rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: 2 Tire questions  (Read 11801 times)

lewis.34

• ---
2 Tire questions
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:46:58 AM »
I have 2 questions concerning tires for my TT. 1st I am buying a new set of tires for our new to us TT. Has anyone had experience withTurnpike tires? The ones I am looking are 205 75 15 10ply Trailer tires. My dealer said they are good tires but I wanted to check with the "experts". :D
2nd the new TT did not come with a spare tire and no mount for it. The only outside storage is in the rear. The tire would fit but I would have to remove the other"supplies" stored there. Any other suggestions as to where to store the spare? Thanks
Wayne & Cindy Lewis
Jackson, Ohio
2004 Silverado 2500HD
2013 Lacrosse 329BHT

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
Re: 2 Tire questions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:10:34 AM »
There are several places to hide a spare tire.. In some cases it bolts to the bottom of the propane tray (NOTE: in some cases) however it's got to fit.

Frankly.. Unless you run heavy,  You might consider not wasting the gas to haul one.

Or, you can do what I did. Carry the spare inside and chain it to the tong when parked.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:28:32 PM »
I would not run a trailer without a spare - those 15" trailer tires seem far more prone to failure than the larger ones on motorhomes.  Maybe you can find a place to mount it underneath the trailer? Or on the back bumper, if it has one?

Never heard of Turnpike tires - can't help you there. Are you in North Carolina, by any chance? Parrish Tire has a private label brand called Turnpike USA, but they list only medium duty truck tires, which are  all 19.5" and larger. These tires are made by Continental for Parrish and I would not be afraid of a Continental product.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

rbell

• ---
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 04:59:48 AM »
A lot of trailers use a mount on the rear bumper like this. There are also some available that go on the tongue. My first trailer was a Trailmanor which had a rack that held the spare underneath on the frame. Although it got the tire out of the way it was a pain to get off. Also it got really dirty from road slop. It was a clever way to store a tire though.

I've never heard of Turnpike tires. It seems that just about all trailer tires are coming from China right now. Goodyear has moved their Marathon production back to the USA from China. But some places don't have them yet. My present trailer came with Duro tires. All 5 had to be replaced in just less than 2 years because of cracks & weather checking. So I'd stay away from them.  When trailer tires blow out or fail they can do a lot of damage to the trailer before you get stopped.
Right now it seems Maxxis has the best reputation going for trailer tires.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 05:04:12 AM by rbell »
Dick
2012 150 Ecoboost
2012 KZ Spree 323CSS

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 11:13:27 AM »
If the roof is strong enough and you have access, could you carry the tire on the roof? 

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

joelmyer

• ---
  • Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA
    • The Retirement Saga
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 07:00:20 AM »
I've gotten less than three years out of the original ('04) marathons and the second set of marathons ('07). 

After a lot of on-line research I bought Maxxis. 

Don't leave home without a spare.  Tires don't fail at home - If you have to buy one from on the side of the road it will be expensive.

I tried a Google search on "Turnpike Tires" and found only one reference - that they are a private brand made by General Tire.

Joel
Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA

ffstreetdoc

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 09:34:54 PM »
i just went thru the whole tire choice dilema, i went with maxxis after lots of research and 3 premature failures on carlisle tires, 2000 miles in the south summer heat with no problems on the maxxis 8008....

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 10:49:18 PM »
Any other suggestions as to where to store the spare? Thanks

My 96 Fleetwood Prowler mounts the tire beneath the trailer just behind the A-frame on a mini whinch-up device. It is tucked in behind a frame cross member.  Works pretty well.
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

lewis.34

• ---
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 01:26:17 PM »
Here's what I decided to do. I am replacing the 205-75-15 with Carlisle sport trail 225-75-15. This raises the tire load rating from 1820#/tire to 2540#/tire. The camper weighs a little over 7000#. Not counting the weight carried on the hitch this would put about 1750# on each tire well below the tire rating. This should make the tires run cooler and last longer ( I hope). Thanks for everones input!!
Wayne & Cindy Lewis
Jackson, Ohio
2004 Silverado 2500HD
2013 Lacrosse 329BHT

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 08:34:44 PM »
Sounds like a good tire choice. Good luck with it!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

ffstreetdoc

• ---
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 05:11:58 PM »
Here's what I decided to do. I am replacing the 205-75-15 with Carlisle sport trail 225-75-15. This raises the tire load rating from 1820#/tire to 2540#/tire. The camper weighs a little over 7000#. Not counting the weight carried on the hitch this would put about 1750# on each tire well below the tire rating. This should make the tires run cooler and last longer ( I hope). Thanks for everones input!!
\

DONT DO IT
i had the exact tires on our fiver, they lasted less than 1000 miles, check the forums and you will fine one horror story after another involving carlisle tires!!!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 09:57:15 PM »
It is true that Carlisles do not have a great reputation - that same size but in another brand might be a better choice.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 08:27:31 PM »
Marsha:

>could you carry the tire on the roof<

I would think that would only be practical if there were already a roof rack of some sort so that the tire could be firmly tied down.  Having it bounce off at highway speeds could be catastrophic.

lewis.34:

We carry our spare in the back of the pickup as I have no other place for it.

Our trailer came with a bracket for mounting it on the rear bumper, and I still use that if we will be away for two weeks or more.  These are available from most RV shops.  We garage our small 5th when at home, however, and it just barely fits.  I have to take the rack off to get it in the garage.

Frank.
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

Sunline05

• ---
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 07:34:34 PM »
I spent several hours researching tires in various RV forums in June of this year and Maxxis seemed to be the clear winner. I read a lot of horror stories about Carlisle and Goodyear Marathons.

I found a nearby Maxxis distributor from www.maxxis.com and he directed me to a local independent dealer. I got set up for $353.22 out the door for all 4, ST205/75R-15 blackwall, tire price was $78.33 each; date code was May 09.  You may be able to get them at any Discount Tire, but my local Discount wanted over $500 out the door, so I kept looking, but others got a good deal at Discount Tire.  These tires now have over 3000 mi on them and I am very satisfied so far.

I toss my spare in the back of the pickup when traveling and toss it in the garage when home.  I agree having one will be worth its weight in gold if you need it.
2005 Sunline Solaris T-2499
1996 GMC K-1500 Sierra X-Cab, 5.7L, 3.73

HtownAg94Jayco95

• ---
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 07:54:07 AM »

My strategy:

1) Stay away from Carlisle

2) Go up one size and at least one load rating from the original tires - they put on whatever they can get away with to get them off the lot.

3) Carry a good jack and a spare

4) Avoid Carlisle - no matter what the guy at Discount Tire says...

What to keep in mind:  Pay more for the tire and it will save you the headache of a blow out and a bunch of $$$ that you will need to fix the damage that the tire does to your rig...  and stay away from Carlisle.

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 08:45:48 AM »
To your strategy, I would add:  Ensure proper inflation before each trip.
Marc...

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 07:33:18 PM »
Our Vanguard 5'er has the spare mounted on the nose above the hitch, it is about all I see with the interior mirror. I have not needed it yet but should not be too much of a problem while standing in the box.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 09:03:28 PM »
I think you guys got it figured out.  I came to the same conclusion after having two tires go bad in about 500 miles.  I always have been very careful to keep them inflated to the max of 50psi, so I know that improper inflation was not the problem.  As near as I can tell, the 205/75-15 Carlisles had about 6000 Miles on them.  Both had tread separations, however I caught the second one before it blew out.  I immediately replaced the other two.  I hope going to the size larger , changing brands and having more plies will help.  I plan to make the change when these tires get approximately 5000 miles on them.  I'm going to watch them close. 

I probably should get rid of the old set now, however my old German Farmer upbringing won't let me take this set off until I've got some good out of them!!!!
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
2016 Cougar 28RLS