Weight question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamdude04

I'm planning to restore a 69-99 travel trailer. I'm looking for one on craigslist for $500-1,000. $1,000 is my max..so odds are I'll be getting a old beater  :D

About how much do these things weigh? I'm trying to go for a 12-18ft.. I got two trucks, gas powered, tho I'm getting an oil burner in 6-12month so weight really wont be an issue for the most part, except the tiems I want to take my Bronco on the trip for some offroad fun (will be used to tow the camper from time to time)

Thanks!

12 to 18 feet?  Likely to have a UVW of 2000-2500 lbs and a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of around 3500 lbs which is the number to use in calculating truck suitablity.

The big Broncos  with a V8 will tow GVWRs of up to 5400 lbs in the mountain and Pacific west.  Do it myself out here in Southern CA -- read my signature lines.

Carl L said:
12 to 18 feet?   Likely to have a UVW of 2000-2500 lbs and a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of around 3500 lbs which is the number to use in calculating truck suitablity.

The big Broncos  with a V8 will tow GVWRs of up to 5400 lbs in the mountain and Pacific west.   Do it myself out here in Southern CA -- read my signature lines.

Hmm that's about the range I was thinking.  That shouldn't be a problem. Though I have a 5.0 v8 in my Bronco now with 308k miles on it. 8k miles ago, I towed a 6x12' enclosed trailer that rated around 4k lbs and it struggled (35mph max up a mountain grade, floored at 4k rpm) and warped my brakes. Sence then I've upgraded the brake system, and currently have a supercharged 302v8 modified being built and ready to throw into the Bronco. Ontop of that, I got a Nissan Titan rated to tow 9500lbs.. tho not as fun offroad as the Bronco  ;D

With a small V-8 like the 5.0 in my hood, you gotta use the gears.  I have done an lot of grades out here in the West at 35 mph in 1st and 3500-4000 rpm in the snail lane but with lots of Class C and A company and nobody doing much passing.  However, my Bronc only has 94K on the odometer.

Brakes?  Well I follow the rule of going down the hilll in the same gear you go up it in.

Carl, though the same gear down as up rule is a good one

How about the many "Hills" I"ve been over where going up it's a nice gentel 2 or 3 percent.. and going down is 5-7. (or the other way around returning)

John From Detroit said:
How about the many "Hills" I"ve been over where going up it's a nice gentel 2 or 3 percent.. and going down is 5-7. (or the other way around returning)

??? Then it's not exactly the same hill, is it?

must be some more of that new math.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom