Golf Carts & RV'ing ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

razu13612

UP State NY, Headwaters of the St Lawrence River
I have been toying around with leaving the "toad" at home and taking a Golf Cart/Trailer instead.  I am using the term "Golf Cart" in a very broad manner for the sake of this discussion, realizing that there are many differences between ATV/LSV/NV/etc............ My basic question is IF any of you take along a "Golf Cart" vehicle in place of a regular 4 wheel "toad" ?????????  We have no problem with taking our Jeep, but find that we use it for errands while we are parked and rarely for any long day excursions.  Using the modified "Golf Cart" would fill this purpose (errands) and be suitable for in/around the campground use, as well as shorter day explorations of the surrounding area........... And, much cheaper to operate on a daily basis (only get 14MPG with the Jeep).......... What got me thinking about the electric LSV was that I saw them being used on military bases and the DW commented on how "cute and economical" they were (we are retired military and spend a lot of time in/around military bases).  Your comments and observations are invited!!!!!

You cannot always drive any of those type vehicles in parks, on roads, and even off road.  Your use may end up being limited.

IMHO, golf carts should be banned from RV parks (especially Ft Wilderness) except for handicapped people.

Bruce,

If you'd been to the West Yellowstone KOA, you'd wish you had a golf cart. The very narrow walkways are routinely traversed by guys on mini motorcycles. The "roadways" are amass with kids.This is completely nuts, and an accident waiting to happen. But, when the "English" owner/manager told me "kiss my xxx", I knew this was a newbie/idiot in the campground world. I won't be going there again.

Tom, shoulda gone to Grizzley.  Bertter yet, if you let me know you are coming I may be able to get you a spot here by us with full hookups 1 mile from Old Faithful. 

As to golf carts at Ft W, it is part of the allure.  That place is so big, how else will you do it?

Bill,

Grizzly was full, so couldn't stay there.

Tom
Grizzly has open spots now, and the price is down to only 31 a night.  Let me know when you will arrive.

Of course, it better be before Tuesday, we are winterizing the coach.  (driving south)

Back on topic, I like my MC in lieu of a golf cart.  But then I can't drive the paths.

To the OP. The federal government is now offering a tax CREDIT that may cover the full purchase price of a "Street legal electric "golf cart"".  Use Google.
I am looking into it now, before the credit expires.  It's actually free money (your neighbors are paying).
Good luck.

29er said:
To the OP. The federal government is now offering a tax CREDIT that may cover the full purchase price of a "Street legal electric "golf cart"".  Use Google.
I am looking into it now, before the credit expires.  It's actually free money (your neighbors are paying).
Good luck.

Are you SERIOUS !?!?!  :eek:

PLEASE post ANY info that you find on that. I JUST bought a used electric. I'd LOVE to get some cash back !!  ;D

Back on topic ...

It is my understanding that is a campground does allow carts, most require that they be electric not gas carts. Also, you must provide proof of insurance before unloading it.

I've heard ( but haven't seen first hand ) that some areas along the Jersey shore ( Avalon, Sea Isle etc ) are now allowing carts to be used. I think it's a GREAT idea !! It is my understanding though that right now, golf carts are NT allowed on public roads ( too slow I guess ... LOL )

the tax credit is only for new street legal electric cars and has to be 2009 or newer. Not all manufactures and all models were approved. The dealer also has to sell motor vehicles. You are also required to license the car and take out insurance to get the rebate. Expires 12/31. The tax credit varies depending upon type of batteries in the car but can be up to about $5600. New street legals start at about $8000, so you can get most of the "car" paid for.

The qualifying legislation is Section 1141-1144 of H.R. 1, the "Stimulus Bill".

My reading says the full credit applies only to "regular" electric cars like the Tesla Roadster, which has a list price of $100,000.

Low speed vehicles ("street legals") only receive a credit of 10% of the purchase price, and they have to be primarily designed to run on a public road, not a golf cart.

I'd love to be proved wrong on this.

I read something similar in another forum and there is actually two tax credits on a low speed electrical car. let me see if I can post it here.

PLEASE let me know what you guy's find out about this.

If it expires soon, I gotta get crack-a-lackin  ;D

Most people think that my toad is a golf cart.  It is a Smart ForTwo.  Same length as my Yamaha golf cart, just a little wider. :D

I reopened this topic because  I did a search in the forum and tax credits are still out there.

I also have a golf cart and was wondering how the RV parks would take a golf cart instead of a toad. I would use it for erands and a trip back and forth to the pool. We looked at the Gem Car, which has to have insurance and a tag BUT also gets the tax credit or a golf cart which usually just needs lights. 

Tax Credit Info: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

Most of the camp grounds I park at no problem with golf Carts.. Tell me more about the GEM car.

A few campgrounds (The smarter ones) DO require golf car operators to be licensed drivers.

Short story: One such CG, the family pre-16 teen took the golf cat and tore out of the family center parking lot like a bat out of the devil's domain.  A park employee hollered. and my best guess is he turned to flip her the bird because well.. When an inexperienced driver turns in the seat the vehicle tends to follow. he went off the road, off the bridge, through the rail and nose first into the lake... It was a rented golf car.. The family had to buy the park a brand new one!!!

(Not to mention paying idiot's hospital bills)

It says at the entrance only licensed drivers, it says it 2 or 3 times in the contract and in a few other places the parents had to sign... Oh well.. better them than me paying those fees.

John,
www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/gem-electric-car/

The Army uses them alot at Ft Benning, and the Marine Corps are using them. They are cute and seem very reliable. We found a bunch on craiglist when we were looking but they were a little more $$$ than we had planned on spending at the time. Georgia just changed the law for golf carts on city streets, you must now have seatbelts, a horn, turn signals. Always had to have lights and windshield. We are moving to the country on 6 acres so it is a non issue.

There are so many options out in the market now.
Low Speed Vehicles (LSV)
Neighborhood Electric Vehicles (NEV)

I did a google search and found out that you have an electric vehicle rental place in detroit : try before you buy :)
http:// lsvrental.com/michigan/detroit_mi/index.htm

I see the issue of having teen age kids driving around the CG. I am suprised I survived my teenage years without killing me or someone else on the road.
Hope this helps.

ChiefM "I see the issue of having teen age kids driving around the CG. I am suprised I survived my teenage years without killing me or someone else on the road.'
My Mom, w/me @ Holiday Trav-L-Park in Va. Beach, made that same comment when we saw some "teens" tooling around the park in a fancy set up..6 in the rig and ducking in and out of the empty lots like a game of dodge ball..somehow I think she was referring to me not her.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom