Fleetwood A/C question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WVRVEer

We have a 2003 Beaver Monterey and it has 2 A/C units. It's 40' and the LR area does not cool in warm climates enough. We have purchased a portable A/C unit to help, but we are now looking at new Fleeltwood's for a trade. We are interested in the Discovery 40X, but cannot find any with 3 A/C units. We are not familar with the A/C units in Fleetwoods. Are 2 units enough or do we need to move onto the 40K that has 3 units?

Where are you located and where do you plan to be when you think you might need the 3rd A/C ??? If your A/Cs are 15k models, 2 should be adequate in most situations except if you are in Phoenix in July ;) The 2 15k A/Cs should be able to handle a 20? reduction in temperature in most areas, but in Phoenix in July, that only gets you to the 90's ;D

We've been steeming hot in Myrtle Beach, which isn't "that" hot compared to AZ, etc. We have a 15,000BTU and a 13,000 BTU and the LR gets very hot. So hot that we can't stand it.  We have looked everywhere and cannot find the BTU's for the Fleetwood Descovery to see if 2 units are enough. We also can't tell by the placement of the units to see if that helps. Any help or info is greatly appreciated. Before we take a new plunge into a new RV, we'd really like to know if 2 are enough in Fleetwood models.

I can't find any information that a 3rd AC is even available as a option on any 2009 D model.
A Heat Pump is a option.

My 11 year old D has 2 AC and in the 80's I only run the rear one on low.
When it hits the 90's then I will turn the front one on low. And that is sitting out in the sun with no shade in FL.
Right now it is 85 outside and the rear AC has been shut off automatically for a while now.

The D's have double pane windows and good all around insulation.

You can Check them out Here

Most 40 footers have only two a/c units. Not sure why the 40k has three. Maybe poor air circulation in that floor plan?

Check the size of the a/c units - some are 13.5k btu and others 15kbtu models.  I have 13.5kbtu heat pumps in my 40 foot American Tradition and wish the front was 15 kbtu. Will probably upgrade it when I have the $$$ available.

WVRVEer said:
We've been steeming hot in Myrtle Beach, which isn't "that" hot compared to AZ, etc. We have a 15,000BTU and a 13,000 BTU and the LR gets very hot.

Among other things, I would have someone take a look at your system. Are your vents and diverters tight and properly sealed? Are your filters clean? Check the insulation around the return air ducts. How cold is the air coming from the vents, should be at least 20? colder than the interior temperature?

Thanks for all of the advice. We have checked the system, filters, etc to make sure everything is clean. I really believe it's where they are positionedon the roof...

I am assuming LR is "living room" if so most LRs include the windshield area, a windshield really needs a reflective medium that has a foil on one side and an insulator on the other as well as awnings over the windows to be very effective at keeping cool.>>>Dan

Yes, LR is for Living Room. Sorry, I'm an appraiser and that's a work thing. Anyways, we have covers for all of the front windows and pull the drapes, etc. Still too hot!

Back
Top Bottom