Satelite Antenna for my 5th Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weswhitt

I am wanting to add a satellite system of some kind to my 5th Wheel.  This is my first camper and we use it once or twice a month on weekends.  What suggestions would you all have for an inexpensive system that works good?

I assume you're talking about satellite TV. A little more information will help. Do you have a satellite system in your house or are you going to get a system just for the RV? Do you want HDTV or just SD? Do you have more than one TV in the RV? Do you want an automatic system, or will a manual or tripod mount work for you? Do you have a preference for Dish Network or Direct TV?

I sometimes do a long post on the differences in sat systems but I'll keep it short here

Dish advertises "The lowest price" and they do have the most channels, but.. They seem to be related to KOA (Keep On Adding) and often that lowest price, by the time they are done, is higher than Direc, and who needs 1,000+ Channels?

Second, do not get a house account and use the spare receiver in your RV.. Do it the other way around. (Get an RV account and use the spare receiver in your house)

Now.  there are 4 grades of service in the US  not counting "Free to Air" which really is not that great a deal for Rvers (You won't get NBC, CBS, and so on)

DirecTV (Normal, not high def) Easiest antenna to point, however aiming software not that great
DISH (normal) Best pointing software out there, but you need to hit 2 birds, which means you have one more setting and lots of folks have issues understanding how to aim.> It really is easy.
Dish HDTV Two different antennas depending on where you are parked, 3 birds each.  Truly no harder to aim

DirecHDTV.. Special antenna, 2 bands, very critical on pointing but once you get used to it should not be an issue

Network TV (ABC, CBS and so on) if you are close to home you get local stations, but with very few exceptions if you are "Out and about" you won't be able to get 'em.. You need DISTANT NETWORK SERVICE, which of course, costs money,, Direc offeres that on your regular bill, With Dish you contract with a 3rd party provider, prices about the same for both.. NOTE: THIS is the reason I said "Get an RV account"

Getting an RV account may take 10 or 20 calls to Direc, the idiot clerks do not understand and keep transfering you to KVH.. Tell 'em if they do that you are calling DISH and perhaps you can avoid making as many calls as I had to make.

Finally the install.. Now, folks tell you to use the park-cable for sat, and tell you how to do it

Forget that. Run a nice new RG-6, (and quality cable) to a basement or bulkhead connector,  And forget the existing cable.  If you have one TV in the trailer hook up is as per the Sat-Receiver manual  If you have more.. Ask and I'll tell you how to do it and keep the option of using park cable.

I would like to have basic cable with ABC, CBS and NBC.  HD is not a must.  I have 3 TV connections in the trailer.  I am wanting the least expensive system which I assume would be the manual tripod system.  Please Advise.

Both, Dish Network and Direct TV will install a system for you, free of charge, with a two year contract and prices will be very close between the two. Go to their websites and look at the programing packages and decide which is best for you. Dish Network has a new plan called Flex TV, where you buy the equipment upfront and then pay for service only when you want it. You might want to check that out because you wouldn't have to pay for service when you're not using the RV.

To get a system installed in an RV it's usually better to contact a local retailer, rather than calling Dish or Direct directly. You can usually find local installers for your area in the yellow pages.

Local stations supply the ABC, CBS, and NBC feeds and those are usually spot beamed, meaning once you move away from your home area you will not be able to receive them. Because of this, RV's qualify for Distant Networks, which means you can get nationwide network feeds that you can receive anywhere in the country. Both companies supply Distant Networks for an additional fee, however Dish Network dosen't supply them directly, they supply them through a third party.

I personally like Dish Network for the RV because of their dual tuner receivers. With their receivers, one receiver is used to supply separate programing to two TV's. I have the receiver setup in the main living room of my fifth wheel and it supplies a signal to that TV and also the bedroom TV. I can watch different stations on the two TV's and all that's needed is a coax between the two, no receiver in the bedroom.

A tripod system will be the cheapest way to go and with a little practice it's not a big problem. I like a portable mount because you don't have to worry about parking under trees. Here's some information that will help you with dish alignment.

Good luck

Our family uses Direct TV in our fifth wheel...mobile account...When we do go 'home' to our sticks and bricks house to visit the kids, we just move the receiver in the house if we want.
We purchased our own Direct TV equipment--receivers, DVR, satellite dish, etc.... at Best Buy years ago...never leased from DirectTV nor had a contract. Just pay month to month..Also have never had a problem with the equipment itself, other than my wife constantly misplacing the remote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Setting up the receivers to your tv/stereo is very simple and after a little practice, getting your satellite dish 'aimed' just right is a couple of minute job.

In our 5er we have: DVR (tivo and LOVE IT) receiver in main salon and standard receiver in Bedroom.  I use an x=10 wireless video/audio transmitter/receiver for a portable 26" LCD that we store, but can take outside if we wish to watch a game, DVD or regular satellite..whatever. It sends the signal from the living room equipment wirelessly to about 100'..crystal clear video and stereo sound...without wires (except for power of course). Much easier than a THIRD receiver (which you pay another $5.00 per month) and no cables/coax running all over the place.
My living room DVR has 2 coax inputs for dual recording/watching...I ran the second coax to the entertainment area from the satellite cable inputs outside the rig. I also ran a dedicated satellite coax to the bedroom receiver.
Have DNS service with DirectABC, NBC, CNS, FOX ( I believe $14.00 per month for DNS)..also paid extra ($2.50 per month) for the PBS national feed, but I think I'll drop that....
With the national DNS feeds I love recording favorite shows on EASTERN time zone (we are usually in Pacific or Mountain time zones) and watch at my convenience or just catch it at regular West coast time if we're in the rig or the next day..whenever you want.
As far as dish set up is concerned....I mounted 3 bolts to the skirt of my 5er, with removable wing nuts...on each side in the rear of trailer...the bolt holes match the wall mounting bracket for my satellite pole/post. The dish is about 4 feet off the ground..and haven't walked into it yet!
If I have a clear shot of the Southern sky from one  side of the trailer or the other, which is almost always, I just mount the bracket to the bolts , tighten down the wing nuts and slide the dish on the post.
A few minutes of aiming and voila....satellite signal. Since the trailer wall is always level, the post ends up level and all I do is swing the antenna around to the correct elevation/angle. No tripod to level, anchor, no milk bottles or ties.....and no shake. If, in some rare instances, I have trees or tightly packed park where my neighbors coach blocks my reception, I can use a tripod. It works for me.
If you wish a photo of this simple bolt on installation, email me and I'll send.
You also can check out the VuCube and/or the new Winegard Portable enclosed dishes...They each have their own issues with number of receivers you can use and how they are powered..plus I think they are pricey and can be stolen easily.

John From Detroit said:
Getting an RV account may take 10 or 20 calls to Direc, the idiot clerks do not understand and keep transfering you to KVH.. Tell 'em if they do that you are calling DISH and perhaps you can avoid making as many calls as I had to make.
Why would you bother calling either service for DNS when the RV Waiver can be downloaded from the Internet and faxed to the appropriate company???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom