Where to take my RV to refill propane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B

boblane

Seems like a simple enough thing, but can you take the RV to a gas station that sells propane, the same one I take my BBQ tank too?  Or are there specific places you need to go for the RV?  How about pricing, are there places to go that sell cheaper?  I have a friend who takes his portable tanks for his Toy Hauler to a commercial shop that the Roach Coach catering trucks use. I'm in Oceanside, CA by the way, if anyone is local and can recommend a spot.  Thanks!

I used to regularly fill the propane tank on our prior coach at the loal Chevron gas station. Used to fill up with gas, then drove around back to dump and, if I needed propane, fillied up.

There is no "special" place that you must go, anywhere that sells propane will do.  Many gas stations will have propane, I think most larger U-Haul outlets and a number of other places.  Look around for the best prices and go there.  ;)

Good point re U-Haul propane service John; I used to use them previously also. Occasionally I use an Ace Hardware store; Some are tough for a large coach to get to, but the one we visited in Kissimmee, FL was wide open.

On my last (and first) RV trip I noticed an RV center with a big sign that stated they sold propane. Well I figured it had a big lot to maneuver so what the heck. We got off of I-5 and filled up. It was only about 5 gallons of propane and when I went to pay the bill it was just a bit over $6...! I could not believe it. Such a deal!!
Usually gas stations charge at least $2.5 a gallon.

Kind regards,

JIm

L:Irving in a rural area I have a propane dealer (bulk heating dealer) near by. Usually cheaper.  On the road I prefer FJ for convenience.

Tony

FJ dispenses propane in lanes that are a bit tight for our 38' coach. It's the exit from the lanes, rather than the lanes themselves, that are the issue.

well go to http://www.blackle.com and enter something like Propane near 48423

Where the number is the zip code where you are parked

It will give you a list of propane places

Now some of 'em will be things like Blue Rhino swap a cylinder places. Skip those

Some may well be places like "Pete's Propane" (Generic name) when you visit the web page you will find that this is the kind of place that trucks propane out to re-fill the tanks at the gas-em-up station or delivers to homes and businesses.

CALL PETE's  (And Joe's And Sam's and Parker's and Carmichael's) NOTE two of those names happen to be real Propane Dealers) and find out their prices

I've seen some SERIOUS price differences between say,,, Where I'm parked,  and Where I filled up.. 2 to five dollars a gallon type differences.

John, (JFD) you are the inspiration for my selection of the quote in my signature line...

John From Detroit said:

Mea Culpa for the hijacked thread...but aren't the vast majority of computer screens LCD monitors?  An LCD uses a back light that is constantly on.  There is no difference in power demand whether the screen is black or white.  If everyone used plasma's that sight might be worthwhile, but for now I'll stick with google. :-\

boblane said:
Seems like a simple enough thing, but can you take the RV to a gas station that sells propane, the same one I take my BBQ tank too?  Or are there specific places you need to go for the RV?  How about pricing, are there places to go that sell cheaper?   I have a friend who takes his portable tanks for his Toy Hauler to a commercial shop that the Roach Coach catering trucks use. I'm in Oceanside, CA by the way, if anyone is local and can recommend a spot.  Thanks!

Is your propane tank permanently mounted to the RV? If so, just find a gas station that has a large propane tank and park and wait there. The chances are that somebody will come out to serve you. If not, go inside.

Don't always take the cheapest because that could depend on other factors such as if you need to dump your tanks. For an example, many gas stations that have RV dumps will let you dump your tanks for free as long as you buy propane (or gasoline) from them.

I did that last week when I drove my RV to my Reno home. I found a gas station on the way, by using this list that included a free dump, so I stopped at the Eureka Chevron in Roseville, just  off I-80, so I could fill the propane tanks and dump the holding tanks on the way to my other home.

-Don- SF, CA​

There are many local propane/CNG dealers in the smaller towns away from the larger cities. While we were traveling this summer, driving thru Watseka, IL we spotted a Hickgas location and filled up for $1.59/gallon.That's a $1/gallon or more cheaper than any campground or gas station we saw this last summer.

Any of the large propane dealers like Amerigas, Suburban, or Ferrellgas usually can handle large RVs driving to their pumps.  They're not difficult to find, especially in rural areas when you're driving along highways.  Also many campgrounds sell propane.  The main thing is to have a large enough turnaround area so you don't have to unhook your toad.  We have a nearby campground and the guy who fills their tanks actually stops by our house and fills our tank.  We're really lucky.  If you Google Propane and the name of the town you're in, you might find nearby LPG dealers.  We've never had a problem finding them.  In fact, it's surprising how many are around once you start looking for them.

ArdraF

It has been a long long time since I watched a propane tanker tanking up a 300 gallon above ground propane tank..but I think the difference between the tank on the truck, and the tank on the ground, and the tank on your RV, is nothign more than a standard adapter that likely cost the propane supplier less than a hundred bucks.

So yes, most of 'em should have the fittings

Back
Top Bottom