Questions to 75' B300 Motorhome Dodge Tradesman Surveyor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XJO

Hello together!

My name is Jochen and I live in germany.
I buyed my Dodge in 2005, and save it dry and warm into a storagehall.
In the next time I start to restore the rig, and my plan is to do it as original as possible. Unfortunately the stove and oven are not build with a so called "flame-fuse" so I have to replace them into a newer model.

The Dodge is nearly rust-free, runs up to 2000 in Hollywood, and was than imported to germany. So for my luck, the Chassis is the smalles job to do instead of the paintjob.
Inside you could see of course that into the dodge happens a lot in the last 34 years, but that is also nothing what is not to fix.
All mounted parts like showercabin, oven, stove, bed, fridge and so on looks like original to me. Only few cables for additional batterys and an former Hifi system are made by some.... "not too knowledged one" and are easily to remove.
At the floor is put on a really scary childs-carpet, will do something in dark grey there. The outside should been painted in beige, with red applications on, close to the current design I think.

Somebody told me, that a dodge with this turtle top and in this color was put on a original Dodge Advertisement paper before years, could someone confirm this, or better HAS this ad?

Also I would like to know, if this Tradesman Surveyor, is done by Dodge itself, or made by a thirdparty converter?

Thanks for reading, and now some pictures from my Dodge:

Best regards
Joe

Attachments

• dodge_1.jpg
    dodge_1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 70
  • dodge_2.jpg
    dodge_2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 57
  • dodge_3.jpg
    dodge_3.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 48
  • dodge_4.jpg
    dodge_4.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 60
  • dodge_5.JPG
    dodge_5.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 53
  • dodge_6.JPG
    dodge_6.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 57
  • dodge_7.JPG
    dodge_7.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 64
  • dodge_8.JPG
    dodge_8.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 60
Anyone have an answer or comments for Jochen?

The best I can remember Dodge cargo vans were Tradesman. They also made passenger vans that was called sportsman. I believe that Surveyor would be a third party conversion added to the cargo van. The turtle top and interior would be part of the Surveyor package add on. My father had a 1977 Sportsman that I still see on the road every once in a while. You got a great find there.

Welcome.  Good looking van.  Dodge has an excellent record for engine and drive train.  I just worked on rear axle of my 1999 to change gear ratio lower to pull a trailer.  104,000 miles and looks like new on the inside.

Hey,

thank you all for the comments, and the call to help.
Yes I could nearly not belive the great condition of the Van.
Friday after work, I lift it up with our Trucklift, and have sandblasted the underbody to paint it new. It was unbelivable to see for me, how great the underbody is still after 34 years.
Now with new paint on the shiny metall, it seem that you can eat from it.

The guy I bought it from, put in a lot of new parts in the states before he imported the van. Brakes, Muffler, Tires, Wheels, Ignition is new.
The engine seems to run well, but the carb isn't as good. It need some rounds to start, and then the idle isn't stable until it is warm.
The Handlaver for the automatic gear has a lot of "deadway" when I move it between R and D. From P in R is ok, but to go into D I have to move it down to 2.
I think I have to check the joints from the leaver all around, don't think it is a problem of the gearbox or it there something known?

Herer Pics from below.

Attachments

• strahlen_33.jpg
    strahlen_33.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 42
  • strahlen_31.jpg
    strahlen_31.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 39
  • strahlen_47.jpg
    strahlen_47.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 37
  • strahlen_48.jpg
    strahlen_48.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 32
  • strahlen_50.jpg
    strahlen_50.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 39
Hi Wodnek,

thanks for the hint.
Found a little play below the brakebooster. There comes the linkage out from the steeringwheel, and will be turned 90? to move in the direction of the tranny. Hope it is understandable what I mean ;-)
Will see if a friend of mine, could make me a new bushing.

Hey Jochen,

I am going to pick up the title to a 76 or 77 B300 Tonight.  I was also very suprised at the condition it was in.  I decided I wanted it as soon as I climbed under it and saw how clean the frame and body was.  I have almost no work to do on the engine, drivetrain, body, or suspension.  I have a lot of work to do in the interior though.  There is some water damage and the whole thing will have to be gutted and rebuilt.

What do you mean about a flame-fuse in the stove?  This is my first RV and I'm still learning a lot.

Your van is very nice  ;)
Boris

Hi Boris,

thanks for your compliment, and congratulations to your Van!

The "Flame Fuse" is a very low tech security issue. It senses over a bimetall or tempereture sensitive liquid if the flame is on or of. If it is on or you hold the throttlevalve, the gas can flow, if the flame is of because wind or whatever, it stops the gas more or less fast, to prepare any "explosion".

The older systems like in my Van do not have this system, the newer ones you can buy currently have it.
It could be possible to put one in by myself, but I will put in a new stove, oven and heater, than I am on the safe side.

Best regards Joe

Ah, thanks.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the stove or oven.  I guess I'll see about that when I start taking it all apart.

Hello there big green van.  My name is Jeffree, and I purchased a 77 Surveyor.  I am loving this van but hating it at the same time.  I purchased it from someone who owned it for a year and only used it as a van, not a camper.  All the appliances, tanks, hoses etc. are in unknown condition.  I have removed the fresh water tank and am currently trying to clean it out.  I will replace all the hoses and water pump to help ensure clean water.  My MAIN question is about the electrical.  How is the house battery charged from the alternator?  Is there a solenoid or diode or something under the hood?  I have a funky cylindrical shaped thing located just above the battery under the hood.  Is that it?  Shoot me a message at [email protected] and we can swap photos and hopefully you can help me get mine up and running ready for adventure come summer time.

Thanks, Jeffree

BIGGREENDODGE hasn't been back here for nearly 4 years so don't expect any answers from him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom