Water tanks in an '08 Outlook and the cold weather. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadowfax

So the plan was to take a final trip to the southwest this coming week and then winterize the rig when we got back. Naturally, the weather picks this year to be unseasonably cold. Looks like we'll have a couple of nights in the mid to high 20's (F). Any issues with filling the freshwater tank? I figure there should be room for the water to expand if it does start to ice over, but that the volume of water alone should keep it from freezing. In addition, this Outlook was equipped with underbay heat and tank heaters (though the tank heaters may be black/grey only and not fresh), so, no worries yes?  Just looking for a little reassurance before I hit the road tomorrow.

When we expect weather in the 20s, I place some insulation in the plumbing bay and run a light bulb.  Never had a problem.  Don't leave your water hose hooked up though!  I think the primary worry would be the pump and plumbing and not the tanks freeezing.

It's my understanding that the Outlook has exposed black and gray holding tanks with the optional heaters.  ???  Also, the fresh water tank is inside the motorhome under the bed.  ???

If that is the case, I wouldn't worry much about driving in those type temps, ALTHOUGH you might have your valves freeze on the holding tanks....just don't plan on using the valves.....

We do the same as John does, trouble light in the holding tank area, and a trouble light in the water pump area (water pump and holding tanks are in separate areas), but our holding tanks are enclosed.

Yeah, the holding tanks are completely open, but are heated. If you believe the stealership, the heaters are sufficient to keep the valves from freezing. I guess we'll find out, as I don't think a 9 day trip is going to happen without dumping at least the grey tank once or twice. The water pump is supposedly also located more inside the coach than outside, and so I'm thinking the furnace should keep it warm as well. 

I hope ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom