless you want to buy it!  Advice we got when we were looking was "buy your last motorhome first".  It is a lot cheaper that way.  We've had our Meridian for 3 years, now, and no regrets!

Two things, first look at the long term cost of the 32T versus the 33V gaser.  Unless you plan a lot of mountain driving I don't think the cost of maintaining the diesel will be worth it. Second, and just my personal opinion, when we looked at the 32T floor plan just didn't work for us. One of us would have to sit at the dinette all the time. Even on short rainy weekend that wouldn't work. The 33V gives you many more sitting options.   

The 33V floorplan would win for me.  I agree with Indyitasca, not having the recliner/chair, just the dinette as a 2nd seating option would make the 32 journey my 2nd choice.
However you posted in another forum that the 34H journey would work also.  That is what I have and can assure it is a very comfortable floorplan.  So if you do decide the diesel route I would bypass the 32 and head straight to the 34. But to each his own.
Check the rated hitch capacity.  You will be at the limit, or over it if it has only the 3500# capacity.
My journey is rated at 10,000# towing capacity.  Big difference.

I agree with THutch 100% and indy itasca also, so suggest you look at the 34 foot Journey. We bought a gas unit in 2005 and have wished ever since we had bought the diesel. We will buy our diesel in a few short years at retirement time.

RCtime said:
The 33V floorplan would win for me.  I agree with Indyitasca, not having the recliner/chair, just the dinette as a 2nd seating option would make the 32 journey my 2nd choice.
However you posted in another forum that the 34H journey would work also.  That is what I have and can assure it is a very comfortable floorplan.  So if you do decide the diesel route I would bypass the 32 and head straight to the 34. But to each his own.
Check the rated hitch capacity.  You will be at the limit, or over it if it has only the 3500# capacity.
My journey is rated at 10,000# towing capacity.  Big difference.

Yes a 34H would also work but of course that only delays things further as they're that much more expensive.  Not sure I understand the seating restriction with the 32T, you've also got the pilot/copilot seats as mini recliners right?     The biggest stumbling block with the 32T is that the sofa is right against the range with only a small splash guard.  I'm figuring it's going to get cooking splatter on it.  

33V has a hitch capacity of 5000# and I would use it all up with my car/trailer so that's a worry.

Oil changes cost more with the diesel, what more am I missing from a maintenance standpoint?

mcewena said:
Not sure I understand the seating restriction with the 32T, you've also got the pilot/copilot seats as mini recliners right?    

Not sure where the TV is arranged in the 32T but if it is above the front seats then you won't be able to see it from the recliners. The dinette is not necessarily comfortable seating if you want to relax and watch TV at least imo. In our 33V you can't fully recline the recliner unless you disconnect it from the floor and pull it out. We resorted to just turning the front passenger seat to use as a foot stool, easier & faster that way.

Oil changes cost more with the diesel, what more am I missing from a maintenance standpoint?

Lots more filters and expensive ones besides. Air filter maybe $100. Hydraulic filter, a fuel filter that needs regular replacement (at least annually) and a water separator too. Coolant additives annually, transmission service is more expensive, possibly an air drier (if equipped), etc. etc.  Not a deal breaker, but many people get shell shocked with the high cost of maintenance on a diesel chassis. $1000/year is not out of line if you pay others to do all of it for you. A gas chassis can get by on $100 or so.

RV Roamer said:
$1000/year is not out of line if you pay others to do all of it for you. A gas chassis can get by on $100 or so.

That's a good figure.  We spend about $500 each year for genny/engine routine service, then every other year or so major chassis/engine maintenance (M3 Freightliner service)is ~$1400.

mcewena said:
33V has a hitch capacity of 5000# and I would use it all up with my car/trailer so that's a worry.

The dealer says the hitch on the adventurer can be upgraded so I'm wondering if the chassis can handle that?  The unit I'm looking at is a repo but is very clean for an '03 and has had a suspension upgrade (looks like a big rear anti swaybar).  I want to look at a 35U 2 hours down the road first

mcewena said:
The dealer says the hitch on the adventurer can be upgraded so I'm wondering if the chassis can handle that?   The unit I'm looking at is a repo but is very clean for an '03 and has had a suspension upgrade (looks like a big rear anti swaybar).  I want to look at a 35U 2 hours down the road first

I am not sure what chassis the 33V you are looking at is sitting on but we have the W22 with the GCWR being at 26000#'s which leaves you with 4000#'s. Keep us updated on what you come up with, good luck!

Dar said:
I am not sure what chassis the 33V you are looking at is sitting on but we have the W22 with the GCWR being at 26000#'s which leaves you with 4000#'s. Keep us updated on what you come up with, good luck!

Workhorse for this one too so likely I can't tow my Volvo awd, nor my '97 Subaru...  neither can be dolly towed and both are too heavy for a trailer and this unit :(

You didn't say how much you are willing to spend on this new chapter in your life but there are some screamin' deals out there right now.  Some are saying that the RV market is starting to recover but there are still lots of people who need to sell fairly new coaches with gas or diesel engines.  Sometimes the only ad is on the internet and the price quoted is not the price they will actually accept, especially if you have cash.  The auctions on Ebay, while risky in some ways, demonstrate that a 2004 or newer 35-40 ft DP with 40,000 miles or more can be purchased for less than $50K.  Who knows when or if the prices these days will "recover" or still have room to decline further but, like others have mentioned, go for it...  Good Luck. G.

check out:
http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?Length=Over%252035ft&Type=Motorized&Motorized%2520Sub%2520Type=Class%2520A&Fuel%2520Type=Diesel&LH_TitleDesc=1&LH_PrefLoc=1&Make=Fleetwood&_nkw=diesel%20motorhome&_dmpt=RVs_Campers&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

taoshum said:
You didn't say how much you are willing to spend on this new chapter in your life but there are some screamin' deals out there right now.

$50-70kCDN would be comfortable and I can find good gassers for that, DPs that I like seem to be $70-90k which we'd have to wait until the mortgage is gone before we'd be comfortable.  The other issue is I'd like to stay under 36ft, partly because we don't need too big a rig but mostly so it could be parked (at least part time) in my driveway. 

This is the unit that's got my cheque book out of the drawer: http://www.kingstonrv.com/2003%20Winnebago%20Adventurer%2033V.htm
It's a year or 2 older then I'd like but it's very clean inside and out, and has had some sort of suspension upgrade along with 6 new tires.  It's a bank repo and the dealer's already taken it through the Canadian import process (unlike most of the ebay units).  I haven't looked at the chassis VIN to see what recalls apply to it, but if it's gone through the import process any outstanding ones would have to be resolved. 

Campingworld Syracuse has a 35U for $50kUS but with the exchange and import it will be about the same price. 

The other stumbling block is that due to bad luck or judgement none of my cars are towable even on a dolly so I'd have to trade (and of course lose money) and/or buy a fairly pricey aluminum trailer to keep the weight down.

Mcewena....................That Adventurer is almost a duplicate to what we had. I was sad to part with ours, but Hubby decided to upgrade to a 35' Journey DP and I have to say I am just as happy with our Journey. By the way, our Adventurer was absolutely trouble free.

You made a sensible choice and before you know it, the time is there for your upgrade. Good luck and happy travels.

Mariekie

Back
Top Bottom