Length limitations at National Parks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Twin Peaks Campground (in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument) used to advertise 35' as the max length, but if you drove up in a 40' you would find an entire row designated for over 35'.  I notice they now advertise 40' as the max length.

Our usual procedure is to first stay in a commercial campground in an area of interest and then scout out non-commercial parks in the Jeep

Do they still have the lines painted on the road for the RV limit? Did they repaint them to 40-feet? I'd be interested to know if it's overall lenght (MH w/toad or trailer w/tow vehicle) or if it's just the RV length.

Wendy

I just finished a camp host gig for the BLM at Calf Creek Recreation Area in Utah.  At the entrance there is a sign that states not recommended for RVs over 25 ft.  There are several sites that will accommodate about any length rig, and we didn't prevent anyone from entering.  Calf Creek must be crossed via a ford in order to reach the back side of the campgrounds.  A rig that has a long overhang behind the rear wheels would likely drag and cause damage to the RV.  Apparently that is the reason for the recommendation there. 

A lot of the length limitations and suggestions are probably to keep someone from suing the government if their RV is damaged by trying to get into an area that they're too big for. We are a lawsuit-happy society.

Wendy

Wendy said:
Do they still have the lines painted on the road for the RV limit? Did they repaint them to 40-feet? I'd be interested to know if it's overall lenght (MH w/toad or trailer w/tow vehicle) or if it's just the RV length.

Wendy - didn't notice any lines on the pavement, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.  The 40' limit is the motorhome length (when talking about Class A rigs.)  We discussed the situation with the work-camper in the contact station, and drove around the CG.  Saw many 40' Class As in the 40' row.  I assume we're discussing the same CG?

John, I think there are only 2 campgrounds in Organ Pipe and one is for tents so we must be talking about the same one. Maybe we'll have to go thru ORPI on the way home and check it all out. Or on the way to Puerto Penasco in February.

Wendy

Wendy said:
While we may not know the reason why 35' was chosen as the maximum, I'm sure there was a reason.

Wendy,

You may be right but I trust this person's assessment. It may be for a reason other than the roads. In any case, we enjoyed thre trip through the park with the toads.

In my experience, the 29 ft length limit is usually for the turns and roads in a park.  A travel trailer or a fifth wheel can bend around some of those tight turns much easier than a comparable size motorhome.  Many older campgrounds, such as El Morro National Monument nearby, have great roads but only one spot fit for an RV (and a short one at that).

For example, I called the Forest Service about Madera Canyon campground in AZ.  I was told there was a 27ft length limit.  I parked my 27ft trailer at a friend's property and drove my pickup truck in.

Yes, there was a concrete flash flood  ditch across the road that was also on a sharp corner.  It would have been a problem for a motorhome, especially one with a long overhang in the back (This is most of the shorter ones) or a rig with little ground clearance.

Lo and behold, sitting in the host spot was a travel trailer the same model as mine.  THEY got in.  There were a three sites that I could have fit into.

Some of Joshua Tree National Park's campgrounds have a 24ft length limit, and you better take it seriously.  I couldn't have gotten my extended cab, full bed pickup truck into most of those sites and some of the turns were a challenge.

However, when in doubt, SCOUT IT OUT!  ;D

Of course, if you ask anyone in a tent and they would likely reply none of us should fit.  Among park visitors, i hd the impression that most of the improvements were all at the detriment of the pristine-ness of the park.  Had that conversation many many times.  Actually it is better now than near the turn of the previous century when hotels and such were popping up.  This was at Yellowstone.  If you watch the park movies by Ken Burns you can see some of that.  We had a lot less hotels  now than way back.

As to the campgrounds, same thing, they were little, 'SHOULD REMAIN LITTLE!' just ask anyone in a 20' coach.

John Canfield said:
Jim - we drove the campground (Twin Peaks) and it looked fine for a 40 footer.  We have been in far worse commercial ones.

Hi John,

That's what a friend also told me. Sometimes one just cannot understand the logic. :)

We've camped at Organ Pipe with our 35' plus toad.  Like John mentioned even 40' can fit.  We LOVE that campground, no hook ups; but we still love it and I'm not a fan of no hook ups.  It has great hiking, beautiful scenery and if you happen to be there after a good rain, the wild flowers are everywhere!  The Sonoran desert is much different than other deserts, in that there is a lot  more greenery and palo verde trees.

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom