Tire Monitors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donpop

My Fifth Wheel has LT235/85R E tires and in addition I usually have a second trailer on behind with two 4-wheelers or one 4-wheeler and a lawn mower.  I hit something on the road and lost a tire on the trailer but didn't find it until miles later.  At shop now with $1500 damage.  I am going to put new tires on trailer and am thinking about installing a monitoring system.  Contacted both Smartire and Doran Pressurepro.  Smartire said they have no monitor for E rated tire.  Would be interested in hearing from you folks who have Pressurepro.  Thanks

Well, first, expect a reply from Bernie, and he is the man to buy Pressure Pro from.. I did.

I have a 2005 Damon Intruder 377 pulling a '92, Chevy Lumina APV. haven't lost a tire since hooking them up however I have had a few slow leaks.. Hazard of my employmet is that from time to time I get "Screwed" and then I have to go to the tire store and have them remove said screw from the tire and put a plug in.

Now,,, If the tire is the front, passenger I, all too often, miss it and don't realize it's leaking till... Well... Too late

The pressure pro found it very quicklly and got it repaired before the tire was toast

They will work on any tire, far as I know... I suspect there is a limit to pressure, (Possibley 150 lbs or so) but with my rig top tire pressure is about 100 lbs so that is not a problem,,, They also work on the 27 lb towed tires, and the system can be transfered from the MH to the Towed and back so easily it's ,,, Well, plug and play.  It can be "Restricted" to either "Front" or "Back" (Towed or towing) or monitor both (This is useful if you are not hooked together)  All radio, only one wire, (Power to the computer) power consumption is... Very slight.

Features:  Instlation: Put computer in "Setup" mode and note which wheel is flashing, install sensor on that tire, When the pressure registers press "SET" till it moves to the next location.. If there is no tire there (IE: the computer is designed for a dual rear axel on the towing vehicle, I don't have but one, and 3 axels on the towed (I have two) use the up/down arrows to move to the next existing tire.  Install next sensor, wait, press set, and so on till you are done.  Press ON to finish once you have all the sensors installed

Operation: "Base" pressure is set for each tire indivigually at the time of instalation, to re-set it remove sensor for at least one minute and re-install, it will auto re-set at the new "Base" pressure, alarms sound when pressure drops 10% from the base, and again every 1 lb after that.  Sensors send pressure to the moitor about once every five minutes or when they sense a drop of 10%

Normal operation,  If it beeps push ON and note which tire is flashing,,, also note the pressure reading displayed. correct pressure loss ASAP  If pressure is ZERO pull over and change flat.

Normal operation: To read pressure press ON then use UP/DOWN to move tire to tire.. NOTE, yes you can read the tire pressure while doing 70MPH down the freeway but please.... Have your co-pilot do that.. Easier on the fenders

NO OFF SWITCH.. If you must turn off (Example alarm sounds in the middle of the night when you are parked) pull power cord (Standard USB cord by the way)

Special requirement: If tires are rotated please have technician remove sensors and replace in the same position, (IE: Rear outer stays rear outer) not move them with the tire

BIG ADVANTAGE:  This system monitors both towed and towing vehicle if you set it up that way... I know of no other system that does both rides

Disadvantage? Batteries are "Factory installed" in sensors.  Can not be replaced, you must return sensor for replacement (I think replacement due to dead battery is about 10 bucks, new they are 50 each)

John

>>BIG ADVANTAGE:? This system monitors both towed and towing vehicle if you set it up that way... I know of no other system that does both rides<<

SmartTire does...Have no idea why it won't do E tires as it monitors both my 12R motorhome with the high pressure sensors & P245/65R17 toad tires with the low pressure sensors...it can handle up to 20 tire locations. Check out www.Smartire.com

Terry
At Yuma, AZ

The PressurePro certainly will work - I have them on my Chevy Tracker as well as my motorhome. The Tracker uses C rated tires at 28 psi.

And I don't see how an "E" rating matters anyway - it's the tire pressure that is important. In some systems, different sensors are used depending on the range of pressures involved, but that's merely a matter of choosing the right sensor for the tire.

Terry A. Brewer said:
John

>>BIG ADVANTAGE:  This system monitors both towed and towing vehicle if you set it up that way... I know of no other system that does both rides<<

SmartTire does...Have no idea why it won't do E tires as it monitors both my 12R motorhome with the high pressure sensors & P245/65R17 toad tires with the low pressure sensors...it can handle up to 20 tire locations. Check out www.Smartire.com

Checked out the web page and I think I still like the Pressure Pro better, even though the smart tire has the advantage of temperture monitoring as well (Can detect a dragging brake, which would have been to my advantage a couple of times)

Major differences seems to be as follows

Feature        Pressure pro      Smart tire
Mounting      Valve stem      Straped to rim (requires removal of tire)
Temperture      No                Yes
Move from      Easy                Not so easy
coach to towed

That is to say to move the PP receiver from the motor home to the towed all I do is pull it off the dash (Velcro mount) and plug it in the towed,  Press the F/B button a time or two and it's all good again

Re-instalation in the MH is the same proecdure,  slap it against the velcro, plug in and push the button till all the tires light up

The Smart tire appears to have a seperated receiver and display which are mounted with tools, not velcro.

Now, as to why it might not work with "E" tires... Without seeing the tire and rim I can not say but it does appear that the Smart Tire mounts INSIDE the tire, straped to the rim and it may be that the "E" tire does not have enough room for the sensor to mount in this way... Pressure Pros on the other hand mount to the valve stem, no such problem

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom