rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Network Help  (Read 1622 times)

mweber (KC9NPT)

• ---
Network Help
« on: October 22, 2009, 11:40:41 AM »
I run a small windows network( domain, not peer to peer) and all of a sudden I have a problem with one user not being able to login to one workstation. She can log into network on any of the other 7 workstations on the network.

Anybody have any ideas as to where to look? Any other user can log onto the network on that workstation.

Merrill

Moderator, sorry I put this in wrong area, please move to pc's.

Thanks.
Merrill
KC9NPT

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2002 Grand Cherokee
Chicago 'burbs, IL

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
Re: Network Help
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 12:21:37 PM »
Is the problem logging onto the workstation or seeing the network once she's logged in?

Are you really running a domain based network or workgroup based?  Most small Windows networks are workgroups and all computers on the network must belong to the same workgroup.  Check that out first.  Control Panel | System and see what it says on that computer for that user and compare to one of the other ones.

If you're really running a domain controller, then we have to look elsewhere.  I'm not that familiar with domain based networks as they are typically found in enterprise networks, not SOHO networks.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

mweber (KC9NPT)

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 01:04:23 PM »
Ned,

It's a domain network and she's getting "Domain Name" is not available. She can login on any other work station.

I have a Windows 2003 server and 7 workstations. Server holds my database and Quickbook files, as well as files that need to be accessible to everyone.

Everything was fine until I did acleanup of "account unkown" roaming profiles. Everyone else works, just not this one user on this one workstation. She's fine on the other 6.
Merrill
KC9NPT

2002 Grand Cherokee
Chicago 'burbs, IL

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 01:10:16 PM »
Domain servers are a bit out of my experience, so I'm afraid I won't be of much help.  Obviously her profile is ok as she can log on at other workstations.  I would search the MS Knowledge Base.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

TriadThinker

• ---
    • Spiked Coffee Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 02:42:55 PM »
Try logging into that computer with the network cable unplugged. If you can, then you know the problem is with the PDC. The quick fix is to copy her login to a new one and see if that works on all workstations. Another option would be to take that workstation off the domain, back to workgroup, then try to install a new LMHOSTS file pointing to the PDC and see if that cures it. Just a thought.
J
Traveling in my
2009 Winnebago Access 31N
with my
Wife
Moca (Spaniel)
Java (Golden)
Read our blog http://www.spikedcoffee.net
Find us at http://locate.spikedcoffee.net
See my stuff at http://picasaweb.google.com/TriadThinker

mweber (KC9NPT)

• ---
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
Somehow this workstation got deleted from the domain. Rejoined the domain this AM and all is well.

Thanks for everybody's responses.

Merrill
Merrill
KC9NPT

2002 Grand Cherokee
Chicago 'burbs, IL