Another mini rally in Discovery Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom, thanks for the rain info.  The last time Ben Lomond got it that bad was when one of Jerry's relatives died and we were in Santa Cruz for the funeral.  His pilot uncle had his shortwave radio and kept up with the accident reports on CA-17 going back over the hill.  When there was a break in weather and traffic we all made a run for it.  Quite a drive with both us having our heads out the windows so we could see through the rain.  Lots of trees down and mudslides.  I remember Ben Lomond because Jerry's cousin lived there at the time and it was really flooded.  Their home wasn't damaged but some of their neighbors didn't fare as well.

Russ, Kabul is definitely one to check out.  We love the chicken kebabs and the pumpkin, not to mention yummy cardomon tea and elephant ears for dessert.  ;)  Glad you're tucked away and dry.

ArdraF

Aye Ardra, they must like rain up there. On the weather update this morning, they reported that Ben Lomond had over 10" of rain in 24 hours.

Not sure I'd eat elephant ears  ???

Tom, elephant ears are dessert.  A flaky crusty thing probably deepfried (and not the least bit healthy) and dusted with confectioners sugar.  Suspect anyone who likes sweets would like this kind!  ;)  Actually I've seen them in various places around the country, often called by another name dependent on the culture.  The Mexicans have something similar but I don't recall their name.

It's interesting how a name turns us off.  When we were in Australia the Aussies told me I should try the Moreton Bay Bugs and the Mud Crabs.  Neither sounded very appealing to me, but finally someone said "they're like your Maine lobsters."  Ahh, the magic words.  They were wonderful!

ArdraF

Ah, fake elephant ears, or elephant ear shaped thingies. Thanks for clarification Ardra.

I haven't had an elephant ear in years.  It's one of my favorite pastries.  They're big and round, thus the name.

Ardra said they're deep fried, so that must mean lots of bad cholesterol.

I'm guessing they're fried - if anyone knows for sure please do speak up.  Or not.  Maybe I really don't want to know.  ;D

ArdraF

Couldn't stand my own suspense so Googled them.  They're baked!  The couple of recipes I found use puff pastry.  I specifically did not check fat and/or cholesterol content.  Do not want to know that!  ;)

ArdraF

Never saw a deep fried elephant ear, they're baked just like any other pastry.  Maybe they do it differently in California :)

Naw, they probably just look so sinful I thought they were fried.

ArdraF

Well, I confounded myself.  I again Googled them, but this time as Afghan Pastry Elephant Ears Recipe.  Their version IS fried, one at a time.  The ones they serve at Kabul are the size of a dinner plate and meant to be shared.  The ones I've seen around the country are much smaller and maybe they're baked.

Either way, they're good!

ArdraF

Ned said:
I haven't had an elephant ear in years.  It's one of my favorite pastries.  They're big and round, thus the name.

Ned

Make a run to Phoenix this week for the AZ State Fair. You can get your fill of elephant ears ;D ;D

rhmahoney said:
I asked about handicapped parking near the aquarium. She said to go behind the aquarium and apply at the gate for access to limited handicapped parking in the employee lot. Turned out there was none available so I went with plan B. She also told me that I could, with my handicap licence plates, just park at a metered street parking slot and not even have to put money in the meter! I was there over 4 hrs and got no ticket!

Russ, in California, with handicapped plates, you can park pretty much anywhere that isn't red curb, no paying, no time limits. Signs say "20 minute parking"? Doesn't apply to you. Yellow curbs? Park as long as you want. Meters? Park as long as you want without putting in money. "Residents Only" signs? You can park there, too. Also, if you don't have one, you can get a disabled pass from the state that gets you half-price camping in the state parks. Very friendly handicapped state.

Wendy

BernieD said:
Ned

Make a run to Phoenix this week for the AZ State Fair. You can get your fill of elephant ears ;D ;D

Also Fried Corn-on-the-Cob and Fried Twinkies. Should be good for your cholesterol.

Phoenix will have to wait until December, I'm afraid.  Maybe you could email me a few :D

OK, are these baked or fried  ???  No award for second place!

The "experts" need to familiarize themselves with their subject area  ;)

BTW some of the folks participating here would call "thread drift" if it was "their thread"  :eek:

Real pastry cooks would never deep fry their products.  Fairs don't count :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom